VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We've been served more than our portion when it comes to playing real-time action wargames, mostly focused on World War II era.

I feel it's time we have a fresh new batch of games that focus on the other sides.

How about, for a change,

1. We take the Germans as the Protagonist and US and Allies as Antagonists? I wonder how the Germans are taking these new games and viewing these games that smear them as villains again, and again and again. And again...

2. We play the roles of KGBs and go against the CIAs? And I'm not talking about Dungeon Keeper like scenario, where you are the bad guy. This time, the Russians ARE the good guys and going after the secret stealing CIAs?

3. The Chinese Govt.'s struggle against US's ambition of World Domination.

4. Discard the American slang of English speech in each and every game? Japanese games started hiring speakers with US slang that really takes away the tone and atmosphere . ( I just change the spoken language to Japanese, even if I don't understand it, but turn on the English subtitles.)

(It get's annoying, just like in one of our local language movies, there's a SINGLE female voice dub for every different heorine!! They seem to like her voice, but that shouldn't be made as an excuse to put in any heorine and simply use the same voice dubbing artist!)

If making games based on Romans, it will be better and more realistic to use the local language, or at least, hire the local roman to speak english, to better suit the atmosphere.

I remember in one of my favourite games, Assassin's Creed, I really wish they had really made those ancient languages alive. Even if I'm from another upbringing, I'd really love to hear people speak Hebrew while in Jerusalem. And infusing authentic Arab languages while in Damascus would have been excellent.

Just a suggestion and wish. Nothing to do with Foreign Policies.
I believe in only good friendship and love, withouth borders or religions. The hell with politics, religion and unnecessary boundaries.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some very good ideas. It's often nice to play from 'the other side'.

I like the Assassins Creed suggestion - that would be *very* atmospheric!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 18, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
We've been served more than our portion when it comes to playing real-time action wargames, mostly focused on World War II era. […]
Show full quote

We've been served more than our portion when it comes to playing real-time action wargames, mostly focused on World War II era.

I feel it's time we have a fresh new batch of games that focus on the other sides.

How about, for a change,

1. We take the Germans as the Protagonist and US and Allies as Antagonists? I wonder how the Germans are taking these new games and viewing these games that smear them as villains again, and again and again. And again...

2. We play the roles of KGBs and go against the CIAs? And I'm not talking about Dungeon Keeper like scenario, where you are the bad guy. This time, the Russians ARE the good guys and going after the secret stealing CIAs?

It would be interesting indeed to play the "other side" once in a while... but depends on the side ... some are/ were universally considered too repulsive to be worthy of consideration.

A good alternate history game I can think of is Napoleon: Total War where you can change history by defeating Wellington at Waterloo.

I could think of some other scenarios I would enjoy seeing:

CoD: MW2 had a super invasion USA level, woulda been nice to play the Russian side. Same with World in Conflict.

Or playing as the Japanese taking over the Pacific in WW2 vs. the Brits/ US.

Or flying MiG-15s against Sabres/ B-29s in Korea and MiG17s/ MiG-21s against F-4s in Vietnam. I used to love playing Thud Ridge on my IBM XT back in the day, and there was a level where you got to go against the legendary Vietnamese ace, Colonel Tomb, but sadly you could only fly F-105s and not as Colonel Tomb in his Mig-17. Still good fun though, going down Hanoi and bombing boats, buildings, the Paul Daumer bridge and shit... my Vietnamese friends would not appreciate that! 😵

But there's also some things I think few, if any people of sound mind would like to see though and which would be very insensitive, like playing as the Nazis and having them win... that's just warped. Playing as Arab forces against Israel would be another one, esp the '47 and Six-Day war- you'll know why if you know the history of Israel.

Other than that, I'm quite happy killing scores of Nazis/ Arab terrorists in the hundreds of games that throw scores of Nazis/ Arab terrorists at you to be killed.

Reply 3 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love playing both sides. It makes for an interesting gaming experience 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 18, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

1. We take the Germans as the Protagonist and US and Allies as Antagonists? I wonder how the Germans are taking these new games and viewing these games that smear them as villains again, and again and again.

I know, I know. Those Nazis just never get a fair shake.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 5 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's nearly impossible to get a WWII themed video game approved for publication in Europe now. If you ever tried to release a game where you got to play the Nazis, it would be banned immediately.

I can see it now, coming soon for XBox 360/PS3 and Windows PC, Concentration Camp Commandant! The EU parliament would have fits.

Reply 6 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
It would be interesting indeed to play the "other side" once in a while... but depends on the side ... some are/ were universall […]
Show full quote
Malik wrote:
We've been served more than our portion when it comes to playing real-time action wargames, mostly focused on World War II era. […]
Show full quote

How about, for a change,

It would be interesting indeed to play the "other side" once in a while... but depends on the side ... some are/ were universally considered too repulsive to be worthy of consideration.

A good alternate history game I can think of is Napoleon: Total War where you can change history by defeating Wellington at Waterloo.

I could think of some other scenarios I would enjoy seeing:

CoD: MW2 had a super invasion USA level, woulda been nice to play the Russian side. Same with World in Conflict.

Or playing as the Japanese taking over the Pacific in WW2 vs. the Brits/ US.

Or flying MiG-15s against Sabres/ B-29s in Korea and MiG17s/ MiG-21s against F-4s in Vietnam. I used to love playing Thud Ridge on my IBM XT back in the day, and there was a level where you got to go against the legendary Vietnamese ace, Colonel Tomb, but sadly you could only fly F-105s and not as Colonel Tomb in his Mig-17. Still good fun though, going down Hanoi and bombing boats, buildings, the Paul Daumer bridge and shit... my Vietnamese friends would not appreciate that! 😵

But there's also some things I think few, if any people of sound mind would like to see though and which would be very insensitive, like playing as the Nazis and having them win... that's just warped. Playing as Arab forces against Israel would be another one, esp the '47 and Six-Day war- you'll know why if you know the history of Israel.

Other than that, I'm quite happy killing scores of Nazis/ Arab terrorists in the hundreds of games that throw scores of Nazis/ Arab terrorists at you to be killed.

I remember some early strategic war games used to let you play the Germans in WWII. Crusade in Europe and Decision in the Desert by Microprose let you do that but the AI was geared so in favor of the allies that you had to turn it way down to even stand a chance and even then it was almost impossible to hold certain allied units back.

Reply 7 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I can see it now, coming soon for XBox 360/PS3 and Windows PC, Concentration Camp Commandant! The EU parliament would have fits.

🤣 🤣

Reply 8 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Close Combat series allowed both the allies and axis side of WW2 to be played. Usually without favouring one over the other. Just that the cover art always shows the allies. You can select english voices with accent, or actual english/german/russian.

TIE fighter was nice too, and the Star Wars universe seemed equally detailed, and equally strong, on both the rebel and the imperial side. As it should be.

Call of Duty (Vanilla) featured a russians campaign. thumbs up! Germans only available in multiplayer.

Il-2 Sturmovik also puts the emphasis on the soviets. German campaigns are also very detailed. You need a patch to show the real insignia on the german aircraft.

I remember a poll over at Third Wire Flight sim/games, about which aircraft to include next. There was a strong voice for the soviet MiG-17 or 21, which would finally make the red side playable. However in the end the majority voted for a western aircraft.. again... Fortunately user mods made the MiGs flyable ages ago.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the Nazis make good enemies because they gave you a good fight and had lots of interesting technology / weapons.

IMO all the "current" bad guys from Afganistan, Iraq and whatever are very primitive. They have AK-47s and some RPGs and that's about it. All the fun toys are with the western powers. I mean they could wipe them all out without breaking a sweat.

It would be heaps fun to have a game where a western power goes "mental" and you start off with an AK-47 and take them on...

Like some games such as F19 Stealth Fighter where you get to attack Libya. It's like attacking a child with a knife, totally no fun at all.

I like Games like Crysis that play with the "humans getting invaded" idea.

Oh and mercenaries of course. They always make good enemies.

Reply 11 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

a game where you play a hopping corpse.

I prefer a game where you play as an alien...makes me feel back home 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 18, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:
If making games based on Romans, it will be better and more realistic to use the local language, or at least, hire the local rom […]
Show full quote

If making games based on Romans, it will be better and more realistic to use the local language, or at least, hire the local roman to speak english, to better suit the atmosphere.

I remember in one of my favourite games, Assassin's Creed, I really wish they had really made those ancient languages alive. Even if I'm from another upbringing, I'd really love to hear people speak Hebrew while in Jerusalem. And infusing authentic Arab languages while in Damascus would have been excellent.

Just a suggestion and wish. Nothing to do with Foreign Policies.
I believe in only good friendship and love, withouth borders or religions. The hell with politics, religion and unnecessary boundaries.

Crysis's Delta difficulty mode tired something like this, in that the solders would speak Korean (You're fighting North Koreans) and they got native speakers to do it.

Wonder what happens when you play the Korean localization on Delta mode...

Reply 13 of 18, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Like some games such as F19 Stealth Fighter where you get to attack Libya. It's like attacking a child with a knife, totally no fun at all.

Yeah, I remember that one! Libya was the beginner level- a total turkey shoot.... I'd go in flying alerting all the radars and shit and come out of a bombing mission an ace 😜

Reply 14 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, arabian terrorists are quite new to the gaming scenes. So it might take some time for shooting them to be worn out. But looking at how the Nazis are still being screwed, that might take forever too. 😁

And enough of killing aliens and more aliens (including pigs in LAPD uniform 😜), zombies and more zombies and skeletons. Please? (At least, in FPS genre). Oh, and experiment-gone-wrong creatures too. Sigh....

😁

Reply 15 of 18, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Yeah, arabian terrorists are quite new to the gaming scenes. So it might take some time for shooting them to be worn out. But looking at how the Nazis are still being screwed, that might take forever too. 😁

Oh, I think the Arab terrorist thing will wear out soon... to be replaced by some other random ethnic group- North Koreans, Sub-Saharan Africans, PRC forces, etc.

But the Nazis will continue getting screwed..... 🤣

Reply 16 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

And enough of killing aliens and more aliens (including pigs in LAPD uniform 😜), zombies and more zombies and skeletons. Please? (At least, in FPS genre). Oh, and experiment-gone-wrong creatures too. Sigh....

😁

Nono,this alien! 😁

I know theres a new AVP in town, but I really dislike the blocking thing...totally unrealistic 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

😁

Not really new. Remember Operation Bodycount?

Reply 18 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Weren't you able to play Nazis in Wolfenstein? (the remake - Return to...?)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper