VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Demonlord's awesome site used to be a valuable resource for a long time, but it's been gone for over a year now.... the email address is unreachable too. Old pages are still accessible via the Web Archive, but not everything works.

This guy's work is invaluable when it comes to preservation, and it's a pity that all this content is gone from the web.
Anybody who knows Demonlord / been in touch with him by any chance? or just knows what happened to the site?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

His content is still out there if you know where to find it 😉

but yeah it's sad that the site is gone.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that one only has the Sir-Tech stuff and some of the info pages... anyway, I wouldn't want to post links here 😀
I was talking about the Web Archive at web.archive.org, but even their archive is broken in places.

Reply 4 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I managed to archive it several years back fearing this since it's a unique diskette game crack site. I don't think it's ethical though, it's highly on the "abandonware" side.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nobody here wants to go into illegal territory, but it would be a shame to let such good data go lost forever. If your house happens to burn down, all would be lost 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

to be honest, the "abandonware" thing isn't the reason I care (wouldn't have posted this if it was) - every dubious "collection"/"pack" of DOS games out there has probably added this stuff by now anyway. Retrograde was an important website because it was the work of one person, and was specifically dedicated to preserving games where the only media isn't even readable ordinarily.

So yeah, it's probably illegal. "Ethical", I'd argue, but that's not the point. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened with the site and why the project was discontinued... I guess legal problems are one possible answer.

Reply 7 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or maybe he just had enough of it? Noone knows

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 12, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Or maybe he just had enough of it? Noone knows

Yeah, this could be the case, I know I had run a website for awhile and was getting tired of maintaining it, some of the members were kind enough to help offset the cost of the site too so that was great but I ended up handing it over to one of the regular members who agreed to take over the reigns so to speak.

They put their own spin on things too, still visit the site too.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 9 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news (for those who care)... I did manage to contact Demonlord - there have been problems with the domain and he's been focusing on other things, but he hopes it won't be too long before he can get Retrograde back up again in a new location.

Reply 11 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A seemingly complete mirror of the site, although it may look slightly different, can be found here : http://detali2.ru/

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 12 of 12, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

A seemingly complete mirror of the site

At inf.ua works still. But seems it has outdated image, as last news of retrograde at trustno1 on archive.org is from 2006-12-24, not from 2006-04-03.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide