Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK. I have tested several games now. Everything seems to be working just fine.

I'm gonna change the address to 240h, to see if it works this way too.

EDIT:

Nope the CMSDRV driver for game blaster does not like the 240h address

Reply 182 of 468, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
OK. I have tested several games now. Everything seems to be working just fine. […]
Show full quote

OK. I have tested several games now. Everything seems to be working just fine.

I'm gonna change the address to 240h, to see if it works this way too.

EDIT:

Nope the CMSDRV driver for game blaster does not like the 240h address

I just want to make sure I understand what you are doing here. You are trying to use a Sound Blaster 2.0 with a CMS upgrade. Your 2.0s have no rev. 3 or 4 or any number silkscreened on the board. The programmed GALs from Lattice or SGS are not working, causing missing sound functionality, crashes, lockups and even failures to boot when the upgraded card is installed. Now you are trying GALs from National Semiconductor, and so far everything is working great. Is that correct? If it is, congratulations! You have put the finishing touches on a problem that has been puzzled at in the community for the past five years.

To answer your CMSDRV.COM issue, first I assume you are using the Sound Blaster's CMSDRV.COM, not the Game Blaster's CMSDRV.COM. The Sound Blaster's driver does not autodetect the location of the Game Blaster chips. In order to change the I/O address of the driver, I believe you have to run INST-DRV.EXE on the Sound Blaster 1.0 Installation Disk 1.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 183 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes my card is a normal CT1350B!! No REV markings! The National Semiconductor GAL16V8A-15LNC works great, for both CMS and Adlib/Soundblaster.

About the CMSDRV, that's great information because i wanted to use the Game Blaster on the 240h range, because my OPL3 card a Sound Galaxy Pro 16 seems to be hardware fixed on 220h. It has a software feature that will change it to 240h but i found it does not work properly!

EDIT: For the record, i have not personally tried a Lattice GAL, but since it doesn't work with anyone else i assume the same would happen to me.

My only explanation is that the fuse meanings are different for each manufacturer. And let's face it, Chuck does not own a proper system to test things out!

Reply 185 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

To answer your CMSDRV.COM issue, first I assume you are using the Sound Blaster's CMSDRV.COM, not the Game Blaster's CMSDRV.COM. The Sound Blaster's driver does not autodetect the location of the Game Blaster chips. In order to change the I/O address of the driver, I believe you have to run INST-DRV.EXE on the Sound Blaster 1.0 Installation Disk 1.

Will the INST-DRV.EXE from the Sound Blaster 1.5 do? Plus what do i have to do? I ran it but it does nothing. I think i may have to run it with parameters to set it properly.

Reply 186 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wanting to say: WELL DONE 😁

And Great Hierophant, your blog is absolutely fantastic!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 190 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice video! I received my floppy emulators. I believe they are the same model as yours, just in black. They work very well, will definitely do a video review on them...

My YouTube channel

Reply 191 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, i'm planning on doing a web show but there's still a lot of things to sort out.

Still i'm in a pain. I want to use a Sound Galaxy Pro 16 as my Sound Blaster Pro, Disney Sound Source, Covox Speech Thing standards and the SB 2.0 as my CMS card. Unfortuntely the cards don't go well together. Plus, the CMS part does not work in 240h address even though i managed to make the cmsdrv.com recognize and install the driver.

I'm running out of ideas.

Reply 192 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I ran into EXACTLY the same issue. Tried it next to an AWE64 GOLD and this also was glitchy. The card is best on it's own. To make matters worse I believe you can't get ever CMS to work. For example Prince of Persia.

If you remove the OPL2 chip it works (This infor can be found on Great Hierophant's blog) it works.

For a while I had three machines to capture a wide range of Sound Cards, but now I just want to have one pimped out MS-DOS Time-Machine. It will have the AWE64 GOLD and MPU401AT. I do consider the SB Pro 2 as an alternative but to be honest almost all the games from my "nostalgic period" support MIDI, so the lack of OPL3 isn't a problem. And the AWE simply has a very clean signal and is works better on faster Time-Machines.

My YouTube channel

Reply 194 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

If i remove the OPL2 chip? What will work? You mean the CMS will work on 240h or you mean the SB 2.0 will work together with other cards?

Haven't tried on 240, but Prince of Persia will not run on a Sound Blaster with CMS chips unless you pull out the OPL2 chip.

My YouTube channel

Reply 195 of 468, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure your software supports Game Blaster I/O port selectio and make sure its set appropriately. Many titles do not and will only work if you set the I/O port to the default 220.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 196 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah i went to check your blog, and i could confirm that. Even though i was able to install the driver at 240h, games will look for CMS only on 220h.

The problem is i cannot get the CT1350 to coexist with other cards.

Reply 197 of 468, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

The problem is i cannot get the CT1350 to coexist with other cards.

The only likely reason for this is a resource conflict. You guys are obviously sophisticated enough to make sure there are no shared IRQs or DMAs, but two other potential gotchas exist. First is the gameport, which resides at I/O 201H on any card. It should be disabled on the SB 2.0 if you have another sound card in the system that has a gameport. That is one resource conflict, but usually not that bad. The second issue is that the Adlib chips reside at I/O 388H-389H, and all sound cards claiming Adlib compatibility use those addresses. That means that if your 2.0 and AWE64 are battling for those addresses, stuff may not want to work. Try pulling the Adlib chips out if you only want the 2.0 as a CMS card (if they are socketed).

Reply 198 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I almost got my Sound Galaxy Pro 16 working with the SB 2.0. with these settings:

Sound Galaxy:
A240
IRQ 5
DMA1

Sound Blaster 2.0:
A220 -- must for CMS
IRQ 7
DMA jumper on open, this card can't be set only to DMA 1 on or off
DMA sharing enabled, i tried disabled and it is the same
FM and Voice jumpers on so there is no FM or digital sound output

Games like Wolfenstein 3d work great and i could have CMS via SB 2.0 and OPL3 via Sound Galaxy 16.

Problem is games with digitized speech have problems. Wing Commander II is a good example. It seems that the Speech only enables if 220h address is selected. I went as far as removing SB 2.0 and still there is no speech. Speech only comes back if i put it on 220h on Sound Galaxy or even a Sound Blaster Pro. With the SB 2.0, which is set for 220h game initializes the speech. I also made sure i was selecting the proper IRQ on the game setup.

I'll try to remove the OPL2 on the SB.

I still have an ATI Stereo FX which also has CMS, but i still have to try it out. Maybe this one does not bring the conflicts that the SB does, but there's the added problem of dual cards playing FM at the same time or AdLib conflict. Maybe there's enough flexibility on the Stereo FX to disable AdLib or lower the volume. Or maybe get an external mixer.

I guess part of my problems would go away with a real Game Blaster card. Although i would still need the 220h address for games like WC2...

Reply 199 of 468, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

FM and Voice jumpers on so there is no FM or digital sound output

I thought those jumpers are just line out of those sounds - at least i can hear those sounds when i connect a speaker to them.