VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 35, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, they are still too expensive and the tiny capacity sucks a lot.

But I've got an SSD for windows and program files, and also a traditional mechanical drive for everything else.

Here in Spain you can get a 120GB intel SSD 320 series (the one I've got) for about 185 euros (taxes included)

Steep prices, but they are completely worth it, in my opinion.

Reply 22 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yes, the price is quite STEEP and I guess SSD drives also DIE after a finite number of write operations, right? (even if that number is high).

Must suck to have virtual memory turned on with an SSD. You'd burn the drive out really quickly with the constant reads/writes. Even defraging once in a while would burn up a lot of read/write cycles. I'd probably only use an SSD as a second drive and not as a primary. I'd rather let Windows thrash a cheap hard drive for use as virtual memory than an expensive SSD.

Reply 23 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would sort of defeat the purpose of having an SSD. Virtual memory on a standard HHD is one of the biggest bottlenecks for system speed/performance. If concerns all depend on the number of write operations, it only matters if the lifespan of an SSD under normal to heavy usage is significantly lower than a normal HHD. Of course they would be ideal for a laptop.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 24 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even defraging once in a while would burn up a lot of read/write cycles.

Yes it does, that's why you should not defrag an SSD. There's no point - its meant to reduce seek times on a standard HDD where the head has to physically move around to find data, with SSDs this does not happen, seek times are nearly instant regardless of the data's location.

Virtual memory is also a good thing to have on an SSD. Win7 is pretty efficient at virtual memory, if you have 4GB of RAM or more virtual memory rarely gets used. Of course if you had so little memory as to cause the disk to thrash virtual memory then you would be better off upgrading your RAM rather than buying an SSD.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 27 of 35, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Back on OT. I have just found out what was causing my recent hard lockups. It wasn't Prefetcher nor Superfetch. It was DXVA was enabled for some reason for playing videos.

Ah, did you recently update your codecs package ???

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 29 of 35, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yes I did. I don't know why it overwrote my settings.

Because most packs do that when installing using the express or automatic install.

I use the Cole2k Pack and the Advanced Installation, it allows you to pick and choose what gets installed and of course what may change in the way of settings 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 30 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the things that I like about the K-Lite Codec Pack installer is that it asks you about everything that it installs and all registry changes and defaults before it starts the installation process. The Mega pack also includes nearly any of the codecs that you are likely to encounter so you rarely ever encounter something that you cannot play. There is also a 64-bit package that x64 owners will want to install. I have installed it on many machines and have yet to encounter a single issue with it, like I have with some other big codec packs.

Reply 32 of 35, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always wondered about those codec packs, but never took the time to download and install one.

I use ffdshow-tryouts and matroska splitter, together with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

With that combination I can watch everything I've downloaded so far.

What would I gain if I used one of those packs? I think it must be support for extremely rare files, because I've yet to encounter one I couldn't play!

Reply 34 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have known ffdshow to cause problems with certain games that can only be solved by uninstalling ffdshow.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 35 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLC, CCCP and Indeo codec are all I need.

Speaking of it's been updated: http://www.cccp-project.net/

http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/index.php?topic=5799.0

CCCP generally built with VS2010 SP1, thus official support for older-than-SP3 Windows XP and Windows 2000 is dropped

Guess I'm going to have to start piecing together a codec pack for the older Operating Systems.

K-lite still works with Windows 2000 but you either have to use an older ver of MPC or haxor it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline