VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still enjoy playing Need for Speed 2 - Special Edition. I usually pick the McLaren as my car, and also as my opponents. I can easily get first place on every single track except Monolithic Studios. Seriously, unless I truly screw up, I haven't come in at any place less than first since I started playing the game.

However I've only ever been able to beat the MS track a couple of times. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get second place. At the start of the race, the other cars get an early lead and I have trouble catching them. Usually, after cresting the hill in the futuristic city part, I go flying past the lead cars. Then I either have to hit the brakes for the curve, or I end up scraping the wall. Either way I slow down and the next 3-4 computer cars go flying by me. Even if I somehow manage to maintain my lead, as soon as I go into the country area with the dinosaur and flying saucers, the second I slow down for a curve, the computer cars go sailing past me like I was standing still.

It's not sour grapes that I can't beat this track, it's that the computer cars seem several degrees harder to beat than they do on any other track. With any of the other tracks, I can crash into things, go flying off the track, end up headed the wrong way, etc, and unless it's near the end of the last lap, I'm still pretty much guaranteed to win. It's not even hard. I can easily catch the other cars and then maintain a lead. With the Monolithic Studios track, if I make even the tiniest mistake, I end up in last place.

Does this happen to anyone else, or just me?

Reply 1 of 3, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to Need for Speed!

These titles are acclaimed for the rubberband oppenents. I did not realize it was all the way back in NFS2 though.

Best thing to do is try the other cars. Another cars driving style may work better for you. Stay away from walls obviously.

I've been annoyed to no end in NFS: Undercover with the AI 🙁

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 3, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I recall the Monolithic track is a bonustrack, so maybe the AI wasn't thoroughly playtested and tweaked.
Recently I played NFS 4, but racing with rain or snow ruined a perfectly good game for me.
On some tracks you have to take hairpins, which means in that game that I have to get out of the car and tilt it around to corner, totally ridiculous. 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

Does this happen to anyone else, or just me?

Hahaha! No, it's not just you.

The AI is incredibly overpowered on this track.
I remember trying to win a Knockout mode. Always finished second (Monolithic stage is the last one).

FZR2000 should be allowed in non-single race modes. 🤣 🤣