VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking for wish lists items, bug reports, and ideas for the next release of mTCP.

The current version is about six months old now. I haven't had too many bug reports so there has not been a great need to update it. That is also the release that FreeDOS 1.1 chose to use, so it has seen quite a wide distribution. (Close to 1,000 downloads were recorded at the hosting site, and that doesn't count the FreeDOS users.)

The following things are going into the next release already:

• Xmodem and Ymodem file transfers through Telnet
    Misc telnet fixes (new line handling, telnet binary mode, etc.)
    Reduced FTP server memory utilization (30 to 40kb)
    A minor PING fix (the outgoing packet length was too long)
    Additional documentation: a detailed guide to using PPP over serial (including setting up the Linux gateway)

Here is what might happen depending on how much effort I can put in:

• A first pass at a Gopher client. (Started, but not usable yet)
    LPR (remote printing to network printers using Unix/Linux LPR queues)
    A "setup" style program for configuring the mTCP configuration file
    A diagnostics program to look for packet drivers in memory and report their details (Started)
    Library routines and a sample program to send email using SMTP
    TCP library - implement Karne's algorithm for timeout and retransmitting packets

If you have an idea let me know. I can't get to everything, but if the idea is good it will definitely get priority. Small tweaks to the existing code are always possible to.

-Mike

PS: PCjr owners (real ones!) - we have an IDE hard drive solution for your machine! PM or email me for details.

Reply 1 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not really an idea, but can you add to the ftp server to not have a timeout for iddle connections? IIRC the largest value is 1500?
I like the setup/diagnostics ideas, they will make the package look more professional 😀
Can't wait for the next version! I can't believe how I was managing without mTCP (not to mention the time spent to make a usb-dos stack to work with crawling speed 🤣) , keep it up mbbrutman !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 4, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Increasing the timeout for idle connections is trivial, but I don't ever want to make it unlimited. Right now I think it is 30 minutes - I'll bump it up to a few hours.

(As an aside, in case anybody questions how this is relevant to DOSBox - it works in DOSBox, and I do most of my testing in DOSBox. The Hal-9000 megabuilds with the NE2000 support are required.)

Mike

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes a few hours would be perfect, sometimes I just leave the DOS pcs waiting and do transfers with huge delays between them... not that reconnecting is a problem as it's done automatically but yeah a few hours will be awesome 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And it's out there! Download the latest from http://code.google.com/p/mtcp/ .

Here are the major changes:

• Power awareness for virtual machines and laptops
  • IRCjr fixes to improve compatibility with more servers
  • "Howto" style documentation for setting up SLIP and PPP with mTCP
  • FTPSrv requires significantly less RAM
  • FTPSrv can be made to exclude certain drive letters
  • Telnet now supports Xmodem and Ymodem uploads and downloads
  • More newline handling fixes for Telnet (I think I got it right this time!)
  • The FTP client will send files much faster now - 10 to 34% has been measured

Have fun,
Mike