Reply 1 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dammith, their site was awesome 🙁

(Edited spelling error)

Last edited by Tetrium on 2012-01-20, 12:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What did you expect with so many users uploading illegal files for public download? Youtube is probably going to be one of the next ones to go if they don't start getting a handle on all the users who keep uploading copyrighted video content. What really gets me is that if you dare to call them out on their illegal uploads, how indignant and even vicious they become, as if distributing copyrighted material is somehow their inviolable right.

Reply 5 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not to worry. We do have backups and we'll soon place them in Vogonsdrivers.

I do not know how true are the "conspiracy" accusations directed against Multiupload, but it is indeed sad for ordinary users who wish to maintain some files for sharing among friends and relatives.

(But looking at how the authorities targeted Wikileaks' Julian Assange - he was accused of rape, just AFTER he released all the secret government and military misdeeds on Wikileaks. Other governments started to pursue him, instead of investigating the the inner cirlcles of higher authority - I'm not surprised at these latest proceedings. I guess it's easy to frame ordinary men, than to prosecute high ranking officials.)

With money and for money, anything can happen to anyone nowadays.

Beware of your enemy who has lots of money.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 17, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I do not know how true are the "conspiracy" accusations directed against Multiupload, but it is indeed sad for ordinary users who wish to maintain some files for sharing among friends and relatives.

Have you had a premium account? I guess not. Those with premium accounts were those, who were leeching giant amounts of pirated stuff. So it was basically a business, were "free" users were financed by pirates. Megaupload's business model wouldn't work if there were no users with pirated content.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 7 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote:
Malik wrote:

Have you had a premium account? I guess not. Those with premium accounts were those, who were leeching giant amounts of pirated stuff. So it was basically a business, were "free" users were financed by pirates. Megaupload's business model wouldn't work if there were no users with pirated content.

The pirate users were making money, too. Every time someone signed up for a premium account, the person whose download they wanted would be paid a percentage of the upgrade price so the users had every reason to go around and promote links to their files on as many websites as possible in the hopes that a substantial number of people would upgrade.

Reply 8 of 17, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
btw3d wrote:

Almost all Malik's 3dfx drivers are lost.

Bullshit ! I will tell people which drivers are missing in the 3DFX thread, when I have downloaded everything I can from my 3DFX driver Multi Upload mirrors. If they are missing on Multi Upload.

Malik don't get me started on the Assange case, cause that will not end well. After all, Sweden is not just my neighbouring country. But also my brother country. So if I open my mouth the wrong way (in a non diplomatic way) about the Assange case, then I have a sneaking feeling. That I will not be so popular, cause I would probably go into tirades, that states the obvious differences between rape and sex without a condom in Denmark or Sweden and what not.

Reply 10 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it's easier for them tho take down a website than to pursue the individuals that upload copywrited material to it. The people who used it for legally sharing material are probably more inconvenienced than any pirates are.

I tend to think of copyright piracy as an overblown issue. In music, album sales go up when songs from it are shared. I know people that have bought a game after already download and playing through it. Conversely, removing all pirated material doesn't guarantee people who otherwise download it actually have the money to purchase it legitimately.

There are people that will want to get for free something that they can easily afford. So because of them neither argument about additional exposure or loss of sales is completely valid.

I don't know how MegaUpload was in terms of taking down files when notified of a violation. In this case I'm more interested in the claims of Racketeering and Money Laundering.

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In the case of megaupload it seems that this wasn't just the "we have no idea what people are uploading - so we are not guilty of anything" case. Mr. Schmitz seems to be in the more than shady business.
But I never liked megaupload or rapidshare or similar...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmmm...can legitimate users sue the authority who closed down and the records/entertainment industry (who were behind these in the first place), if ordinary people are barred access to their files? I mean Megaupload didn't actually exist to transmit pirated goods only do they? Other file hosting sites are still alive and kickin'. Megaupload isn't exactly Napster, or is it?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Errmmm...can legitimate users sue the authority who closed down and the records/entertainment industry (who were behind these in the first place), if ordinary people are barred access to their files? I mean Megaupload didn't actually exist to transmit pirated goods only do they? Other file hosting sites are still alive and kickin'. Megaupload isn't exactly Napster, or is it?

If you could sue the police for enforcing the law, we wouldn't have any police at all because they'd be afraid to take any action against lawbreakers. It can also be argued that you should have backups of any file that you upload to an online service in case they should ever cease to operate.

Reply 15 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Malik wrote:

If you could sue the police for enforcing the law, we wouldn't have any police at all because they'd be afraid to take any action against lawbreakers. It can also be argued that you should have backups of any file that you upload to an online service in case they should ever cease to operate.

I think the point of "Cloud Storage" is in fact the backup most/many users are looking at when using a service like Megaupload.

I think most folks, if they are using a backup regimine then this would include local backups and an off-site backup for disaster recovery.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 16 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Malik wrote:

I think the point of "Cloud Storage" is in fact the backup most/many users are looking at when using a service like Megaupload.

I think most folks, if they are using a backup regimine then this would include local backups and an off-site backup for disaster recovery.

Then why would this exist if the assumption is that the online files are merely backups of files people already have copies of either on their hard drives or on other media?

http://www.megaretrieval.com/

If everyone had copies of their files already saved locally then they wouldn't need to recover the files they had at megaupload.

Reply 17 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just saying that if I were to use a backup option/options it would be two fold like this, both locally and an off-site backup.

However I am with you in thinking most folks do not work this way and my response was not really clear in this aspect.

I'm pretty sure that indeed most folks *do not* follow a proper backup regime by storing data locally and off-site like cloud storage.

No matter where you go, there you are...