VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

//UPDATE:

Scroll down for a first hands-on review of this card!

Original Post:

Well I just purchased a bundle of old Soundcards.

One of them is an WS32 Soundcard from Oksori, bundled with an attached 4MB daughterboard (dream 9233/8905, 4MB ROM).

oksori_ws32_with_4m_module_b_d_dream_sam9233_sam8905-600x263.jpg

More and high-res pictures at:

http://www.amoretro.de/2012/06/oksori-ws32-so … ghterboard.html

I'm desperately looking for the DOS/Windows drivers for the card but i cannot find them.

Does anybody understand korean and is able to lookup some information regarding the drivers?

Thank you in advance and best regards from
Fabian

Last edited by FGB on 2012-06-18, 11:10. Edited 4 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 1 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here
http://www.drivernara.net/spboard/board.cgi?i … age=33&go_cnt=2
looks like you have to sign up to download, so you need a korean speaker to understand the webpage

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 16, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thank you for your advice.

I've seen this driver website beforce but the problem is that the google translator just refuses to translate the registration / signup progress. so i just don't know where to fill in my data. these signs are unreadable to me

😕

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 16, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately you cannot sign up for an account because it requires a Korean citizen's identification number (주민번호). This is the case with many Korean websites. You could try sending them an e-mail asking if there is another way to download the file. Maybe they could e-mail it to you. It seems that some people working on that site probably speak English.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 4 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you end up getting the driver, send it on to me, and I'll put it on the VogonsDrivers site! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turns out it's fairly easy to generate one of those Korean ID numbers, they're not verified against any central database, just a simple checksum.

Enjoy the driver! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    W32s-9x.zip
    File size
    235.84 KiB
    Downloads
    340 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Turns out it's fairly easy to generate one of those Korean ID numbers, they're not verified against any central database, just a simple checksum.

😳

Would you mind sharing the trick?

Reply 8 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Obviously it would be a bad idea to use one of these generated numbers for anything serious, but if all you want is to get registered for a silly file download site, there's a little piece of software floating around to generate IDs. It can do Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Korea:

http://www.2shared.com/file/BINfyn5v/idcardgen.html

The program itself is in Korean, but there's only a few buttons, so it was easy enough to stumble through:

1. Set the type of number you want on the drop list:
6wmkG.png

2. Click the little "paragraph mark" button to set the gender and birthday
tMUr9.png

3. Click the bigger button next to the "paragraph mark" button to generate the number.
8TW5Q.png

The algorithm is simple, too:

YYMMDDGxxxxSC

YYMMDD = Birthday in year month day format.
G = Gender. 1 for Male, 2 for Female
xxxx = location ID
S = Sequence number
C = Check digit

Calculation of the check digit is about the limit of what these kinds of sites will do. Obviously the above mustn't be used for any kind of identity theft activity. It won't get you a person's Korean ID number, just one that will pass rudementary checks.

Reply 9 of 16, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all very much for your help. I really appreciate it. My main goal, to find the DOS driver, still remains...

Hater Depot, do you know why these websites require the "citizens ID"? Is there some thing like internet tracking of every citizen in Korea? Looks kinda strange to me. Even stranger when I learn how easy you can bypass this (with the fake IDs..)

I was able to download the oksori.zip archive on the paran.com website jwt27 mentioned (thank you for this!) a few days ago but unfortunately it doesn't contain the DOS driver.

SquallStrife, thank you for the driver! As it is again Windows-only could you be so nice and download the DOS driver(s) as well ?

It's name is: (OKSORI) WS32M/MEF DOS, WIN9X

Located here: http://www.drivernara.net/spboard/board.cgi?i … age=33&go_cnt=3

Or maybe this is the pure DOS driver,

located here: http://www.drivernara.net/spboard/board.cgi?i … age=33&go_cnt=4

This would be so great! Thank you in advance,
Fabian

Reply 10 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's one of the files, but you can't attach LZH files to posts here, so I'll put it on VogonsDrivers.

Edit: Here ya go! http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=349

Attachments

• Filename
    OKSORI_CDROM.rar
    File size
    78.81 KiB
    Downloads
    341 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 16, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SquallStrife, thank you so much for your effort. If I had two of the WS32 cards I would give you one for sure!

The disk contains a lot of tools (all in English language), including a super easy and straight forward configuration tool for a resource-management (hex adresses, irq, interface control, etc..) as well as very interesting programs to fine-tune the effect-processor of this card (dream SAM8905) and finally a graphical mixer interface with a routing map where you can program the volumes as well as the direction of a sound source (OUT or IN). There is even a global echo which can be deactivated.

Also very funny: A karaoke-program in Korean with circa 10 sample songs.. really funny.

There is also a tool called "okmode" where you can set all the soundcards MIDI modes. Set the wavetable to GS or MT-32 mode, for example. All very easy to configure. I think this card has also an intelligent MPU-401 interface because you can switch the external midi connector from "normal" to "uart" mode.. but i did not try it out because i don't own a mt32 (shame on me, I know 😉 ).

oksori_ws32_4m_module_b_d_4mb_wavetable_daughterboard_dream_sam9233_sam8905-300x225.jpg

The "ectset" tool for the effect-processor is also very very useful and also the very only tool for the SAM8905 I know (the Maestro 32/96 for example does also have the SAM8905 but doesn't allow the user to finetune the reverb and chorus effects and as a result the Maestro 32/96 tends to be a bit an the "dry" side compared with the MIDI-Sound on an original Roland module like SCD-7).

In detail you can apply the following settings and set the effect strength form 0 to 15 in each effect:

Reverb:

Room1
Room2
Room3
Hall 1
Hall 2
Plate
Delay
Panning Delay

Chorus:

Chorus 1
Chorus 2
Chorus 3
Chorus 4
Feedback Chorus
Flanger
Short Delay
Short Delay Fall Back

If you set any Reverb and Chorus mode the values are stored in the EPROM of the card.

You can even apply the reverb settings to the FM chip of this card (OPL3 compatible) BUT .. in general the FM chip doesn't sound so good. It sounds quite different from the original Yamaha one (at least in doom).

But the Midi sounds really really great. Undoubtly there is the Roland Sound Canvas Soundfont in the ROM Chips, just like suspected. It also sounds very vivid and very punchy if you fine tune the effects and give the chorus a bit more juice.

But that's not all. I accidently booted from a floppy disk with no autoexec.bat and started doom. The card plays out of the box!
Not init required for General MIDI Wavetable and SoundBlaster digital sound. Just nothing!

I really like the card for that. So when you have the chance to get the Oksori WS32 with the daughterboard attached - do so!

You won't regret it as you get the original Roland Sound Canvas Soundfont and a tool to program the Effect Processor just for your preferences / needs. I think the potential of this card is really unknown in the US and also here in Europe as it is a card targeted on the asian market only. But this doesn't prevent it from being awesome!

Cheers,
Fabian

Reply 12 of 16, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:

Hater Depot, do you know why these websites require the "citizens ID"? Is there some thing like internet tracking of every citizen in Korea? Looks kinda strange to me. Even stranger when I learn how easy you can bypass this (with the fake IDs..)

I am not 100% sure. I assume it is to prevent identity theft and the like. Korean websites are often subject to government regulations requiring them to use particular software which is often badly outdated, and typically only works well with Internet Explorer.

Reply 13 of 16, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, that is interesting. but pretty useless if the citizens ID is not checked versus a central database or something. and i really don't understand why this should be nescessary on a website for device drivers.. really strange..

Reply 14 of 16, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello. I'm korean, and I have OKSORI WS32 MEF and MM cards and drivers for MM.
I have 3 diskeet images of DOS Drivers.

this is not my pics.

http://blogfiles9.naver.net/data25/2008/8/18/ … 673_spc9999.jpg

these are first WS32 MEF's softwares. I have only drivers. links is below.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=26995f18f31afb … 8F31AFBE0%21118 (need winimage. until July I link it)

sam9223 emulates FM, so FM sounds are not good as ymf262 do. But wish DOSBOX will support emulates WS32 MEF's MIDI and SAM9233's FM "emulation".
it is strange Maestro 32/96 has both 9233+8905 but not support MIDI effects.(8905 should do effects) It was wise not to import Maestro because even AWE32 costs $50 more but MIDI sound could't compare with WS32 so didnt successfully sold in Korea.

Some Japan DOS/V games before ws32 have problem with ws32's OPL2/3 emulation. the fm volume get "0" when running those games. This is game's bug not WS32. Use "mixset" to restore fm volumes. (Newer games sometimes fixed the problem)

cf) japgame.bat
silv (or ai5v) -----> TSR fm driver, this make ws32's fm volumes "0"
mixset --------> restore volumes, must run between TSR fm driver and game execute.
play5v x start.mes -------> games run
silv ----------> TSR removed.

In early 2000, these card cost just $5, because company bankrupted and this card did not supports windows 95 above(it just sounds). But any other later soundcards midi modules are cannot excced ws32(maybe price issue) and nowaday this antique sold with quite high price by old dos game players in Korea.

There is no sam9233 even in MAME supports game lists. When will ws32's life begins in DOSBOX? (Im not asking.)

Reply 15 of 16, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
thanks for the disk images, I'm loading them right now.
Well SAM9233 has no FM part, but SAM8905 does. However, FM doesn't come from the SAM8905 but from one of the Oksori chips of the WS32 card. The SAM8905 FM sounds much much better and closer to the real OPL.

I think you misunderstood when I wrote about the Maestro 32/96. Of course it has effects. But the user cannot change the Reverb and Chorus. The default built-in effect settings are just weaker than on the original Roland module but still present.

So the Oksori sounds better then the Maestro 32/96 when you raise the Delay and Chorus a bit. It's much closer to the original Roland, almost indistinguishable.

Can you tell me how to install the WS32 under Windows 95 ?

Thank you,
Fabian

Reply 16 of 16, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm... Can you see the manual page 25? It says sam9233 "emulates" FM and sounds a bit strange when playing OPL3 . Whole WS32 do not have sam8905. Only WS32MEF has 8905.MEF means Midi Effect and Fonts, MM(F) is Midi Modules (and Fonts) and MI is Midi Interface )

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=spc … &logNo=54962923 (not my pics)

In windows 95, Oksori is just WSS(or sb pro, dont turn on sb compatible option when you using WSS, WSS address is 604 in default jumpers)+Mpu401. There is a win95 drivers of ws32 but nothing different.
I heard Dream's sam9233 and 8905 have never released win9x drivers. Oksori, the Hardware developers dont have technology about windows drivers. The company Oksori sold out the name of Oksori to "Hansol". Hansol released MEF2 same as MEF.(no daughter board MEF). Developers of oksori re-established company named "Hoontech", maybe well known in Germany. But most Hoontech soundcards using yamaha chips for windows compatiblity. Once sam9407 used their cards but sound was not good as ws32 did, and even PCI card cannot use in Windows XP.

(Another story) Chief of Oksori and Hoontech died in 2009,by leukemia. He didnt do soundcard enterprise early 2000.
http://blog.naver.com/utopia_11?Redirect=Log& … gNo=70094756737