VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted here not knowing if a question about software for a Mac belongs elsewhere. Sorry if this is wrong spot.

I recently started using a PowerBook G4 as my daily computer and have been pretty happy so far. However, when I was primarily using Windows, i made extensive use of XMPlay for it's ability to play MIDI with .sf2 soundfonts and I used Irfanview a lot for it's nice use of the keyboard, ability to scroll through a folder of images with the arrow keys and the ability to quickly resize images. I was wondering if anyone here knows of similar programs to replace those two that will run on a PowerPC Mac running OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Reply 1 of 1, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know how long the feature has been around, but VLC currently has FluidSynth integrated so it can play back MIDIs with Soundfonts. While they still have a PPC version, it looks like it only supports 10.5. However I bet if you went back to whatever the last version for 10.4 was it would still have FluidSynth in it.

On the other hand, this may not be the best solution. While the playback is mostly good, I've noticed that sometimes notes will randomly go out of tune... however it's the only program I know of. I haven't been on OS X for all that long, so maybe some longer users know of something better.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!