VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just put back together a salvaged socket 462 duron 700mhz system. I powered it up with the barebone to test if it works; It posts then theres this creeppy feminine robot voice coming out of the pc speaker saying : "The floppy drive cable might be disconnected" .

I almost freaked out, it took me by surprise. I troubleshooted/built/repaired several dozens of systems and its the first time i witness such a thing. Is this actually comon? why have i never heard of it before?
Actually its kind of cool 😁

Reply 1 of 35, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my friends used to have a Socket AM2 or 939 board with the same exact feature. It's not very common as far as I know, and I think you can only find it on AMD-based boards. 🤣

Reply 2 of 35, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, the first time it happened to me I got freaked out too, but yeah, there was a period of time when this was added to some motherboards. I found it more annoying than anything as i could never tell what the hell the lady was saying.

Yes, the couple of motherboards i found this feature on were both 939.

EDIT: Now that i think about it they were not 939, they were both Socket A's as i remember they were Athlon XP's.

Reply 5 of 35, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is creepy when a system suddenly "talks" to you.

And also it's kind of creepy when the cd-rom tray opens by itself, especially while in dos command prompt or while defragging in dos and then it closes by itself. And then it opens again...stays open for a while, then suddenly closes. ... Possible wetting moments...

Other than that, I remember reading about BIOS messages that "talks" instead of beeping, in certain motherboard manual. I think that's a cool idea, and I wish they continued with that and allowing us to upload our own .wav files for certain events like for eg.

1. When a Video Card not inserted properly, "Insert the *$&$ing Graphics Card...Properly, you *$&*#$!"

2. When rams are bad,
"Your Memories Are F*#&ed Up! Get a life!"

or

3. If the CPU is overclocked with a crazy multiplier,
"What are you, nuts? I can't run any faster, you *@#&*$!"

Uh...then again, you might not want to record such comments. It's doubtful you won't break it into pieces, when you're frustrated mad figuring out what went wrong where..

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 35, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be even MORE worried if it said, "You're quite good at turning me on." >_>;;;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 35, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or if it says this :

"Look at you, sucker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?".

6180675598_be02d1227b_o.gif

As I said - it's all too creepy!

😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol! I had that happen to me as well one time 😜
Can't remember what it said but I remember there was an option in the BIOS to make it beep again 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 35, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, my old PC at work used to have an extremely chatty mainboard, it talked its way through every boot. Something like "all systems initialized" in a female voice very similar to the ST:TNG Enterprise computer.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 35, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

Heh, my old PC at work used to have an extremely chatty mainboard, it talked its way through every boot. Something like "all systems initialized" in a female voice very similar to the ST:TNG Enterprise computer.

Yes, that was indeed Majel Barret (Nurse Chapel and Mrs. Gene Roddenberry).

Maybe I should ammend my comments to read that I would be more concerned if my box started saying:

"42"

all the time 😜

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 14 of 35, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My ASUS P4S333 has this feature after updating the BIOS. Yes, we can change the WAV files by ourselves, using ASUS BIOS Voice Reporter application.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/win … editor_M316.zip

Reply 15 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MatthewBrian wrote:

My ASUS P4S333 has this feature after updating the BIOS. Yes, we can change the WAV files by ourselves, using ASUS BIOS Voice Reporter application.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/win … editor_M316.zip

ROFL ,now i need one of them mobo spitting insults all around!