VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will this be good? What do you think?

Release to be announced somewhere in 2013.

Elder Scrolls Online E3 2012 Stage Demo

Reply 1 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I reserve my judgement for release time 😉
Especially online stuff has the tendency to become something else or vanish 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a fan of MMOs so regardless of whether it rocks or sucks I doubt I'll be playing it. :P

Personally though, I don't think mutliplayer is the right way to take the series, especially if it's not going to play like the other TES games. I understand why they want to make it though and I don't doubt that many thousands upon thousands of people will want to play it, I just don't want to see their efforts with this game change the way the next numbered TES game plays, lest we never again get a first-person single-player experience out of the TES series. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's alot of idiots out there clamoring for an Elder Scrolls MMO so Bethesda would have to be retarded not to try to get some of that $$$$.

From what I've heard the MMO is supposedly not going to affect the single-player series......of course we all know how that goes.

I don't play online anyway (too much singleplayer backlog,I hate people and I like to be able to replay games years down the road).
However optional co-op would be nice to have.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

"I hate people" 😉

But I agree with all you wrote and can add that I git badly burnt by Ultima Online over a decade ago... After three months of wasting on this I quit and decided to never play such a thing again 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I agree with all of you. I don't like MMO either. But I think it's a good idea for developers to get some extra cash... 😁

The problem with that is developers end up becoming too focused on the online component and the single player game suffers. It is going to reach a point where games won't even have a single player storyline anymore, just online fragging and once it gets to that point, how do games distinguish themselves from each other anymore? One online fragfest is just as good as the next.

Reply 7 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wasted too much time on World of Warcraft, so I won't let myself play MMO's any more. It's just not fun having to play on someone else's schedule.

Now I play single-player games and pause whenever I want 😜

The good news is that I got so far behind on single-player games that I can sit back and wait for $5 sales 😀

Reply 8 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old Morrowind was the best game of the series, I doubt Bethesda can ever make a better TES.

Oblivion was less hardcore and had level-dependant bot-generated world, that was interesting in some key areas and dumb in all other places. Although Shivering Isles rocked!))

Skyrim was interesting for a day or two, but than it became much like Oblivion, only even less hardcore. I'm not waiting for anything anymore. Don't want to waste time on another casual game.

Reply 9 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's funny how everyone judges the entire series against Morrowind. It's good but it hasn't aged as well as some games. It's also much different from the first two games in the series, and much more similar to its sequels.

Reply 10 of 19, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

The problem with that is developers end up becoming too focused on the online component and the single player game suffers. It is going to reach a point where games won't even have a single player storyline anymore, just online fragging and once it gets to that point, how do games distinguish themselves from each other anymore? One online fragfest is just as good as the next.

That's exactly what people were saying back in 1999 with UT, Quake3 etc., and here we are 13 years later. Trends come and go.

As someone with zero interest in the big-name titles these days I personally couldn't care less.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Morrowind has aged very well thank you.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth
http://morrowindoverhaul.rpgitalia.net/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed, morrowind really was the apex of the series. Neither skyrim or oblivion were as engaging or enjoyable as morrowind.

This is the mod guide I used http://www.somethingfornobody.com/2011/morrow … -modding-guide/

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find I like Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim equally, for various different reasons but what it essentially comes down to for me is that Morrowind is the least immersive but the most dynamic, while Skyrim is the most immersive but the least dynamic, and Oblivion is somewhere in between.

By "dynamic" I mean in terms of what you can do in the game. Morrowind has a lot more stats and a lot more options for making spells and enchantments and such, while Skyrim has the fewest of those options, and Oblivion is somewhere in the middle.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 15 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the TES games for different reasons.

I will never worship Morrowind though, if only because the UI is painfully horrid. I really wish someone would figure out how to mod that - especially the alchemy UI.

Reply 16 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed UI-wise, Skyrim is okay. I must confess I never finished the two chapters in the Elder Scrolls series (Arena and Daggerfall).

I liked Morrowind and I liked Oblivion and Skyrim too. I think change is good and inevitable.

Reply 18 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Agreed UI-wise, Skyrim is okay. I must confess I never finished the two chapters in the Elder Scrolls series (Arena and Daggerfall).

I liked Morrowind and I liked Oblivion and Skyrim too. I think change is good and inevitable.

I played Arena and Daggerfall a ton back in the day, but never finished them until the last year or so.

Reply 19 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really enjoyed both Daggerfall and Morrowind. Morrowind was actually the last PC game I ever got into. I was impressed with Morrowind at the time, because it greatly exceeded my very low expectations. At the time I was pleased Bethesda still hadn't sold out to the mainstream idiots. I've never bothered to try Elderscrolls 4 or 5, because I figure that my system is probably too slow to run them.

I totally agree that going multiplayer is going to run Elderscrolls though. Quite frankly I'm surprised they didn't do it years ago.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium