VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 55, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

I think you guys are confusing Jedi Knight : Dark Forces 2 with Jedi Knight 2.
NOLF2 will run great on your Win7 machine (I have also played the game under Win7 x64 and it runs perfectly), but the lack of widescreen support kills it.

Heck, I'm still using a CRT monitor, what do I care about widescreen support? 😜

Reply 42 of 55, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm also using an XP system with an AGP NVidia FX card- 5900 XT. I use two Black Magic Voodoo 2's in SLI mode for the 3dfx titles. I've always been a big fan of the FX card. I still have my demo discs with the Dawn/Dusk, Ogre and Werewolf programs.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 43 of 55, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Concupiscence wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

NOLF2 will run great on your Win7 machine (I have also played the game under Win7 x64 and it runs perfectly), but the lack of widescreen support kills it.

Cool, no need for another PC then 😜

Reply 44 of 55, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

My choices, in order :

1. ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB

I'm still concerned about FSAA compatibility with older games though....

Reply 46 of 55, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Malik wrote:

My choices, in order :

1. ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB

I'm still concerned about FSAA compatibility with older games though....

Don't be - ATI and Nvidia's drivers support forced FSAA for older apps, and it's about as seamless as you can imagine. Unless you're trying to force AA on DirectX 9 games using deferred rendering (which WILL result in visual artifacting, if it works at all), it should be simple.

F2bnp wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Cool, no need for another PC then 😜

Oh, p'shaw - my Win7 x64 box + 512 MB 9600GT's wonderfully powerful, but it doesn't play so nice with pre-Direct3D 8 games... and what else should I do with a spare KVM switch and a mountain of old hardware?

Reply 47 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Concupiscence wrote:

Don't be - ATI and Nvidia's drivers support forced FSAA for older apps, and it's about as seamless as you can imagine. Unless you're trying to force AA on DirectX 9 games using deferred rendering (which WILL result in visual artifacting, if it works at all), it should be simple.

With the current Nvidia cards (like a GTX460) you can get AA on any game by using a upscaling trick.

Basically you create a custom resolution that's higher than your monitor. It works very well and does beautiful AA in games like Dead Space.

With this trick you can get Farcry with HDR AND AA.

It's quite demanding, but games like Farcry are no issue for a card like the GTX460 even with HDR and AA.

Reply 48 of 55, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use that resolution trick too. The best part of this is that it works with everything. It's oversampling and I think it's essentially like the old ordered grid SSAA modes (you can still enable these with NVIDIA Inspector).

The result is a lot better than nothing, but if you can get the SGSSAA modes working they can be much better.

Reply 49 of 55, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you use resolution trick on, say, GeForce 6800 GT? Is it a driver-related hack or hardware-related?

Anyway, if there is also tool to force SSAA on Radeons, then it would definitely make them very interesting vidcard for old games. I'm not really an ATI user, but from my limited experience, it seems Radeons have better IQ than GeForces.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 50 of 55, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Can you use resolution trick on, say, GeForce 6800 GT? Is it a driver-related hack or hardware-related?

Anyway, if there is also tool to force SSAA on Radeons, then it would definitely make them very interesting vidcard for old games. I'm not really an ATI user, but from my limited experience, it seems Radeons have better IQ than GeForces.

It should be even easier; Nvidia's control panel supports per-application custom profiles.

I tried the 9550XL, but in a couple of newer games there were triangle artifacts like crazy; it's going into the parts bin. The Radeon 9000's going to be my testbed for now. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Reply 51 of 55, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Concupiscence wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

You would if this was your CRT

0in0.JPG

Reply 52 of 55, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CRT and widescreen just don't match in my brain 😜
I already hate widescreens for ruining so many games and movies (although it does make a lot of movies and games which are designed with widescreen in mind look better) and now they're onto CRTs too. Gahhh 😜

Reply 54 of 55, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

John Carmack had one.

http://www.geekosystem.com/1995-john-carmack-quake-monitor/

johnandquake-e1316617217967.jpg

The only problem with getting one of these now is shipping. They weigh 100 lbs. and can only be shipped by freight carrier and most freight carriers won't deliver to any place that doesn't have a loading dock AND if they do, they will only deliver to the curb (assuming the truck they use has a liftgate, otherwise you are responsible for getting it off the truck), they won't unload it and bring it to your door so you pretty much have to go pick it up at the nearest depot which might be 100 miles away if you live far from a major city. And because it's so big and heavy, the freight charge is going to end up being 3-4X what the monitor is actually worth.

Reply 55 of 55, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

God, that's a hell of a monitor. 😳

The Radeon 9550XL seemed like a good initial option, but I was greeted with some strange visual artifacting in one or two games. That may have been a problem caused by leftover scraps from the driver install for an x800GTO a friend lent me, but I've settled on the Radeon 9000 and so far haven't had any complaints. Thanks for all the advice!