Common searches

Posting from 1996 system!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 56, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

Right now, I'm actually posting this from a circa 2000 Compaq Deskpro I have plugged into my TV serving as an internet terminal, youtube player and stereo system.

Buh.. what CPU do you have in that thing? It can handle YouTube videos?

Reply 41 of 56, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

733mhz Pentium III. Was a 667mhz Pentium III at the time I posted that though.

EDIT: As of twenty minutes ago, a 1.2ghz Tualatin Pentium III-S. While somewhat ghetto, I found a page explaining how I can snip a few pins then run one wire to make the Tualatin CPU work without getting an interposer for my socket.

Well, in his page, he shows a CPU with pins insulated and the socket slightly modified. I figure the CPU is more expendable than the computer itself so I took the route of actually snipping pins on the chip.
http://pipux.net/index.php?id=15

Reply 42 of 56, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

Those old X window managers had such a business feel to them.

Yep, for serious work. Not like the "Bozo the Clown" default XP theme.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 43 of 56, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it was more of a Fisher Price feel than anything else.

Serving to make the year 2001 look even worse, because being when we got that toyish XP default design wasn't enough, Palm pulled an Ol' Yeller on Be. Sure there was also OSX that year but maybe that OS's design is just a little too metrosexual for my tastes.

On the positive for XP, I love how easy it is to fix the theme system and the number of free visual styles you can apply. It's pretty easy to tailor XP to one's aesthetic tastes.

Reply 46 of 56, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite look from back then would be the Watercolor appearance used on some of the beta versions of Windows XP. I found a pretty good implementation of it for systems with a patched uxtheme.dll simply called Watercolor Lite.

Reply 47 of 56, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Is it bad that I prefer the classic old 2001 Aqua over the brushed metally later Os X?

On top of that, Os9 look > OsX

Beginning with Leopard, OS X just looks "sad" and "depressed" because of its color scheme IMO. But then again Aqua is way too candy-colored for my tastes. But hey, the general populace likes bright pastel colors right.

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 48 of 56, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

My favorite look from back then would be the Watercolor appearance used on some of the beta versions of Windows XP. I found a pretty good implementation of it for systems with a patched uxtheme.dll simply called Watercolor Lite.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I found this here:

z87Xs.gif

That's pretty wild. Those little fading squares just scream the 21st century!

Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Beginning with Leopard, OS X just looks "sad" and "depressed" because of its color scheme IMO. But then again Aqua is way too candy-colored for my tastes. But hey, the general populace likes bright pastel colors right.

With Leopard, OSX really lost its intrinsic pain-relieving properties:

Qw8FC.jpguYgau.jpg

Reply 49 of 56, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

Yep I'm using that one too on this system, for like 8 years already. I really wonder why they went with the teletubby interface on release while the beta versions looked so much better.

Reply 50 of 56, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, looking back, in the late 90s and early 2000s, Luna did have a modern feel. With the silver color scheme, it actually didn't look too bad. I think a combination of somebody a manager was sleeping with liked it and they were going for something a new computer user would find inviting. While I never really liked Luna, I think I can somewhat understand why they would have went with such an appearance.

Reply 54 of 56, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stull wrote:
2001 was bad all around. I think OSX (10.0) looked a little toy-ish back then, too: […]
Show full quote

2001 was bad all around. I think OSX (10.0) looked a little toy-ish back then, too:

uN3He.jpg

Maybe I'm just biased because I think their machines looked like toys, too. 😉

What are you running that in? 800x600?

Reply 56 of 56, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
The oldest computer I ever made a forum post from was my Quadra 700. […]
Show full quote

The oldest computer I ever made a forum post from was my Quadra 700.

Yessir.jpg

🤣 brings back memories of grade school. Eventually our school caved in and switched over to Windoze.

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ