VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The original developer of Carmageddon 1 & 2 is making a new game in the series and they have launched a kickstarter. I'm very excited about this one and have ofc backed it 😀

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainless … n-reincarnation

Reply 1 of 13, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

everyone and their mom is doing a kickstarter nowadays. based on what they say in the pledge options it seems to me they're looking more to make you pay as much money as possible by promising big things to make you look cool rather than focusing on making a good game. i think its going to suck

Reply 2 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's called "incentive" and I absolutely do not think it's going to suck - they've been working on this game for almost a year now, and sending a few signed goodies or throwing a release party aren't exactly mammoth tasks that would hog all development time. Really looking forward to this, seems very promising (unlike TDR2000 or whatever that awful, awful non-Stainless title was called).

kinda sucks that I'll apparently need to have Steam to claim my copy... that's really my only problem with it.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 13, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sepultribe wrote:

everyone and their mom is doing a kickstarter nowadays. based on what they say in the pledge options it seems to me they're looking more to make you pay as much money as possible by promising big things to make you look cool rather than focusing on making a good game. i think its going to suck

I coundn't agree with you more, except for the "it's going to suck part."
Carmageddon 1 and 2 are some of my fav games and I hope this is going to be even better. But Stainless is pretty cocky with creating hype imo, which can backfire indeed if they cannot meet the expectations.

Last edited by Procyon on 2012-05-10, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they don't even need to focus that hard in order to make a good game here - all the magic ingredients are already there in Carma1... I'd be perfectly fine with it if they simply take that basic gameplay and enhance it with modern graphics, networking etc.

Reply 5 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want it to not suck but the Carmageddon franchise had problems with that...

BTW, I'd like a kickstart for a new Crusader game. 😀 That 2006 attempt should have held off.

Reply 6 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd get it, but can they meet the ~$250K needed in one more month? If they fall short, what happens to all the invested cash? That worries me...

I stuck by Duke Nukem Forever and Pier Solar, so maybe I should make that leap of faith.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmrydholm wrote:

If they fall short, what happens to all the invested cash? That worries me...

it's a pledge, not an immediate payment - nobody is charged if the goal is not met.

Reply 8 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ahh, I gotcha. I really hope it does, Carmageddon is a great franchise. I've always loved the "car combat" genre, Twisted Metal, even the original Warhawk, although that was a plane/jet thing...always reminded me of the Captain Power show.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 9 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, which one of you pledged over 10,000???

I can't wrap my head around a kickstarter. You think getting backers shouldn't be such a problem without these things.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 13, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately game developers don't seem to be willing to back anything controversial, and rarely fund anything that isn't a copy of whatever is making millions currently. Crowd funding at least offers the possibility that some of the games we have been wishing for all these years can resurface. I hope that everyone that is a Carmageddon fan will try to spread the word about this Kickstarter campaign, and pledge at least $15 to get yourself a copy of the game when it is released. I'm not sure they will reach their funding goal, in which case it costs me nothing, but I really would appreciate another Carmageddon game from the original team. I am truly hoping that they will get the funding they need, as it seems that they are intent on trying to recapture the magic of the original.

Cheers

Reply 11 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ooh, check out update #8 - a non-Steam, non-DRM PC version could be an option... sweet!

though I'm not sure why the ETA is 10 months behind the DRM version (and "subject to change")...

Reply 13 of 13, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crash. wrote:

Unfortunately game developers don't seem to be willing to back anything controversial, and rarely fund anything that isn't a copy of whatever is making millions currently. Crowd funding at least offers the possibility that some of the games we have been wishing for all these years can resurface. I hope that everyone that is a Carmageddon fan will try to spread the word about this Kickstarter campaign, and pledge at least $15 to get yourself a copy of the game when it is released. I'm not sure they will reach their funding goal, in which case it costs me nothing, but I really would appreciate another Carmageddon game from the original team. I am truly hoping that they will get the funding they need, as it seems that they are intent on trying to recapture the magic of the original.

Cheers

Don't use the term "game developers" it is publishers who are doing what you are saying and and they are hurting game developers.