VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah!

I've been wanting to purchase a Geforce 6200 PCI for about 3 or 4 months now and I search every morning and night to see if a new one pops up on ebay, Ive bid on 2 but they went over what I think is fair value, in saying that I was the 2nd highest bidder in both cases.

The annoying thing? They are about 53 for sale on ebay, I reckon the card is worth about $20-$25 delivered at most considering the supply and lack of purpose/value the card offers (Really a useless card unless you want a fast windows 98 card on a machine that lacks PCI slots).

Trying to hold out against these ebay sellers but its hard, I have the cash but it would justify their business practices If I caved in and purchased, anyone else finding the same thing?

Reply 1 of 4, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I waited a long time to get my 6200 PCI card for a reasonable price. You just have to be patient and keep watching for deals and jump on them before someone else does. I think i paid $15 shipped for mine, IIRC.

Oh, 512mb cards probably aren't worth paying a lot of extra money for. 256mb should be enough for most games from that time period. Paying twice as much for a brand new 512mb card isn't going to provide much benefit, if any, in a vintage rig playing period games that will never need that much video memory. 6800 Ultra cards from that time only shipped with 256mb so it should be more than enough for a 6200.

Reply 4 of 4, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Oh, 512mb cards probably aren't worth paying a lot of extra money for. 256mb should be enough for most games from that time period. Paying twice as much for a brand new 512mb card isn't going to provide much benefit, if any, in a vintage rig playing period games that will never need that much video memory. 6800 Ultra cards from that time only shipped with 256mb so it should be more than enough for a 6200.

Not to mention that win98 doesn't like(work) that much memory on a graphics card... 😳

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/151103-pny-ge … -512mb-problem/