VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was something we found on a shareware compilation CD back in the late '90s, and I've never been able to remember the title. It was a side-scrolling helicopter shooter (I'm pretty sure it was free-roaming horizontally, ala Defender) set in an urban environment; I can't remember if the chopper was named, but I'm pretty sure it was an AH-64 Apache. It was very arcadey, nothing like a flight simulator. I think it may have had a rescue element like Choplifter, but if it did it was rather secondary.

The thing that immediately sticks out in my mind technologically is that the helicopter sprite was quite large, probably 64x64 on a 320x200 screen. I know it was VGA, and by what I remember of the graphics I'd say it was mid-to-late '90s vintage, probably no later than '97 (when we got the computer.)

Anybody have any idea what this game was? I've been itching to play it again for years.

Reply 9 of 20, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean this Cobra Command? Doesn't seem there even was a PC version. Doesn't seem to have been a DOS Airwolf game either. It's not Seek & Destroy. It's also not this Thunder Strike; is there another game by that title?

Reply 10 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be JetStrike.
Mobygames doesn't have everything - they focus more on commercial titles and miss out on a lot of the shareware-age shareware. This might require some digging into the actual shovelwares, but seeing that you said 1997, and shovelware usually only go as far recent as 1995, this could be tough to find

Could it be Operation Vulture 3: Cyber Chopper?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 20, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know that it was '97, that's just what I'd guess the latest it could've been was. From what I remember I'd put it at anywhere from '93-'96. It's a good point about MobyGames, though.

I don't think it was Jetstrike, though.

Reply 13 of 20, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That game has some interesting support for sound cards. PAS and PAS16 and Stereo DAC on serial or parallel port. I guess this is Covox?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqO_TjA7W0

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel