VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As some of you may be aware, I not only produce a web show about DOS games, but I also MAKE games. ;)

Thus, after many months of design work and a little over a month of programming, I can finally announce my current game project: Vectorzone!

The ultimate goal of the project is to create a 2D shooter with world-building and dungeon crawl elements, along with several multiplayer modes. While the game is still many months away from that goal, I decided to open up the alphas to the public to gather suggestions and bug reports as I develop the foundation of what this game will become.

Once all the systems that will make the game work are implemented and it comes time to add the vast majority of the content, development will switch over from public alphas to private betas, and then eventually from there to a full commercial release.

At the moment, the current v0.01a public alpha is nothing more than moving a ship around and exploring the beginnings of random map generation, but I will be releasing updates once or twice a month so there's plenty more to come! ;)

For any of you who want to download the current public alpha and get more information, point your way over here: http://www.pixelships.com/vzone

Also, here's a few screenshots of v0.01a which you can click on to see them at full resolution. As said, lots of work to do still, but it's a start!

vzscreen_001a_01_thumb.png vzscreen_001a_02_thumb.png vzscreen_001a_03_thumb.png vzscreen_001a_04_thumb.png

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice - I like the concept.

is your FPS counter reliable? Testing on an old GeForce 7300 at 1280x1024, it's wildly jumping across the 20-75 FPS range, even if I sit around doing nothing, but the real framerate feels pretty constant (and closer to the lower end of that)...

You should probably mention that the MSVC 2010 redistributable package is also required (otherwise it complains about a missing/invalid msvcr100.dll).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 3, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

is your FPS counter reliable? Testing on an old GeForce 7300 at 1280x1024, it's wildly jumping across the 20-75 FPS range, even if I sit around doing nothing, but the real framerate feels pretty constant (and closer to the lower end of that)...

I'm still not 100% sure why it does that sometimes. It clearly works properly under normal circumstances, but I've noticed that background tasks can sometime cause it to fluctuate wildly. It could have to do with the way it's reading the framerate, as it reads the time taken per cycle and produces an average based on the number of frames that have passed, rather than the amount of time that has passed. I'll make a note to improve it. ;)

VileRancour wrote:

You should probably mention that the MSVC 2010 redistributable package is also required (otherwise it complains about a missing/invalid msvcr100.dll).

Wasn't sure about this so I was waiting for someone to point it out to know for certain. Thanks! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg