VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other day I found this in my garage. I originally was given the old thing by a friend sometime in the early 2000s but after having not seen it anywhere for about five years, was sure someone here had thrown it out. The carry case, which had got to be quite nasty on the outside from all this time in my garage, did a great job keeping the old thing safe and as clean as when I stored it away.

It's a Royal Aristocrat manual typewriter. If I'm not mistaken, this particular one was manufactured sometime in the 1960s.

T6rRG.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And by the time you reached the green armour powerup in the first level you'd have to replace the ribbon. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 11, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny how the scientific calculator at the right of the machine would have been worth millions in the year this typewriter was made.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 7 of 11, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Selectric II in my attic. I used that thing regularly until around 2006 or 2007 when it developed this problem where it'd eject my ribbon whenever I tried typing.

A Selectric would definitely win against my Royal Aristocrat. You can't type very fast with that thing.

Reply 8 of 11, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! I think I have the exact same typewriter somewhere in my house. Too bad they don't make them like that anymore... wait... maybe I perfer the computer.
Is that Patriot RAM at the far right in the picture? I can't quite read it.

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I used to work at a business supply shop someone came in asking for a typewriter ribbon which we could get but had to order in & was quite expensive.

I asked him why he didn’t just get a basic pc & he said he did most of his writing in Africa away from any means of reliable power, not a problem for a typewriter!

Reply 11 of 11, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My grandparents used to have one similar to it (just different color) but we got rid of it long ago. Most of the time I find these things more reliable than MS Word anyway. 😜

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem