VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see - for this list I'll pick games that showed lots of promise and I wanted/tried very much to like, but that failed at some fundamental level for me.

CART Precision Racing: subtle but flawed physics engine, controller setup, and 640 resolution [small even in it's day]. This was CART in it's heyday and a fixed version would be fabulous. rFactor CART mods are great but I'd love to see this one done again right.

System Shock 1: Have tried to get past the UI many times, even the modded ones with no luck. Two remake paths would work on this one:
1) Just a simple UI remake so it plays like a typical modern 1st-person WASD game - like SS2 basically. None of the mods I've tried have managed to quite get there - to make the interface so seamless it 'disappears' like in Quake say.
2) Remake SS1 to the level of System Shock 2. To be able to have the two side-by-side graphically/control/sound would be awesome.

Myst V/Uru: Remake of the post Myst IV-Revelation games in a classic pre-rendered, node-based, point-n-click style. I gnash my teeth continuously moving around FPS style in the later games.

This last one that has no weaknesses but I just want to see more of it: Outlaws. Because it would have animated cut scenes it would be fun if the entire game were rendered in an animation style - say like XIII.

Reply 61 of 156, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been apart of a project called Street rod 3 for a number of years that aim to remake or rather make sequel of the old Street rods in the same vein as the old ones but, in 3d. Obviously The old street rods are a game i want to see remade. 🤣

Reply 62 of 156, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, I forgot to mention Jane's Fighters Anthology - remade in accelerated 3D engine. Hopefully OpenGL, but Direct3D is also fine, I guess. Point is, as long as the engine is 3D accelerated, then I'll be happy.

I read some years ago about VNFA Wing's attempt to remake the engine in 3D, but never heard anything ever since.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 63 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good pick Kreshna. Looking back it seems quite a number of air combat sims that came out just as 3D was catching on could really benefit from a graphic do-overs. Super Hornet had butt ugly 3D terrain graphics but would be stellar with a just simple graphics overhaul. 3D work other than the aircraft and cockpits were ofter far below average for some reason - probably due to budget and total fixation on the sim elements only.

I recently discovered the Total Air War remake project - TAW was *never* a bad looker - but the total mod accomplishes what you'd like to see done with older early 3D era classics.

Reply 64 of 156, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some games from Nintendo department:

Contra - with same controls and fluid gameplay and unlimited ammo, not those console remakes.

Power Blade (2) - i think the concept in pretty good.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 65 of 156, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

Good pick Kreshna. Looking back it seems quite a number of air combat sims that came out just as 3D was catching on could really benefit from a graphic do-overs. Super Hornet had butt ugly 3D terrain graphics but would be stellar with a just simple graphics overhaul. 3D work other than the aircraft and cockpits were ofter far below average for some reason - probably due to budget and total fixation on the sim elements only.

I recently discovered the Total Air War remake project - TAW was *never* a bad looker - but the total mod accomplishes what you'd like to see done with older early 3D era classics.

Agree. Besides non-accelerated flight sims remade to accelerated, I would like to see new skins and textures for already accelerated flight sims like Total Air War. Well, if they can do it for Quake, why not flight sims?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 67 of 156, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
catchaserguns wrote:

How about all the old gold box D&D series either made into FPS or 3rd person.

The only problem with that is that you're talking about a beloved franchise and it would be so easy to screw it up. I would rather see those games not remade at all than to see them remade badly. Whenever I hear about some new project to modernize a classic game, my first reaction is to cringe and then go check it out because so many times the "new" game is disappointing. Now here's a remake/mod that looks pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T7zuNkCAWg

Baldur's Gate reloaded. That's how you bring a classic game loved by millions into the modern age the right way.

Reply 68 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
tincup wrote:

Agree. Besides non-accelerated flight sims remade to accelerated, I would like to see new skins and textures for already accelerated flight sims like Total Air War. Well, if they can do it for Quake, why not flight sims?

... or Red Baron 3D. Even when it came out it had graphics curiously out of step with even average 3D game of the mid-late 90's. It has a lot going for it and upgraded scenery - even something nice and basic like European Air War - and normal POV controls would be cool.

I probably posted it already but I'd like to see a modern 'Outlaws'. The original is one of my top 3 shooters of all time..

Reply 69 of 156, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

... or Red Baron 3D. Even when it came out it had graphics curiously out of step with even average 3D game of the mid-late 90's. It has a lot going for it and upgraded scenery - even something nice and basic like European Air War - and normal POV controls would be cool.

Unofficially, there were some reports from the Red Baron mod community in using Glidos towards vastly improving the graphics.
http://glidos.net/baron.html?lang=en
I forget the details but there should be some documentation in the Glidos support forum on VOGONS somewhere.

tincup wrote:

I probably posted it already but I'd like to see a modern 'Outlaws'. The original is one of my top 3 shooters of all time..

The "Red Dead" series maybe should help ya out on XBox/PSx 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 71 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
Unofficially, there were some reports from the Red Baron mod community in using Glidos towards vastly improving the graphics. ht […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote:

Unofficially, there were some reports from the Red Baron mod community in using Glidos towards vastly improving the graphics.
http://glidos.net/baron.html?lang=en
I forget the details but there should be some documentation in the Glidos support forum on VOGONS somewhere.

Interesting. I have a fair collection of fan-based mods, RPs, add-ons, and even Full Canvas Jacket, but didn't know about the Glidos work - will have to check that out...

EDIT: oops, I *do* use the OpenGlide wrapper with RB3 - that's related to Glidos something I just learned from the link..

Reply 72 of 156, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

Interesting. I have a fair collection of fan-based mods, RPs, add-ons, and even Full Canvas Jacket, but didn't know about the Glidos work - will have to check that out...

EDIT: oops, I *do* use the OpenGlide wrapper with RB3 - that's related to Glidos something I just learned from the link..

Yeah, sorry - I can't remember which version of Red Baron used Glide. But I believe the discussion lied in: If you can do high-res texture replacements in Tomb Raider using Glidos, perhaps this would extend to other Glide games Glidos supports, or whether it's Tomb Raider-specific. I forget the answer.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 73 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OpenGlide v007b4 is the best one I 'm aware of. 1024 Resolution and a generally overall nice look. But the problem lies in an oddly clunky and awkward scenic model I could never really feel comfortable with.

Reply 74 of 156, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With its intricate nonlinear structure, I think a remake of Zak McKraken could go over excellently: just replace the boring, obnoxious mazes with proper overhead dungeons, and maybe turn-based battles. Imagine, upgrading from humble Stale French Bread to Hardened Pumpernickel to Fossilized Pan de Muerto!

And it would be neat to see Indiana Jones with proper fighting game mechanics rather than the flimsy excuse that was actually used. Apparently the Fountain of Youth project is working on that. (As if that will ever be finished.)

sliderider wrote:

Hmmm...I was just thinking, updated versions of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace in true 3D might be cool.

They did that already with Dragon's Lair. It didn't go over very well, so presumably Space Ace will not be forthcoming.

Reply 75 of 156, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Hmmm...I was just thinking, updated versions of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace in true 3D might be cool.

They did that already with Dragon's Lair. It didn't go over very well, so presumably Space Ace will not be forthcoming.

Yeah but look at how old Dragon's Lair 3D is. They can do a lot better now.

Reply 76 of 156, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Yeah but look at how old Dragon's Lair 3D is. They can do a lot better now.

How would you make it "better" ? Its graphics were not what drew criticism.

Reply 77 of 156, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

How would you make it "better" ? Its graphics were not what drew criticism.[/quote]

The topic of the thread is "What old game would you like to see remade". Remaking an old game isn't limited exclusively to reskinning the graphics. If gameplay or the control scheme in the original were issues, those can be fixed, too.

Reply 78 of 156, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

How would you make it "better" ? Its graphics were not what drew criticism.

The topic of the thread is "What old game would you like to see remade". Remaking an old game isn't limited exclusively to reskinning the graphics. If gameplay or the control scheme in the original were issues, those can be fixed, too.

Reply 79 of 156, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

What old game would you like to see remade?

Subspace. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one here who's even played it.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.