Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Poll: How do you like the new design?

• 14 votes (50%) 14 votes (50%)
  • 1 vote (4%) 1 vote (4%)
  • 5 votes (18%) 5 votes (18%)
  • 8 votes (29%) 8 votes (29%)

Welcome to the all-new vogons site! There are still a few things that need to be ironed out but for the most part everything is working. Please post comments, suggestions, and bug reports here.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm allready missing the navigation on top the screen.
e.g
the guide > Dos

(those were clickable links) Any change that they return ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Another one

HTML stuff... disabled by default or ?
the thread Read this before posting is a bit ugly because of this.

Reply 6 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Html is quite irritating
no avatars at all work (not even when reselected in profile)
last post is broken for global overview
startpage only displays your post at 6 august 2002.

Reply 7 of 71, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't like the low contrast text.

I usually right-click on areas, such as DOS of GliDOS and have them open in a new window. I have to click on the little picture to that now.

I can't tell if there are new posts in an area except by the date.

I am in a whinging mood today.

😁

Reply 8 of 71, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with Carrera, the contrast is terrible: text is hard to read and it's also hard to see the difference between simple text and links. The buttons do not have a good contrast either.

It also looks very weird in Internet Explorer, the fonts do not look right and there are some JavaScript errors. Snover, I know your personal opinions on IE, but I do not think that a site that's hard to read and do not work very well under the most popular browser will look interesting to new members.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be possible to add a function so you can select themes?
I liked the old one better..

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 12 of 71, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, but I must say it. It is simply ugly and very hard to read. As far as legibility is concerned, very few forums on the net are worse than this one. When I saw that hazy violet colour first time I thought my monitor was broken.

Last edited by Jiri on 2003-11-28, 00:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Html is quite irritating

How so?

Qbix wrote:

no avatars at all work (not even when reselected in profile)

You have to select it, then submit your profile for the settings to take effect.

Qbix wrote:

last post is broken for global overview
startpage only displays your post at 6 august 2002.

Nobody has responded to any threads since the stuff was imported. As people respond, those will change. (As it has here.)

Carrera wrote:

I can't tell if there are new posts in an area except by the date.

That's not true, there just haven't been any new posts. 😀 When there's a new post it will change to a bright colour.

MajorGrubert wrote:

I agree with Carrera, the contrast is terrible: text is hard to read and it's also hard to see the difference between simple text and links. The buttons do not have a good contrast either.

All things that I can fix. I know the difference between links and text is poor, I just couldn't think of a better colour at the time... Thank god for CSS. 😄

MajorGrubert wrote:

It also looks very weird in Internet Explorer, the fonts do not look right and there are some JavaScript errors.

Funny, I just checked it in IE6SP1 and it all looks pretty much identical. Oh, and that JavaScript error was a real error. I fucked up. It's fixed now. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 71, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my opinion an ideal forum would be something like this one http://forum.avantbrowser.com/ (layout, colours), maybe with a little more readable font, for example from this forum http://www.avast.com/forum/?lang=ENG or could be the same as it is now (it is similar) but bigger on the homepage and in the quotes.

Reply 15 of 71, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My solution would be:
-very dark fonts
-bright background
-no red (and simmilar) at all

and if it would be possible to change type of fonts in the buttons cause these type is unclear (especially the buttons in the top right corner of each post)

Reply 16 of 71, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the new design, but I have a couple of suggestions.

I agree that the colours are not contrasted enough. Brighter text box and darker text font would be much easier on the eye.

The fixed background is a nice idea (which I used myself countless times) but it makes the page scroll rather choppily on modest systems and it tends to give me serious headaches after a while.

The new navigation icons are sexy, but the Edit / Quote / Delete buttons are so small they're barely understandable.

The quick reply box is a good idea, but where's the standard reply button? 😜

Oh, and I already miss the quick nav textbar at the top of each thread, which allowed us to easily navigate inside a given forum without having to constantly go back to the main page.

Keep at it Colin!

Reply 17 of 71, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:
My solution would be: -very dark fonts -bright background -no red (and simmilar) at all And if it would be possible to change ty […]
Show full quote

My solution would be:
-very dark fonts
-bright background
-no red (and simmilar) at all
And if it would be possible to change type of fonts in the buttons cause these type is unclear (especially the buttons in the top right corner of each post)

I completely agree. And here are some more suggestions. Adjoining boxes could be distinguished by toning of the background and no background picture should be used, it is confusing. Text should not be too close to the upper and lower part of the boxes. The topic looks in my opinion better if it is inside the box (see Avant or Avast forums). And there should be more space between titles and text on the homepage. Also some distance between the forums (Glidos, Dosbox etc.) looks nice (Avant again).
And something on the lighter side. Some guide could be put in the faq for those visitors who unfortunately did not read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or read it in the other languages and may not fully understand the terms like Hearth of Gold, Magrathea or even Vogons. 😁

Reply 18 of 71, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was right and wrong about the last posted thingee. I was lookin gat the "date registered" instead. I simply overlooked the last posted date, which proves my point about hard to read text.

Reply 19 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
 In response to innumerable help requests with insufficient information, I've created this list of guidelines to ease the process of tracking down and resolving problems.
<br />
<br />
The following are things that should be in your help request:<ol type="1">
<li>Motherboard</li>
<li>Processor type and speed</li>
<li>Amount and type of RAM</li>
<li>Video board w/ RAM amount and type</li>
<li>Sound board</li>
<li>Operating system</li>
<li>Game name (and version, if applicable)</li>
<li>Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does)</li>
<li>Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.)</li>
<li>Sound mode used</li>
<li>Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)</li>
<li>Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+)</li>
<li>Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and <b>READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T</b>!)</li>
</ol>

This looks like how I see it. No made up text. just hmtl code