VOGONS

Common searches

Archive.org CD collections

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone been following them?

Because holy sht

Last edited by leileilol on 2012-06-01, 12:26. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 77, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not everything on a magazine disk is going to be safe to distribute as the copyright holders may have only granted a license to the magazine that originally published the disk. Distribution by anyone else without permission is still a no-no. That is another argument that used to surface from time to time that you rarely see anymore is that "It was distributed on a magazine disk once, so that makes it OK to copy." No, it does not make it OK to copy because the magazine had expressed permission from the copyright holder to include the software on their disk or CD.

Reply 5 of 77, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Jason Scott's in charge of this. You might want to watch this for his motives.

though you might be right for some of the cds - PC Gamer 5.10 especially, which should be pulled.

What an irritating dickhead this guy is. Who the hell is he and why should I care?

What specifically is on the 5.10 CD that should be pulled?

Reply 6 of 77, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

What an irritating dickhead this guy is. Who the hell is he and why should I care?

Try watching the whole thing before you come to a stupid judgmental conclusion about a person who wants to preserve history.

I don't think Jason Scott is irritating, infact he's doing a very good thing putting up shovelware which may have rare demos and things like that - it's just that some of this is 'getting crap past the radar', and 2000-2001 seems to be the timeframe when some PC gaming magazines got a whiff of the 'abandonware' hype and decided to dump full games on their discs (I know CGW March 2001 had plenty of 'underdogs', that similarily should be exempt from the archive.org collection)

which is a shame since some of those CDs may contain legit rare files for games.

sliderider wrote:

A google would reveal this
PC%20Gamer%20disc%205.10%20July%202000.preview.jpeg

Last edited by leileilol on 2012-03-29, 17:05. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 77, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been on my list of things to do to download these for 6+ months but I haven't gotten around to it
Guess I better get to it ASAP before the copyrighted stuff disappears 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 77, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Try watching the whole thing before you come to a stupid judgmental conclusion about a person who wants to preserve history. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Try watching the whole thing before you come to a stupid judgmental conclusion about a person who wants to preserve history.

I don't think Jason Scott is irritating, infact he's doing a very good thing putting up shovelware which may have rare demos and things like that - it's just that some of this is 'getting crap past the radar', and 2000-2001 seems to be the timeframe when some PC gaming magazines got a whiff of the 'abandonware' hype and decided to dump full games on their discs (I know CGW March 2001 had plenty of 'underdogs', that similarily should be exempt from the archive.org collection)

which is a shame since some of those CDs may contain legit rare files for games.

sliderider wrote:

A google would reveal this
PC%20Gamer%20disc%205.10%20July%202000.preview.jpeg

What makes you think I didn't watch the whole thing? I still say he is an irritating dickhead and I have no reason to care.

Reply 10 of 77, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My personal opinion on Jason Scott is that he is doing a service to humanity.
The cd.textfiles archive is a pure treasure to anyone interested in computing history.
Many things would be lost without him archiving and offering them to the public and I really like the guy and his style 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 77, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Is the Daikatana demo the reason that cd should be pulled? 🤣

Damn, you beat me to the punchline!

Are there any other worthwhile PC Gamer discs? I've been trying to find an index somewhere but haven't had success.

I still have PC Gamer #1 somewhere around here. Maybe I should send that to Jason..

Reply 15 of 77, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found it fun to browse archive.org / cd.textfiles.com for the really old stuff... think 1982-84, real amateurish text-mode and CGA games written in (sometimes broken) BASIC, compiled BASIC and Turbo Pascal 1.0. This is what was circulating on the earliest PC-Talk BBSs, so you get a peek at the birth of shareware/freeware on the PC.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 16 of 77, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neat. Although I already have all those disks stored away somewhere. I finally stopped my PC Gamer subscription last year after being a loyal subscriber for over 15 years. It is fun to flip though some of those old mags from time to time. Reading them rave about how awesome the latest Pentium II was, or how great Windows 95 will be for gaming. 😎

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 19 of 77, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shspvr wrote:

That game by Bullfrog Productions, based on what is in that ad, was made in 1993.

Yes, it's from a 1992 issue of PC Review.

Something tells me that battle is not the name of the game.

Unfortunately I have no indication of what else it may have been called. Someone on some other forum once managed to contact someone formerly of Bullfrog who had at least heard of it.