СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 2 of 28, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find this hilarious for three reasons:

1. *I* primarily use IE, but I have other browsers installed just in case something doesn't work properly with it.

2. I have had more problems with Mozilla-based browsers, Opera, and Chrome, than I've ever had with IE.

3. Whenever I report website problems, people tell me to use a specific browser, likely the one they recommend to everyone and the ONLY one their website works perfectly with, since I've usually tested their site on at least IE and Firefox before contacting them.

Stereotypes are fun! :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Previously they used to attack Microsoft. And now they started attacking it's users? Sigh.

What rubbish study is that? Some people have nothing better to do, I guess. 🤣

Just let people use what they are used to and like to use.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 28, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@leileilol: Netscape users weren't even covered by the study. It was long dead before it started in 2006. Opera users are the winners here.

@Gemini: Many "website problems" are due to needing to code multiple versions of pages so they will work with the frequently non-standard IE. It's a significant hindrance coding something compliant with standards that works everywhere but IE, and then needing to re-tweak it endlessly to work around IE's flaws. From my web development days the sooner we can put IE in the grave the better.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 6 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And really, you don't even need IE if you have Opera anyway because the last time I checked, Opera had a IE emulation mode built in so sites that specifically check if you are using IE can be fooled.

Reply 7 of 28, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One important thing to consider; we're not in the IE6 era anymore. IE has become a lot safer in recent years, though it's annoying limitations and lack of features remain.

I recall having watched many interviews with cream-of-the-crop scientists who happened to have computers on their desktops, and in several occasions I spotted IE maximized, displaying a relevant website.

I think it all comes down to how much you surf the web, and keeping an inferior browser for heavy surfing is stupid. That's what they should have taken into account for the test.

Reply 8 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe a lot of IE6 users are corporate PC's that are stuck with IE6 due to compatibility issues with some application. Or perhaps simply lazy admins who haven't bothered to upgrade. In australia it seems a lot of government departments are still using IE6.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm happy with IE9.

Though on one of my netbooks I use Firefox (single core netbook with Ubuntu). On the dual core netbook (W7) I also have chrome. Khans Academy is really slow on IE. When you use the scratch pad, it lags and you can't write smoothly.

This works flawlessly on Firefox and Chrome.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My favorite browser has been Opera for the last years, ever since I found Firefox to start running more sluggishly.
"Studies" like these are fun, but everyone knows how bright they are, noone needs an internet browser for that 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 28, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over time I've used pretty much every windows compatible browser (and some that weren't), and I constantly come back to IE, Chrome, and dispite it's many let downs and overhype FF.

Infact, there were only a few browsers that I didn't like at all, so all in all, I'd say that this issue is built mostly around fanboyism and the occasional security hole.

Question now: does anyone still use the DOS browsers? Or did everyone else also take their older computers off the internet?

P.S. R.I.P. Netscape 🙁

Reply 19 of 28, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually legitimately use lynx from time to time. It's not quite DOS, but linux terminal is pretty darn close for a browser seeing real-world live use.

Usually for when I have to troubleshoot something with a web interface on a network that doesn't permit inbound http, and over a link too slow for VNC or X Forwarding.

If all else fails, use fire.