VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought a boxed copy of The Ultimate doom. It came with 5 original floppies, the original manual and those annoying little leaflets about various things.

Trouble is now I try to install it, the floppies show general failure errors. When I tried disk 1 I could see the files and ran the install batch file, then it started reporting disk problems and now none of them read in this box or another I tried. Pulling back the slide shows the surfaces to have minor smudges and a few circular score marks.

Is there any hope here, anything I can do to retrieve the data on the disks? I've got the cd doom collection but i wanted the dos version to try on my 386.

Reply 1 of 12, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey ratfink,

maybe there is hope for you. First let me ask which OS do you use?
I discovered myself that sometimes Windows 2000/Windows XP can't read a floppy but Windows 98 SE can.

If there's alright and the disk seems to be defect, you can try to find some tools for data recovery. A good tool in the good old DOS-years was Norton DiskEdit. Never used that program but maybe my father got a copy somewhere.

Hope you'll get all working.
Vince

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There used to be a site that used PAR2 for recovery of old floppies but looks like it's down:

GameRez.ORG is Live.

How can there be a non DOS version of DOOM? No DOS executable is included?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

How can there be a non DOS version of DOOM? No DOS executable is included?

The "CD Collection" most likely refers to the 2001 Doom Collector's Edition which was just Doom95 only.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

There used to be a site that used PAR2 for recovery of old floppies but looks like it's down:

GameRez.ORG is Live.

I think that this is the main reason it didn't last.

Shagittarius wrote:

I changed the site so that you needed to be registered to download. I wasn't getting a lot of sign ups, and I'd like to try to have some sort of a user base so you must be registered to download the files now.

It was a great idea. I can see the need for having registration required for uploads, but not downloads.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

Pulling back the slide shows the surfaces to have minor smudges and a few circular score marks.

I think that while CDs can tolerate that kind of damage to some extent, your floppies are seriously busted.

Furthermore, if it was your floppy drive that caused that kind of damage, you should consider getting a new drive.

Reply 11 of 12, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
ratfink wrote:

Pulling back the slide shows the surfaces to have minor smudges and a few circular score marks.

I think that while CDs can tolerate that kind of damage to some extent, your floppies are seriously busted.

Furthermore, if it was your floppy drive that caused that kind of damage, you should consider getting a new drive.

It's how the floppies arrived, bought from ebay - I checked the surface condition of one before I used it. Ho hum. Was only a 99p auction at least.