VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 35, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember being dazzled the same way when my Asus P4T533-C started talking on its very first power-up. It was repeating "No CPU installed" 😳 because I forgot to lock the CPU securing latch...

It was a very expensive high-end RDRAM mainboard, the most stable one I have had so far.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 21 of 35, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, now that's a story 😎 Wish my mobo was this cool. Anyways, I can see how that would freak someone out, it just happened to me while going through a lengthy piece of text just minutes past midnight, and suddenly, for no apparent reason at all, some satanic animated smiley banner littering the middle of the page screamed "are you there?"

Reply 22 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i want a motherboard with Wesley Willis's voice throwing insults at you at whenever it feels like it.

I would call this the RISC Architecture or:" Random Insult Spam computing "

Reply 23 of 35, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is a floppy hard to install? I've never had a problem. Physically or otherwise.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 25 of 35, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get it as well. I mean, c'mon, you just plug one end of the cable into the drive, the other into your mobo, plug the power connector onto the drive, and then boot into the BIOS and set the floppy drive properties. 🤣

Reply 26 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think its meant to be condescending towards younger people who are just starting to build their own PC's - its a comment on how simple things are inside a modern PC. Everythings integrated on the motherboard, you just stick in a CPU, RAM and video card and the hard drives just plug straight in with clearly keyed cables, no jumpers or anything to worry about.
The floppy is the oldest legacy hardware component in a modern machine (if it even includes one at all) so might be considered by some the 'most difficult' purely because you can get the cable on backwards if you aren't paying attention.

Either that or its just a troll.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 28 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first i thought it had something to do with the fact you usually install software, not HARDware. But then you certainly can install hardware too.
And anyway, installing case connector on motherboard headers is harder imo as you often need magnifying glass/manual or even a multimeter.

Reply 29 of 35, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:

How is a floppy hard to install? I've never had a problem. Physically or otherwise.

I did not get it either.

It was a joke aimed at the origination of the thread.

Forget to even plug up a floppy, and your system comes to a grinding halt, even if you didn't plan on using it ATM.

Reply 30 of 35, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I think its meant to be condescending towards younger people who are just starting to build their own PC's - its a comment on how simple things are inside a modern PC. Everythings integrated on the motherboard, you just stick in a CPU, RAM and video card and the hard drives just plug straight in with clearly keyed cables, no jumpers or anything to worry about.
The floppy is the oldest legacy hardware component in a modern machine (if it even includes one at all) so might be considered by some the 'most difficult' purely because you can get the cable on backwards if you aren't paying attention.

Either that or its just a troll.

I'm glad I started out by experimenting with old, discarded hardware then. 🤣

Reply 31 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

Forget to even plug up a floppy, and your system comes to a grinding halt, even if you didn't plan on using it ATM.

Fortunately it was not as bad as you make it sounds, a polite reminder to verify the floppy cable from the lady inside the motherboard. Accompanied by a modest F1 to resume prompt 😉

Reply 32 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That's how I started... back in the 90's raiding the bins out the back of computer shops 😀

They'd throw out perfectly working PC's that were only about 3-4 years old.

Can't really do that any more now since the PC's are either sent to recyclers to give to underprivileged people without computers, or just melted down for the copper/gold.

Reply 33 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:
That's how I started... back in the 90's raiding the bins out the back of computer shops :) […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That's how I started... back in the 90's raiding the bins out the back of computer shops 😀

They'd throw out perfectly working PC's that were only about 3-4 years old.

Can't really do that any more now since the PC's are either sent to recyclers to give to underprivileged people without computers, or just melted down for the copper/gold.

If i really want to have a sleepless night, i just go to ebay.com and type Gold recovery, then watch all the perfectly good hardware that has been hammer smashed to fit in a box then sold as scrap for gold.