VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I purchased Grand Theft Auto Collector's Edition PC, which contains GTA1, GTA London 1969, and GTA 2. As usual, I copied those CDs into Nero image files (.NRG), because I just have a habit of playing from mounted images. I plan to play the game in DOSBOX and GLide Wrapper.

Turned out the GTA Collector's Edition is protected by SecuROM.

It seems my laptop has been infected by disgusting SecuROM. In panic, I search the internet, and found tips to remove SecuROM manually (this and this). It says that first we must deleted Securom\ folder in C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data.

I have searched every Application Data\ folder in each user. And yes, I always enable "Show hidden files" on Windows Explorer. Yet, I didn't find the Securom\ folder.

Also, I have ran TrashReg, and it failed to find anything suspicious.

However, when using regedit, I found a registry entry named SecuROM in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software.

So has my laptop been infected with SecuROM? And how could I remove the disgusting thing? Help!

PS: I'm using Windows XP SP2 on Lenovo B460 laptop.

Reply 1 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, I have checked Windows Services, yet I didn't see SecuROM User Access Service (UAService), nor did I find uaservice7.exe in C:\Windows\System32 folder. But still, there are SecuROM registry entries in my registry. What happens?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, thanks!

Anyway, maybe the GTA Collector Edition is using newer version of SecuROM?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 11, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know you could use this https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html
Depend on the OS your using and the ver of the SecuROM
It should,
Under Windows Vista/7 it is ?:\Users\"Uesr Name"\AppData\Roaming\SecuROM\
Under Windiws 2000/XP it is ?:\Documents and Settings\"User"\Application Data\SecuROM\
I don't know where it would be on Windows 9x or NT4 my guest would be the system32 folder.

Reply 5 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, the GTA Classic Collection isn't using the Securom PA. The game is using older version of Securom. No drivers, no online activation etc. Just the cd checking. Relax and RTFM in the future please...

Reply 6 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

Man, the GTA Classic Collection isn't using the Securom PA. The game is using older version of Securom. No drivers, no online activation etc. Just the cd checking. Relax and RTFM in the future please...

What manual? Like the damn thing comes with manual to begin with.

shspvr wrote:
You know you could use this https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html Depend on the OS your using and the ver of the SecuROM […]
Show full quote

You know you could use this https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html
Depend on the OS your using and the ver of the SecuROM
It should,
Under Windows Vista/7 it is ?:\Users"Uesr Name"\AppData\Roaming\SecuROM\
Under Windiws 2000/XP it is ?:\Documents and Settings"User"\Application Data\SecuROM\
I don't know where it would be on Windows 9x or NT4 my guest would be the system32 folder.

Well I used the remover, and it seems to work. There is no longer SecuROM entries on my registry.

Well, as for the game itself, I eventually found my original GTA 1 CD, and got rid myself of the collector edition. Now I have the GTA I'm already familiar with - the one with GTAFX.EXE in GTADOS folder. Tested it with DOSBOX ykhwong built.

I'm using September 2011 built (20110922.7z), because the latest built crashes when loading state (IIRC because Taewoong uses Visual Studio C compiler). The 20110922 built can save and load state in Grand Theft Auto without crashing, but after loading state, the textures become corrupted that my car looks like a piece of sidewalk, building roof look llike mosaic of cars, etc, etc, and sometimes it's bad enough that it hampers gameplay.

Too bad. The reason I didn't finish GTA1 on the first place is because it cannot save a game during a mission - which could take hours. This game really screams for a save game feature.

I'll try tinkering with it again next weekend. Maybe the texture corruption happens because I'm using "dynamic" values for every parameter (automatic CPU cycle, changing DOSBOX output from Direct3D to OpenGL back and forth, etc). I'll try to run DOSBOX traditionally, with a conf file where everything is set statically, and try save and load state with GTA.

But otherwise, everything is fine. I'm using it with nGLide wrapper, setting max FSAA, etc, and the graphic looks great. Too bad there the save and load state doesn't work well with GTA 1.

Reply 8 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

You could stick with those old GTAs and fill yourself in with GTA2's freeware version, that one shouldn't be securom'd...

Will do. But of course, at the moment, I cannot still save game in GTA 1. Will try DOSBOX with fixed values next weekend, maybe I'll get better result.

Reply 10 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

GTA's designed for absurdedly long sessions at a time.

Well that's actually the reason I didn't finish the original. 😵

Reply 11 of 11, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It uses SecuROM v4, which is older and nothing to worry about, the removal tool completely gets rid of it.

Also, the collectors edition of GTA is messed up, GTA1 has all the audio tracks in the wrong order 😒

You can still download the free versions from rockstar, as well as the London 1961 expansion.