Reply 20 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Would my bases be covered?

Yes!

How would I switch b/w general MIDI and MT-32 MIDI given they both use the same port (330)? Is this just an internal/external option being switched in the SCC-1's software?

Both MIDI devices will play at the same time (if the Game is General Midi the MT-32 will sound wrong and if the Game is MT-32 the SCC-1 will sound wrong).

So yes it's just a matter of muting one and the other using the SB16 mixer.

A 3 channel Stereo mixer would solve all this. Then you can configure the mixer to mute MT-32 for General MIDI + SB 16 games and mute General MIDI for SB 16 + MT-32 games.

OR use a 2 channel Stereo switchbox to feed the MT-32 and General MIDI signals into the line-in of the Sound Blaster.

I also plug things in manually as I do recordings as well and every scenario can be totally different.

Note that the SB16 has more inputs than just line-in. There is AUX and CD but they are on the board so you would need to build some cables.

Reply 21 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave the Yamaha 719 another go and got some satisfaction this time. It was behaving strangely again - not playing FM in some games, but working fine in others - until I disabled that "Ymersion" nonsense via the Windows tool included with the drivers. I'd just turned it all the way down to 0 using SETUPSA, and this wasn't a good idea apparently.

It seems to be happy enough now though and does sound good, so I whipped up a ribbon cable for the DB and... computer said no. Apparently my handyman skills aren't quite as sharp as I thought they were; life's full of nasty surprises.

Does that offer still stand RE the $10 ribbon cable DonutKing?

And thanks for the info RE the SCC-1, there's a couple on eBay for outrages prices and the most expensive of the lot looks promising; it comes with the relevant cable and documentation. I've asked the seller for some more info and if they come through with the goods I might just take the plunge. If my wife confronts me I'll just say that 2 older boys on the internet dared me to do it 😀

Reply 23 of 29, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to be happy enough now though and does sound good, so I whipped up a ribbon cable for the DB and... computer said no. Apparently my handyman skills aren't quite as sharp as I thought they were; life's full of nasty surprises.

The trick with the ribbon cable is to swap each pair on one end. like this:

1---2
2---1
3---4
4---3
5---6
6---5
7---8
8---7

If you like I'll make one for you this weekend 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 24 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the info, I'd assumed 1-->1, etc. It made my power supply go all zzzz click.

I'll have another go at some stage but in the mean time a true plug and play SB16 has come my way, so I've been fiddling with that in combination with the CT2800. It works OK but messing around with CTCU, diagnose and SET BLASTER lines is a pain in the arse. Then on top of that you've got MIXERSET to worry about - yuk.

I've decided just to dive in and buy a Roland SCC-1. It wasn't cheap, but it came with the original box, documentation, and most importantly the MIDI cable.

Thanks again for your input guys.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

I've decided just to dive in and buy a Roland SCC-1.

Well done!

There simply is no substitute for the real thing 😀

Reply 26 of 29, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
The trick with the ribbon cable is to swap each pair on one end. like this: […]
Show full quote

The trick with the ribbon cable is to swap each pair on one end. like this:

1---2
2---1
3---4
4---3
5---6
6---5
7---8
8---7

If you like I'll make one for you this weekend 😀

How are you mounting your DB?
I made my cable too small so I just shamefully wrapped it in bubble wrap and wedged it between the sound card and nic...

[Edit]
I wonder if it's possible to make an external box for a wavetable daughterboard...

Reply 27 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheLazy1 wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to make an external box for a wavetable daughterboard...

Like this?

http://www.joebrown.org.uk/wp/?p=3124

Cool project but a beyond my skill level.

Reply 28 of 29, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just using plastic standoffs and rubber bands to hold the DB on the sound card 🤣. It's not pretty but it works.

I've bought an MU10XG anyway so I don't really need to worry about the daughterboard any more.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 29 of 29, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:
Like this? […]
Show full quote
TheLazy1 wrote:

Like this?

http://www.joebrown.org.uk/wp/?p=3124

Cool project but a beyond my skill level.

Neat!
I saw that a while ago but then couldn't find it again, definitely something to look into in the future.