Look at this. It's funny.

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.myabandonware.com/howto/

Look at the line at the bottom of the page.

"For additional help, you should ask your questions over the Vogons forums."

Is it any wonder so many people come here asking how to get abandonware to run if the abandonware sites themselves are telling people to come here? Is there any way to put a stop to this?

Reply 1 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, like anything else, DOSBox can be used for good or ill and you can't do much to prevent people who advocate the latter from directing people to a place that only helps the former.

Honestly, before people are allowed to register here, in capital letters it should be stated :

No discussion of abandonware will be tolerated on these forums. Support will only be offered to those who legally obtained their software. Members asking for help with abandonware may (will) be banned.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 23, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's always possible to block HTTP requests coming from specific referrers (such as that site) and show them a nice rejection message.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 6 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Failblog Link wrote:

The one pictured is about as useful as a fan with no blade!

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/fans

If not for the fact these things are really pricy, I'd probably get one. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those Dyson fans do have blades, they're just out of view.

They're noisy as hell though, so you can't forget they're there!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Those Dyson fans do have blades, they're just out of view.

They're noisy as hell though, so you can't forget they're there!

Seriously? OK, maybe I don't want one then. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 23, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird, they seemed quiet when I saw them... but then again, checking them out in a busy electrical goods store isn't quite the same as sitting peacefully at home trying to read a book with one of them humming loudly in your ear...

Reply 11 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that used to be an X16 PCI-E slot. There's a latch at the end of the slot you need to release when removing a card, this user didn't bother with that and pulled half the slot out with the card.

That picture is after my repair- I cut the free standing pins off with wirecutters so they wouldn't short, the small bit of tape is just to stop a few loose pins in the end of the slot from shorting.

Computer still works 😀 haven't been game to try the slot though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Weird, they seemed quiet when I saw them... but then again, checking them out in a busy electrical goods store isn't quite the same as sitting peacefully at home trying to read a book with one of them humming loudly in your ear...

They're not so bad at about 3/4 power setting or lower, but they're quite obnoxious at full boar.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, as Great Hierophant said, I think it will be helpful to display warnings during registration and also maybe a sticky reading something like "No Abandoware related discussions allowed. No help will be provided for downloaded abandonware games." Preferably the sticky should be put up at all the relevant sections, like DOS, Windows, PC, Dosbox Games/Applications etc. Just a suggestion.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 23, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That poor motherboard! Even if the chipset heatsinks still did a fraction of their job, wouldn't that kill the card as well? I'd hate to see the inside of that PC after the temps rise...

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 17 of 23, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw it on Reddit earlier, I assume he got it from there. That screenshot hurt me to read... I don't even...

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 19 of 23, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh dear... wait till that guy hears about booter games - it'll take years to scrape his exploded brains off the internet.

"Fucking magnets, how do they work?" indeed.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]