VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

today I installed win3.11 on my p200mmx dos machine... everything runs OK but I don't really get the MIDI MAPPER stuff... let me explain with nice pictures 😁

a: this is the midi mapper without the SB16 installed, it has some default devices and I just added LAPC-I (driver in devices) :

j9bxaa.jpg

and here is the LAPC-I's settings:

15ciu4k.jpg

nice stuff and the sample windows midis sound fine 😊

b: then I add the latest SB16 driver and I have these devices:

34r9754.jpg

seems fine, sfx work fine , FM works and the DB50-XG works too... but the LAPC-I setup in MIDI Mapper is deleted. The SB16 driver just replaces midimap.cfg with it's own and does not care about any other devices.
So I just add manually a LAPC-I setup:

sg49dk.jpg

that looks like this after I edited the channels:

24mweti.jpg

there are no patch map names to choose from so all channels are "none" and not mt32 ones... So I just made it to look like the original LAPC-I midimap.cfg ... is this correct? LAPC-I does work for midi but since the SB16 setup also deletes patch maps it sounds VERY wrong... 😖

So what I am doing wrong? what do I miss? 🙁
I would really welcome some feedback on this 😢

Thanks in advance for any info/help!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this link provides no help with the issues I describe here... but thanks anyway for your time

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I resorted to manually add the SB16 information in the original 3.11 midimap.cfg that has extended setups and patches...

In case anyone cares in the future, I have attached the file here:
have SB16 installation complete and overwrite midimap.cfg, then just overwrite with the one in the zip to have all the goodies in midi mapper (file goes to WINDOWS/SYSTEM) 😊

Attachments

• Filename
    MIDIMAP-SB16-LAPC.zip
    File size
    3.46 KiB
    Downloads
    427 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your LAPC-I settings look correct except for one item : On your "after" screenshot for the LAPC-I, your source channel 10 (for percussion and SFX) goes to destination channel 11. Shouldn't it be destination channel 10, which is what the LAPC-I uses for percussion/sfx?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Great Hierophant:
I guess you are correct but there is abysmal difference between the 2 configs... the stock 3.x midimap.cfg has a complete setup of patch maps and key maps and redirects the lapc-i channels to mt-32 patch maps - and there is a specific one called "mt32 percussion" for the one you mention.
At any rate adding the SB16 setups in the stock midimap.cfg seems the best solution IMHO since you retain the gazzilion other settings

Reply 6 of 9, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

The SB16 driver just replaces midimap.cfg with it's own and does not care about any other devices.

A similar thing happened to me when I installed the AWE64 Gold Windows 3.1 drivers and software. It replaced midimap.cfg with its own one. No more adlib, proteus, or any of the default Windows configurations. I think it gave me the option of backing up the Windows one, however, and I did. I think it also commented out the existing FM drivers in my system.ini (adlib, SB Pro, and Voyetra).

And could you not restore the original midimap.cfg from the Windows 3.1 disks?

Reply 7 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep at the end I restored from my install disks AdamP ... and it was way more easier to add the SB16 info to it than doing the opposite to the sb16 .cfg

Reply 8 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Basic and Extended MIDI mappings confuse the heck out of me. Its like they were inspired by the Adlib and Roland MT-32 devices, but do not match up 1 for 1 with them.

The MT-32, MT-100, CM-32L & LAPC-I respond to messages by default on MIDI channels 2-9 with channel 10 devoted to percussion and SFX. The CM-64 & CM-500 also respond on channels 11-16, but Microsoft's Extended MIDI mapper maps channels 1-9 with 10 as the percussion & SFX. So by that mapping the LA devices would come up short.

By contrast, General MIDI devices would exceed the mapping, as they respond on channels 1-16. Lack of polyphony in practice may decrease the number of channels, but there is no guarantee that MIDI commands would not be transmitted on channels 11-16. I suppose that is what All MIDI mapping is for, but it is not readily apparent that Windows 3.x can support all 16 channels at a time.

Finally, its handling of Basic MIDI, intended for Adlib devices, is most perplexing. The Adlib knows nothing about MIDI, so software has to translate MIDI commands and data to OPL2/3 register writes. An Adlib can respond to 9 instrument channels or 6 instrument channels and 5 percussion instruments. Even using the percussion mode, the Adlib should be able to utilize seven MIDI channels (with one for the five percussion instruments). Basic MIDI only allots four channels with one for percussion. Seems as if the capabilities of the basic Adlib, nevermind the OPL3 cards, are underused.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't comment to the Basic Midi stuff but I assume they might work with some ol program or was a common setup or something along those lines...
It's a pity OPLx goes so much unnoticed but I speculate ms did not bother writing more maps/settings for them since the "serious" user of the era would probably have a roland/gm synth and did not really pay attention to the weak OPLx device (provided he had one in the first place 🤣)
Personally I think that OPL usage in pcs is generally on the "meh" side (there are some exceptions for sure) , one only has to listen to some sega genesis tunes to realize it himself...