VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 100 of 156, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I believe Unreal II tried to do this maximus; unfortunately, the storyline and game play changed so much that it wasn't as much fun as the original was, IMHO.

As far as suggestions go, how about The Terminator: Rampage. I know the original came out just before Doom, and Bethesda really rushed it out the door (clunky controls and game play, lousy level design); but a remake with either the Quake 3 or Doom 3 engine and graphics could really make it shine.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 101 of 156, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wolfenstein 3D -

Let me elaborate. When Wolfenstein 3D came out, it was not only revolutionary in the sense that it was an unprecedented demonstration of new technology, but also in that it captured the aura of the Nazis perfectly. The graphics were crude, but they were there to demonstrate the horrific monstrosity of these people. Yes, there were some elements of mutant enemies in the game, but they were there to demonstrate the twisted machinations of the régime. The bosses were the culmination of each episode, an arrogant, oversized German. Kill him, and the nightmare is a little closer to being over. What especially stands out for till this day is the secret level with the purple walls and the haunting soundtrack. I can smell the charred human flesh of Auschwitz when playing that level. There are many other little details in the game which gave it such an authentic feel.

It's no wonder why Germany banned it.

Fast forward to the Q3-based "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" sequel. Nice graphics but empty, facile and infantile plotlines. Femme-fatales, creatures from other dimensions. This is not what the first game was about at all.

Re-do the first game by bringing the textures up to date, enhance the audio and soundtrack but don't change it. Anything else is an abomination.

Reply 102 of 156, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sort of did get a 'modern' indie remake a few years ago, but it's so cruft filled I want to deny its existence. It was less about Wolfenstein and more about some pretentious love for a 'retro shooter'.... and overcommercialized fictional cartoon ponies. You read that right.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 104 of 156, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Duke Nukem 3D definitely. One of the best games ever made.
So much character and possibilities in that game.

Id kill to see more adventures in that style. Not the crappy Forever thing, but DN3D style.
Crashing in, kicking ass, chewing bubble gum, girls, guns, swears, awesome music, alien bastards.

Comedy, action, drama, Duke has it all 😀

One of those games id love to see with more adventures, but not in the sense of remade graphics, polished effects, but the same thing. Thats already seen and it was beautiful.
In the sense of more episodes in his style. Low poly, low graphics, or not, it does not matter. What matters is the love for the character and the game.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 105 of 156, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Defiantly "merit's galactic reunion" the difficulty is so nice and challenging u miss something and you are up against some heavy resistance 😀 Also betrayal at krondor , darklands and albion 😀

Last edited by Binleroy on 2015-02-17, 01:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 106 of 156, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote:
Wolfenstein 3D - […]
Show full quote

Wolfenstein 3D -

Let me elaborate. When Wolfenstein 3D came out, it was not only revolutionary in the sense that it was an unprecedented demonstration of new technology, but also in that it captured the aura of the Nazis perfectly. The graphics were crude, but they were there to demonstrate the horrific monstrosity of these people. Yes, there were some elements of mutant enemies in the game, but they were there to demonstrate the twisted machinations of the régime. The bosses were the culmination of each episode, an arrogant, oversized German. Kill him, and the nightmare is a little closer to being over. What especially stands out for till this day is the secret level with the purple walls and the haunting soundtrack. I can smell the charred human flesh of Auschwitz when playing that level. There are many other little details in the game which gave it such an authentic feel.

Fast forward to the Q3-based "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" sequel. Nice graphics but empty, facile and infantile plotlines. Femme-fatales, creatures from other dimensions. This is not what the first game was about at all.

Re-do the first game by bringing the textures up to date, enhance the audio and soundtrack but don't change it. Anything else is an abomination.

Let is be done right then this time and no I'm not a fan of Wolfenstein 3D at all, not after having played the original Castle Wolfenstein, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein and the Castle Smurfenstein spoof.
In those games I feld I wass defying the odds and had to use stealth (first game to use this) and try my luck in shooting open doors, all the while an SS-Gestapo officer could come in and instandly recognise me.
Meh, Wolfenstein 3D was just a brainless shooter.

Reply 107 of 156, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- All of the Wing Commanders: Improved graphics only, and nothing more. Same for X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance (but X-wing also requires TIE Fighter style gameplay and controls).
- All the Larry and Space Quest series: Improved graphics, maybe a 3D environment (KOTOR type game play?).
- First five Tomb Raiders: Improved graphics and somehow better controls.
- Bioforge: Improved graphics and significantly improved controls, real 3D environment.
- Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II, Duke Nukem 3D: Improved graphics (even Half Life 2/FarCry level graphics will be ok, but Crysis 2 level would be more preferable).
- Warcraft II, Starcraft, SW Galactic Battlegrounds: Improved graphics only.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 108 of 156, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DreamWeb... but, at the same time, I'm afraid about thinking a sequel for this great (and underrated) title, surely one of my favs. Last of The Seven (Dr. Beckett) words let us imagine that a second chapter could be possible and coherent - You will be eternally reborn and walk the Earth again and again...

Reply 110 of 156, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MechWarrior 3, and MechWarrior 2 as a second priority. MW2 is amazing, for sure, but MW3 doesn't even work on modern PCs most of the time. I'd like to be able to play that game without having to boot up my Win98 box. :v

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 114 of 156, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Armor Alley, and not browser version please. There is nothing wrong with the browser version of Armor Alley, but browser apps tend to be resource hog these days.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 115 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sabre Ace. While Mig Alley *did* get it right and is in my top 10 air games I'd still like to see a sim-lite Korean Air War game of the relaxed simulation/canned mission variety SA originally promised but fail miserably to deliver on.

Reply 116 of 156, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:
Wolfenstein 3D - […]
Show full quote

Wolfenstein 3D -

Looks like you're getting your wish:

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-us

The link is for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, it looks like more or less a remake of the original Wolfenstein with DX11 style graphics.
The last 10 seconds or so of that trailer are classic.

Reply 117 of 156, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't notice any mention of it on the forums when I did a search, but I was researching a game I used to play called "Zone Raiders" and found zoom-platform.com which apparently re-works the programming to work on modern systems. I'm about to pull the trigger on "Zone Raiders" so I can play it, again. I never did finish it. I hope they redo "Quarantine!"

Reply 118 of 156, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah Quarantine definitely needs a remake. The heart and setting was there, but the implementation was........ not very futureproof nor very fun 🙁

was defniitely a game ahead of its time, design/idea wise though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 119 of 156, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shadowman making game longer with more levels and better engine, make few minutes long solid ending and little easier battle with last boss and port Shadowman Second Coming to PC
Blake Stone
All Commander Keen series and add music to Keen Dreams
Lands of Lore Throne of Chaos
And also first 5 Tomb Raiders on better engine and make better Lara movement

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel