VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a bunch of ancient systems that I've brought home during bulk trash pickup. In fact just the other day I grabbed a Pentium 160 with a whopping 1.6GB drive and a Trident video card. It doesn't boot and some of the front panel connections have been disconnected. The only reason I even know what speed it is, is because the BIOS listed it.

I really have no interest in restoring most of these systems and they're too old to donate. Nobody else I know wants them. If it won't run XP, most people today consider it junk.

I was going to ask on here if anyone wanted any of them, but I see that's not allowed.

Frankly, I'm not looking to go through a lot of trouble to get rid of them. It's not like I want to register on a new site, post an ad, wait for responses, etc. Not to mention that it would probably cost more to ship them than they'd be worth. However it would be nice if they could go to someone who'd appreciate them.

I could just put them out on the curb and they'd be gone in an hour or less, but I figured I'd ask on here first before chucking them.

Ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rekrul wrote:

I have a bunch of ancient systems that I've brought home during bulk trash pickup.

I guess you're going to stop doing that, then? 😉

What part of the world are you in?

Reply 2 of 2, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're in the US you could list them on your local Craigslist; you'd still have to wait for responses of course, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about shipping them out. I think Kijiji is a similar deal (I've never used it). I've also heard about a site called Freecycle, but I've never signed up. Those would probably be your best bets for getting them into the hands of someone who would appreciate them.

I'd happily take systems like that if someone offered them up in my area, so with any luck there'll be similar enthusiasts in your area who will gladly take them off your hands.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.