VOGONS

Common searches

Comic demo for DOS?

Topic actions

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Somewhere in my archive of old magazines I gotta have this demonstrative episode of some comic book which run under DOS...
If only I could remember the name...

Reply 2 of 22, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None of the above. I remember it was some kind of shareware episode and it was colorful, supposedly VGA with the balloons appearing and alternating in simple transition effects and some boom and bang sound effects.
Sorry, I can't remember much about it 😅
If it was a game I could look for it on mobygames or google but I'm not even sure how to search for it on google cos "dos" seems to mean a lot of stuff and "abandonware" seems to be strictly game related so I get a lot of "Captain Comic" results although I searched for "comics" and not for "comic".
Any search suggestions?

Reply 3 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's VGA, perhaps Skul or The Suit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-VIRTUAL-COMICS-SKU … X-/230499109134

I think they were published online, last time I saw them.

Reply 5 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those "games" were both around for a very long time. They might have been on floppy disk, and the characters definitely aren't famous. Are you sure it isn't them?

Reply 10 of 22, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nikiniki it run under dos, it was interactive comic book or interactive hypercomics, with very eazy navigation mostly just like page up, page dn, esc (exit)
That be something like Beneath a Steel Sky, Lance Stone: Trouble at the Woz from PC Comix Inc

Last edited by shspvr on 2012-03-31, 01:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 22, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Beneath a Steel Sky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_a_Steel_Sky
Lance Stone: Trouble at the Woz "there is no picture of it" how ever there is some info here http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ just look up pc comix inc.

Reply 14 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's pretty unlikely. "Interactive Fiction" tends to be strictly text-based, with minimal graphics. What you want is the "Multimedia Novel" adventure subgenre.

Now that you mention it, Pangea: Return to Planet Earth seems like a likely candidate.

Reply 16 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That never had a demo and that's not a comic book, it's a platformer.

Obscure DOS games/demos are the worst thing one could request about, since no one really does any digging. and just search for the obvious keyword (i.e. its a comic.... OH IT MUST BE CAPTAIN COMIC)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 22, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That never had a demo and that's not a comic book, it's a platformer.

Obscure DOS games/demos are the worst thing one could request about, since no one really does any digging. and just search for the obvious keyword (i.e. its a comic.... OH IT MUST BE CAPTAIN COMIC)

I know that but I tought he may want some like that

Reply 18 of 22, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyway I believe the concept of comics under DOS (considering the technology of the time) and using transition effects for balloons and taking advantage of sounds is really amazing.
Thanks everybody for the help, gonna do some ebay searches!

Reply 19 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If it's graphic-novel-ish with a futuristic theme then perhaps "Pangea: Return to Planet Earth" is what you're looking for. A search on the name should turn up info, images, and even a YouTube video to help you decide if it's the right one.