VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.

Any one the story behind this?

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wasn't aware of the fact that we left Web 1.0 behind some years ago and suddenly switched to Web 2.0. 🤣

Ah well. There are plenty of alternatives to Fileplanet. I've always preferred to avoid them, especially during their wait time / pay premium days.

Reply 3 of 7, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like FilePlanet because they have patches on one convenient site and I think there is still a strong need for them.

A lot of things have changed over the last decade

Yet people still buy games that are a decade, or more, old. A lot of official sites for games are no longer around. In some cases neither are the companies that made them. Even though "content delivery is much more integrated now" that content will also pass into obscurity with time. When that happens there needs to be a standalone site where it can still be found.

I'm also not thrilled with the idea of integrated content delivery itself. First, it mean that content will pass into obscurity more easily and quickly. Second, it becomes harder to find a patch that can be downloaded and stored separately for future use.

The closing of FilePlanet is another symptom of gaming becoming less user friendly. The current trend is for games to update themselves automatically. I think this is a misstep by games developers. It takes control away from the player who might want to play a quick session instead of waiting for updates to download at that time. I'm worried that in the next decade those updates will be lost entirely without an off-line method for applying patches.

Reply 5 of 7, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the past 2 years I've going through my collection of Windows 95/98/XP games. Installing each of them, noting what version I have, and downloading patches. Occasionally I get distracted and actually play them. I have 2 letters of the alphabet left to go and most Fileplanet pages produce an IGN error page.

Is there a way to actually use the archive and search for the files I need?

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't Patches Scrolls superior as far as patches go? (If only there was a properly comprehensive site with nice listings of every game with all its various patches and known fixes.)

By the way, did Forumplanet go down? It's kind of sad to see it go; I wasted a lot of time there ten years ago. But its time has definitely passed.

Reply 7 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Isn't Patches Scrolls superior as far as patches go?

I'd like to think so, but it always had poor navigation.
When it was alive, my favorite go for patches was 3dgamers.com. Then IGN did the usual acquire/"migrate to fileplanet"/destroy

apsosig.png
long live PCem