Common searches

Welcome to the Desert of the Real World

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 71, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sover wrote:
Funny, I just checked it in IE6SP1 and it all looks pretty much identical. Oh, and that JavaScript error was a real error. I fucked up. It's fixed now.

Well, IE 5.5 (the version I use at work) gets confused about the font sizes, unless I change the default text size (select View, Text Size) to "Smaller". I'll test with IE 6 at home tonight and see what happens.

Also, there is still a JavaScript error on IE 5.5, as I move the cursor over the forum names I get several errors like:

Error: could not get the cursor property. Invalid argument.

Nothing really serious, just an annoyance.

Finally, is there a way to post a reply including a quote of the desired post automatically or not? Am I missing something obvious?

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know about the announcements, vBulletin overrode allowing HTML in announcements but phpBB does not. The regular reply button is, unbelievably enough, the "re:" button after every post. The quote button is hard to see, so clearly I'll need to change it, but it is at the top-right of every post on the light blue bar that has the title and date of posting on it. I had a debate with myself about the navigation at the top of the page, because I used it extensively myself, and ended up making a button at the right of the titlebar that goes up one level. (From posting to post, from post to forum, from forum to index.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 22 of 71, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, found the Re: button at last 😅

The highlighted topic icons are non-sensical to me. They'd better be used to warn of new posts in a thread. I need no highlight icon to know if a thread is 'hot' or not, a simple look at the reply number is usually self-explaining. The current way is confusing at best and serves no purpose (apart from confusing me, of course).

🤐

Reply 23 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm? If you're referring to the exclamation point as a new post icon, I changed that the minute I looked at the imported forum listings. 😀 You might have the images cached. Do a ctrl+reload. Or, alternately, I'm not understanding what you're saying.

I hope more people are starting to enjoy this new layout more as I work on fixing the niggles of it. (I did ask for feedback before and everyone said it was great, so don't say it's my fault 😉)

Oh and I meant to say before to Grubert...well, that one I can't fix. That is IE being retarded. cursor has been a valid style element since...CSS1. That's a long time. 😀 You can also disable those Javascript error pop-ups, actually I think they're disabled by default now because Microsoft knows how shitty their JScript engine is 😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you add the old theme so people can choose it I'd be very happy.
As for this new one, I don't like it at all 😒

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 27 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's get this straight. NO. I CANNOT USE THE OLD LAYOUT. THIS IS PHPBB. THAT WAS VBULLETIN. OK?! 😒

Oh, and to everyone that hates this layout, thanks for telling me why so that I might improve it!!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 71, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, why:
It is annoying and I only come here for reading posts, not for works of art.
Bring a simple style, no eye candies, no wierd colors. Make it easy to read, nothing more.

Reply 29 of 71, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that mostly it just needs to be easier to read. The buttons need to more readable. Also the preformated text (ie Quotes and Code) is very tiny on my machine with Mozilla, my browser of choice. The main text size is OK, but it would be nice if it was darker and/or with a lighter background.

Reply 30 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't like the colors and I find some of the icons hard to read/understand.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 31 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ChaosFish, this design IS extremely simple. Go look at the source if you don't believe me. It's MUCH less complex than subSilver. (And it's fucking XHTML compliant.)
collector, what resolution are you running at? At 1280x960 I have no problem reading 10px Verdana.
Some of the icons..example please. I can't help your personal preference with the colours. It's certainly easy enough for someone to get the vogons.css file and create a new colour scheme and send it to me. Funny you don't like the colours since they match perfectly with your avatar and banner.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but I am. I spent a lot of time on this and asked people beforehand what they thought and only like 5 people responded, and all of those responses were positive, and now that I've debuted it you're all like "boo it sucks" after I spent a shitload of time and energy on it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 32 of 71, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

ChaosFish, this design IS extremely simple. Go look at the source if you don't believe me. It's MUCH less complex than subSilver. (And it's fucking XHTML compliant.)

Nevermind the source, I talk about what I see in my naked eyes. I see a very creative mind behind the design, but it's not suitable for discussions. Not to mention vBulletin is a lot better than phpBB IMO.
Maybe you should have made a poll before making such a change.

Reply 33 of 71, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For browsing Threads in a more clear way I would suggest the following:
1 - removing [Popular] Icon
2 - placing "Replies" collumn between "Threads" and "Author"
3 - "*" Icon for Important
4 - "!" Icon for Usefull

If you think [Popular] should be still used:
"o" for [Popular] (I think it is o 😉 )
"nothing/empty" (if possible) or "." for not popular posts

Reply 34 of 71, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do like the design myself, the only thing I really miss is the forum lists at the top when you are reading a thread; to start with I found it a real struggle to navigate the site.
I can see that you've worked hard on this Snover, it just takes time for people to get used to change!:pppt:
I think you're a bloody clever bloke 😀

Reply 35 of 71, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Snover, I was not saying that your new design sucks, I did not mean to offend, if I did. I think that the new design will be fine with just a few small tweaks, mostly just to make it a little easier to read, such as by increasing the contrast between the text and background.

I am running at 1600x1200 on a 19" moniter and as I said the main text large enough, but the code and quotes are smaller than what is easy to read.

Looking at the buttons again, I see one thing that makes it a little hard to understand is that the "e" looks more like an "o", even at lower resolutions so that "re:" looks like "ro:" and "new" looks like "now". Just making that "e" a little more distinct from an "o" would take care of that.

Reply 36 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Some of the icons..example please. I can't help your personal preference with the colours. It's certainly easy enough for someone to get the vogons.css file and create a new colour scheme and send it to me. Funny you don't like the colours since they match perfectly with your avatar and banner.

The small ones on top of your posts (quote/edit etc), I need to hover them to read the ALT text you put there to know what they are (although it's probably something you'll remember if you use them a lot).
And about the colors, it's your site so you decide, I just stated that I don't like them at all.

Snover wrote:

Sorry if I sound irritated, but I am. I spent a lot of time on this and asked people beforehand what they thought and only like 5 people responded, and all of those responses were positive, and now that I've debuted it you're all like "boo it sucks" after I spent a shitload of time and energy on it.

I can understand that, I've seen it happen a lot of times. Last one was so bad that the site itself died 😒

Oh, and those forum "menus" on top of each thread is something I miss, the 'Forum -> Subforum -> Thread' that where links.

Reply 37 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Snover wrote:

I just changed the font colour ever-so-slightly for non-link non-editible text. Better? Worse?

Better.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 38 of 71, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seem to be in a minority, but I stand by my ... damn, Qbix, your user icon is distracting me. Anyhow, I stand by my original opinion as voiced in the thread that was being used for garnering opinions, which is that basically I like the site, colours included. I find it far more legible than the high-contrast colourschemes that most forums go for. If you can change the weight as well as colour for links within posts, though, it might be easiest just to make them bold rather than try and find a suitable colour for them?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem