VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm thinking of games that would be out around the same time as the early consoles that also did 3D, like the 3do, psx, or saturn. So the time period would be approximately 93-96. I would like to compare some of these early console 3D games to early PC 3D games.

As far as I can tell, the PC did not have that many stand out early 3D titles. In fact, many of them seem to be ports from consoles such as the Saturn (Tomb Raider), PSX, and n64. Many of the early 3D titles exclusive to the PC were not actually 3D, but 2.5D (Doom as an obvious example).

So my question is, what are some below-average to great PC titles that were actually true 3D and not something like Doom?

Reply 1 of 72, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two early 3D games released in 1995 for PC (DOS) were Descent and Fade to Black.

F2B used Gouraud shading for surface rendering, but Descent was fully textured.

Reply 4 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

I bought frontier elite 2 for my a500 on the 29th
october 1993 (yes i have the box and receipt here 😉
This was also available for DOS and is true 3d
but no textures. The next version elite 3 was PC
only and is superior graphically yet even buggier
than elite 2. i believe they are both now shareware.
the elite trilogy were landmarks in computer
graphics and gaming. i have the original elite
on my shelf as well which i played on my c64...

cya

Reply 6 of 72, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes Descent is a good example I guess. I forgot it had polygonal enemies.

Indy Car II looks nice on the Rendition.

Frontier Elite looks interesting as well.

I think Battle Arena Toshinden was a port from the PSX.

edit: Yeah X-wing and Tie Fighter. I guess some of these may be obvious but it's hard to think of them all.

Reply 7 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wing Commander 3 (1994) has full 3d space combat IN SUPER FREAKING VGA 640 BY FREAKING 480

Jane's US Navy Fighters (1994) was textured 3d all over the place... but in 1024x768

also don't forget Future Shock (1995), sprite view weapons but model enemies to blast in a 3d world. and VEHICLES!

Also, MAGIC FREAKING CARPET (1994). This was later ported TO the PSX and Saturn, but its best platform is PC because of all the extra graphical bells and whistles that the PSX and Saturn are too crappy to do. Ok so it uses sprites, but Bullfrog never had a mesh done until Theme Park World (1999) so that was their style since Populous

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

some more 3d games come to mind, for example
i played star glider 2 on an amiga but wikipedia says
it was available DOS as well. you may wish to investigate
Virus (AKA Zarch) which also apparently had a PC
port. in my own case i had a 386sx whenever they were
powerful but never really played games on it. although
i do remember dabbling with one variant of microsoft flight
sim, version 3 maybe on win3?

cya

edit:spelling

Reply 12 of 72, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, so many classics in here. Fade to Black was very impressive back then, and hey it's also where I got my nickname from, f2b + my initials (np).
There's also Chasm the rift which is quake-like, Wing Commander 4 and Privateer 2, Syndicate Wars, Frontier First Encounters (Elite 3), Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, The Need for Speed, LBA 2 (97'), MDK (also 97'). That's all I can remember right now.

Reply 13 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

back then 3d games were just a bit too slow
on the hardware of the time. my favourite wire frame
game then was called mercenary which i played on
a PLUS/4 computer. that became solid 3d on
the atari and amiga later on though, no sure about
DOS. it was the best there was back then 😀

early solid games included one called DRILLER
which i got on the C64. i never really played it
because it was tedious. this appears to have
a PC port although i have never seen it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driller_%28video_game%29
you may find it interesting.

for me, 3d games were fun even if it wasn't really 3d as
found in 'ACE 2' which in was just a virtual horizon
with a bunch of blobs with the occasional distorted
'missile warning' noise coming from the speaker 🤣

bye

edit:fix bbcode

Last edited by sklawz on 2011-09-05, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 72, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Heh, so many classics in here. Fade to Black was very impressive back then, and hey it's also where I got my nickname from, f2b + my initials (np).
There's also Chasm the rift which is quake-like, Wing Commander 4 and Privateer 2, Syndicate Wars, Frontier First Encounters (Elite 3), Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, The Need for Speed, LBA 2 (97'), MDK (also 97'). That's all I can remember right now.

I was gonna say Chasm but thought it came out pretty late. Just looked, 1997.

Some more obvious ones where
1997 Carmageddon - DOS (sprite based pedestrians)
1996 Rocket Jockey - Winodows
1996 Monster Truck Madness - Windows
1995 Whiplash - DOS

cannot remember if Scorcher and Quarintine are 3D.

Reply 15 of 72, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strike Commander
Star Crusader
Hi Octane
Wing Commander Armada
EF2000
Flight Unlimited

leileilol wrote:

He's looking for full 3d textured games around the 93-95 era, not 2d vector sexiness

Oh how picky of him. 😉 Requiring texture mapping really slims the list. Well, it reduces it from a bazillion, that is.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-09-05, 04:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 16 of 72, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Comanche: Maximum Overkill (1992)

This game was very impressive at the time, using a proprietary "Voxel" based engine. Was extremely good at rendering complex terrains.

I recommend checking it out.

Reply 17 of 72, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow Comanche: Maximum Overkill looks very impressive, especially for 1992.

Yeah it seems there are quite a bit of games that fit this criteria. Since I mostly played on consoles before 3D became big and have never really liked the genre that was big on 3D at the time (Flight Sims) it looks like I missed a lot.

Reply 18 of 72, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xenphor wrote:

Wow Comanche: Maximum Overkill looks very impressive, especially for 1992.

Yeah it seems there are quite a bit of games that fit this criteria. Since I mostly played on consoles before 3D became big and have never really liked the genre that was big on 3D at the time (Flight Sims) it looks like I missed a lot.

Gameplay is great too, its a copter sim on the arcadish side, one of the game i played the most on my old 486.
To its credit, that game also ran full speed on very modest hardware. Apparently novalogic fully wrote their engine in assembly.
Of course there is also comanche 2,3 and 4, great too.

Reply 19 of 72, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm assuming Xenphor is asking about First Person Shooters (FPS), looking at the title. If so,...

Two FPS games preceded Quake as true 3D FPS games :

1. Terminator : Future Shock, and,

6115506329_ce8be0b03d.jpg

2. Terminator : Skynet.

6115506419_2461c87c32_z.jpg

Both are from Bethesda Softworks using their proprietary XnGine graphics engine.

Unfortunately, due to Quake's overwhelming marketing and it's reputation as the next major ptoject by the creators of DOOM, the above 2 games were overshadowed.

Many magazines those days during the review of Quake, mentioned Quake as the "first true 3D FPS game" and most were "ooh , "aah"-ing about Quake's ability to look up, down and under and so on.

In fact, Quake's original mouselook required constant button press, whereas in the Terminator games, mouselook works just like how modern FPS game utilize it now.

Other than that, as all have mentioned, for PC, most old Flight sims were already in 3D - the reason Flight sims required "high-end" PCs those days to play them respectably. (Because of graphics design those days which uses the CPU's power to render all the 3D environment.)

(This is to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong and others may correct me.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers