VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I frequently shop Amazon and Ebay looking for old games to add to my collection. I try to find listings that include the box and manual. Usually I get a good price.

Sometimes the seller will confuse rare with valuable. Dark Reign: Battles Of The Outer Rim is a collection of individual levels with a launcher. Similar to Add-Ons released for Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Heretic. It's not particularly good but when looking for a copy I kept finding listings at $50 for just the disc in a paper sleeve. I eventually did give in when I found a boxed copy for around $30.

Often I have a good experience with games I order. Other times it seems that online sellers have no idea what they were selling. While looking for Dark Seed 2, I first got the Mac version because the system wasn't specified. Then there was this instance where I think the listing was intentionally deceptive in addition to the seller not knowing better. I did finally get a good copy on the 3rd try.

On my first attempt to purchase Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive the seller was unaware the game was a 6 CD set and only sent me discs 1, 2, and 3.

Some sellers just don't take the effort to look at their item. When I first ordered Master Levels for Doom, I got the Master Levels flip case holding a Doom 2 disc.

What was supposed to be the CD version of Isle Of The Dead turned out to be CD World - Volume 11. The front of the jewel case advertised it as Isle Of The Dead but had a few blurbs added on setting it apart from the original artwork. The back of the jewel case listed 15 other shareware games included on the disc.

There are situations where the original item wasn't very distinctive to begin with. I wanted the Quake expansions and ordered Aftershock expecting a 3 episode continuation that ties in with the story. I got Aftershock Deluxe which is just a collection of individual levels with a launcher. The one I wanted was Aftershock Advanced Levels. Now Advanced Levels sounds like it would be a collection of levels and Deluxe sounds like it would have the most features including the expansion. In addition to that confusion they have the same artwork and disc label. The only way to tell which disc does what is to install them and find out. There's also an Aftershock Toolbox which is easier to identify.

Not only are rare games often mistaken for valuable they're hard to search for. Battles Of The Outer Rim kept giving me results for Star Wars items. Plus, I want to make special mention that Ebay's spell correct is especially frustrating when looking for games with weird names. Quake 2: Zaero keeps getting turned into Zero and gives listings for another Quake 2 expansion, Ground Zero.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2012-03-13, 00:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Q2 Zaero, put quotes around "zaero" to make it a literal.

Alternatively, try "quake 2 zaero -zero" to specifically reject items with the word "zero".

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two things help when looking for true items from "reliable" sellers :

1. The way the item description is written, and

2. Previous experience with the seller.

If what we really want is with some obscure seller with just a single line of information on the item, it's worth asking him/her the details required. The way the reply is written and how fast it is replied will show how knowledgable and sincere is the seller. If no reply, it's advisable not to take chances.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately ebay is no longer a great place for finding old games. A number of sellers are just parking buy it now's with outrageous prices which they let sit for month after month, years even, until someone gives in and pays. And oftentimes the 'complete' versions of games are in fact missing registration cards and so on, or have been cobbled together and have incorrect items.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 4 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's important to actually know all the details of a game before you go purchasing it from anyone trying to sell it online.

When I did my most recent ADG, I went looking for Seek and Destroy on eBay and turned up three copies, but all of them are sketchy in some way:

1. The most expensive listing is only "acceptable" condition and the only pictures shown are a shot of the front of the jewel case for the B&N release, which may or may not be the full game (no idea), and a shot of the back of the box for the actual full release, taken from the Moby Games website.

2. The middle listing has NO details about the item itself save for that little box that has basic game stats like the publisher and release date. Not even pictures. Not even STOCK pictures like the other two listings.

3. The cheapest listing says its the one by "Epic Games" from 1996, but the screenshot and description are in line with the PS2 game by the same name from 2002.

Usually, so long as a game only had one release and only came on a single CD, you don't run into any issues. Beyond that, it's important to know the details and to ask a seller questions before you even consider giving them money. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use GOG a bit too and the games usually work on DOS, etc; most of the DosBox stuff can be cleaned out.

I prefer to have the CD or floppies though when I can, and eBay often comes through with the goods if I'm patient... or willing to pay mega bucks.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some reason http://www.cdaccess.com is still around, at least. It's kind of surprising they've endured for so long. Maybe they just want to sell off those hundreds of copies of Terra Nova.

Reply 8 of 9, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Value Village remains my best source of buying old games. And they've all been in great condition so far, as well.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 9 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A new one to add to the list. I was looking for Cyberia and expected the original 1994 disc. What I received was one of 3 discs from Ultimate Flight Pack, a re-release in 1997. After contacting the seller they were able to describe where the disc came from but didn't put this information in the description.