VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i am looking for a freeware paint/image editing program that is similar and does the things that jasc paint shop pro can do. i m guessing there is a load about but need peoples guidance into finding the good ones! 😉 any help is much appreciated! 😀

thanks for your time

Reply 1 of 29, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.gimp.org/

I'm not having a go, that's actually what it's called 😀 I use it and it works pretty well.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 29, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never got used to Gimp so cannot comment. Paint.net is good but compared to PSP X (last version I used [extensively]), it's quite basic. A couple of things that spring to mind: text handling is poor (not exactly a strength of PSP either but it's better than PDN), selections are very limiting too.

http://getpaint.net

Reply 7 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 GIMP here too.

The only real downside is that if you're very accustomed to some other product (thinking Photoshop mainly), then GIMP's workflow and tool placement can seem weird.

But eh, you get used to it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, Gimp is good, the gtk interface is not the best but being an old cross platform program that's what you have to live with.
Paint.net wasn't advanced enough for my needs when I was still on Windows (2-3 years ago).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the latest version from a couple of months ago finally added a single-window mode.

There was a fork called "GIMPshop" which tried to improve the interface, but apparently it is now many years out of date. Wikipedia also mentions GimPhoto.

Reply 13 of 29, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally, I didn't care for GIMP that much. I admit that I didn't really study it, but my impression of it was that it would be quite hard to do any precision work in it. For example, I wanted to smooth part of a scanned page. However, I only wanted to smooth an irregular image in the center of the page. Trying to outline the image with the entire page visible on the screen wasn't very precise, but once you zoom in and start a freehand selection, there's no way to scroll the window to select a larger portion of the image than what's currently visible. Also, the selection and erasure methods seem pretty limited. It does have a good selection of filters and color operations though.

For actually editing images, I prefer Ultimate Paint, which is available in both shareware and freeware versions. The only thing missing from the freeware version are a bunch of the image filters. You can get it here;

http://www.ultimatepaint.com/

Think of it as Deluxe Paint for Windows.

Things I like: For all tools, left button draws in the foreground color, right button erases to the current background color. You can instantly cut out a brush and draw with it, no messing with COPY or PASTE menu commands. +/- on the numeric keypad change the zoom level, no need to click icons to do it. Screen can be scrolled or the zoom level changed without interrupting the current operation. You can change the 'handle' on a clipped brush between the center and all four corners by pressing the "5" key on the numeric keypad. You can add or subtract pixels from all four edges of the canvas if you find you need more room or want to get rid of unused space. Most all the features just seem to work like you'd expect them to.

Things I don't like: There's no transparent fill! Holding down the Shift key to constrain movement to the horizontal or vertical doesn't kick in right away, pretty much negating its usefulness. If you zoom into a window, switch to a different window with a different zoom level and then switch back, the first window will reset to the upper left corner of the image and you'll have to scroll back to where you were working. There's a transparency setting for brushes, but it's really only good for stamping down a single copy. As soon as you move a brush in drawing mode, it instantly becomes 100% opaque because it interacts with the color it just painted.

Despite the few negatives, it's my graphics program of choice. It may not replicate drawing on rice paper with colored chalk, but in my opinion, you can't beat it if you want pixel-level control over your image editing.

Reply 16 of 29, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still using PSP7 and PhotoShop 7. I have Gimp as well but I don't use it much for some of the reasons stated above. Never tried Paint.Net. But I'm going to.

And I think the best DOS art tool is Deluxe Paint 2.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 17 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GIMP is good and powerful. It does much,much more than my simple, occassional editing/resizing needs. But my only gripe with it is that it takes so long to load initially. Opening images also takes some time. It's noticable even in my corei7 systems. Either that, or I didn't configure something properly.

I also don't like the floating toolbox layout - can't close the box.

But it's free.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@MusicallyInspired:

yep, I still use PSP7 too! LUCKILY it runs fine under win7/x64 😀
Jasc should be ashamed they butchered PainShop and Corel for making it a lame photo-retouching prog.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 29, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

@MusicallyInspired:

yep, I still use PSP7 too! LUCKILY it runs fine under win7/x64 😀
Jasc should be ashamed they butchered PainShop and Corel for making it a lame photo-retouching prog.

Same here but I have 9.0, Hopy Cow they acquired Roxio 😳 🤣