l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU&fe … =endscreen&NR=1

😜 😁

Reply 2 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surely the generation growing up with Pac Man or Space Invaders thought the same about Doom and being able to quick save 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Surely the generation growing up with Pac Man or Space Invaders thought the same about Doom and being able to quick save 🤣

Pac Man or Space Invaders?
Dark Forces was released later than Doom and had no saving!

Reply 8 of 21, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Old and pretentious rocket jumper lamer promotion video

I don't see that. His point was that games these days create beautiful, immersive looking worlds full of wonderous textures and physics, then chop off your legs and put you in a cart with a narrator explaining the journey, and you can not die.

The player at the end of the video ripping Quake apart might be top tier skill, but the fact is the game LET you become as good as you wanted. It had total, utter freedom. It was just as amazing looking as todays games, if not more so (for 1996) but it was also pure. Raw even.

I think it's an amazingly important video, as far as putting across his point. But it also makes me sad. I hear the old argument from younger generations of - Yeah but old people ALWAYS say things were better back in the day. Well I'm afraid they are right, a lot of old people say that. But in the case of PC gaming ... and gaming in general ... sadly, it's fucking true.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 10 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 🤣

"New kids" to gaming wouldn't understand what that video is all about!

But yeah, rocket-jumpin' is just one of the movement skills, and it can't really complement the first half of that video and doesn't answer the hand-guided walkthrough of modern games the poster emphasized in the beginning.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 21, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... And this is why I've stopped playing. I enjoy being able to freely roam around and doing whatever I like without constantly being nagged. Or be treated to a lame cutscene every couple of steps.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 13 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

... And this is why I've stopped playing. I enjoy being able to freely roam around and doing whatever I like without constantly being nagged. Or be treated to a lame cutscene every couple of steps.

Have you tried Grand Theft Auto III/4, Assassin's Creed?

Reply 14 of 21, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the same thing. Those are sandbox games. There are no "levels" in the traditional sense.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 15 of 21, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assassin's Creed is basically a compilation of cutscenes. All interesting parts happen in cutscenes. Everything inbetween cutscenes is repetitive and boring. Even combat is boring; the game automatically locks on to the target and every click triggers a short cutscene where your character hits the enemy. I played about half of the first game when I realized I was doing the same things over and over again, while nothing really interesting happened.

Some days ago I was watching my sister play AC 3 (or brotherhood or something). She just finished a quest and got a new objective: 'Find the secret door'. A cutscene followed showing the location of this 'secret' door that didn't look so secret after all.. It was just any ordinary door, only this door was flashing like a fire truck light. That's where I couldn't stop laughing 🤣

Reply 16 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first AC was indeed repetitive, but it changed in next parts.
Don't worry there are real secrets on every level in this game too. 😀
And to find them you don't have to slide along all walls with spacebar being pressed 😉

Reply 17 of 21, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Have you tried Grand Theft Auto III/4, Assassin's Creed?

Haven't played Assassin's Creed but I did thoroughly enjoy the 3D GTA games, despite being bug-ridden. Yes you obviously still have to complete tasks in order to "complete" the game but the degree of freedom in those games is tremendous. My point is though, is that there aren't very many games nowadays that just let you play without constantly telling you what to do first. But either way, I'm not that easily amused anymore by modern gaming. 😀

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 18 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Modern games suck for the most part. They focus too much on cutscenes and graphics and hype and celebrity voice acting and other bullshit like that, when really they should be focusing on immersion and great gameplay, like games used to. A lot of people my age don't really get why I prefer older games, but this is exactly the reason. 🤣 Also, I can't stand microtransactions, "pay-to-win", or non-free DLC.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2012-06-29, 06:23. Edited 1 time in total.