Common searches

Games to play from 2000-2004?

Topic actions

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These were the years I ducked out of gaming in general due to school and such. What are some games I may have missed. I've tracked down a few I will and have played.

Some of the ones I already found:
in que
NOLF series
Cold Fear
The Thing
PSI-OPS The Mindgate conspiracy
Devestation
Evil Twin
Robocop
Dino Crisis 1+2
From Dusk Till Dawn
Land of the Dead: Fiddlers Green?
Gunman Chronicles

beat
NFS U 1 + 2
Beyond Good and Evil

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 1 of 24, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

QUAKE 3
unreal tournament
Deus ex
diablo 2
doom 3

Just to name a few. Seriously 2000 was the the year of quake 3.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 24, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off the top of my head, and which haven't already been listed: Deus Ex, MoHAA and the various expansions, CoD and the various expansions, HL2, Red Faction and RFII, Serious Sam, Civ3, Halo, Oni, Myth III, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Rune, Icewind Dale, Black and White, Rune, BF 1942, Morrowind, Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations, KOTOR, Jedi Academy, Neverwinter Nights, Far Cry (IMO the game is boring as shit, but it's pretty to look at), Thief: Deadly Shadows, Rome: Total War, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, The Sims...

I'll have to think, I could probably list off a couple dozen more, but the problem is that I still consider most of these to be new-ish games so it's kinda hard for me to remember when some of this stuff was released. But this much should keep you busy for awhile, anyway.

Edit: Oops, I guess Deus Ex was mentioned already. I read luckybob's post but for some reason* my mind didn't process it the first time through.

*probably the whiskey

Last edited by Old Thrashbarg on 2012-05-21, 03:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 24, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As mentioned above, there were quite a few Quake (2|3) engine games released in this timeframe. A few that I enjoyed and might have been forgotten where:

Heretic 2
Heavy Metal FAKK2
Kingpin: Life of Crime

Edit: Check this list for more.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 11 of 24, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

What is Evil Twin? Mobygames doesn't list it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Twin:_Cypri … %27s_Chronicles

It looks intresting.

Thanks all. Keep'em coming! Actually a few of those escaped my memory and played or own. Mostly the ones that where pretty popular like quake 3, max payne, alice, unreal 2. I'm guessing it was closer to 2001 when I let things go.

Maybe I'm just down to the more obscure ones now...

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 13 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unreal Tournament 2004's a must get just for the wide variety of TCs and addons. There's still some cranking out more for it (including myself). Ballistic Weapons helps gets it up to a more modern feel (though it's ram heavy)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tron 2.0

The combat could be better but it has some out-there visuals that will still wow you a bit today, and it has interesting gameplay. I remember reading that NVIDIA developed the glow effect.

F2bnp wrote:

Unreal 2 is kinda nice, but I really hated the insta-aim AI.

Yeah. But I could rattle off a long list of shooters from back then with insta-aim. Developing AI that doesn't piss off the player is challenging I think.

Chaser and Chrome also have insta-aim. AVP2's aliens are so damn fast that it's ridiculous. In the dark with aliens so fast you can't get a bead on them unless you know exactly where they will be coming from.

Reply 15 of 24, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of my personal favorites:
Messiah
Sacrifice
Unreal Tournament
Heavy Metal: FAKK 2
Gore: Ultimate Soldier
X-Wing Collection (X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance all on one disc)
Klingon Academy
Star Trek: New Worlds
Command and Conquer Generals
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 16 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just me or that the games between 2000-2005 can't compare to the ones between 1995-1999? Ofc there are many good games released in these years, but I feel the late nineties had way more classics people remember.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 19 of 24, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Independence War 2, if you like openworld (or rather openspace) spacesimulators.
Though it has a few bugs it still is the best game in its genre I have played and is still modded if you want to extend playing it.
Strangely most people don't like this game, I think it is because it isn't your typical Wing Commander/Freespace spaceshooter and combat requires some experience and tactical thinking beforehand.
But after this I found it almost impossible to go back to games like X-Wing/Wing Commander/Freespace.
It's really cheap on GOG when there is a sale.