Common searches

The ultimate Ultima 7 machine

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 166, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand UMBPCI is generally the preferred means of satisfying U7's requirements for no expanded memory manager while still allowing devices to be loaded high.

Reply 61 of 166, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I understand UMBPCI is generally the preferred means of satisfying U7's requirements for no expanded memory manager while still allowing devices to be loaded high.

I thought that didn't work on 486 systems?

Reply 63 of 166, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, apperently I cant use a memory manager like Hiram because my chipset is not supported. I'm using a spare Packard Bell for this project and it uses some wierd ACC Micro chipset. anyways I was able to have room for smartdv but subtituting things anyways. heres the specs

Intel 486DX 33mhz
36MB RAM
128kb L2 cache
CF 512MB HDD controlled by an ISA Silicon Valley ADP-60 controller card (the on board IDE and Bios suck and is very picky about drives)
Diamond Speedstar Pro 1MB based of a Cirrus Logic chip
Audio Excel sb16 clone sound card paired with an MT-32. (I did this cause I already had the card and because it doesnt have the hanging note bug. it has no true FM but since i'm using the MT-32 anyways figured that was irrelivent.)

anyways the speed feels okay but then I never played this game back in the day so I'm unsure what the agreed upon "perfect" speed is. The only think is the guardians lip sync seems a little more off then what i've seen in other videos. I did make a crappy quality video of the intro and some gameplay with my old digital camera so what do you guys think?

If I do need more speed I don't think theres much more I can do. I can replace the speedstar with a a tseng 4000 but I don't know if that would make any diffrence. I could also possibly drop in a AMD 486DX 40mhz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhIBXEuVicI&feature=youtu.be

Reply 65 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing that hasn't been quite ultimate enough with regard to my Ultimate Ultima 7 machine is the VGA card. In my humble opinion the Tseng ET4000AX chipset is the best looking VGA chipset by a mile (pre-Matrox Millennium), but sadly the motherboard I'm using here - the OPTi 495SLC - seems to have an incompatibility with the VLB version of the ET4000AX (it has no problem with the ISA version, but I can't bring myself to use an ISA card in a VLB motherboard). Determined to beat that issue I've tracked down an original paper copy of the manual for the 495SLC motherboard, which documented the various jumper and BIOS settings for the board far more comprehensively than stason. I was able to improve overall performance a small amount perhaps, but the incompatibility remained. After a year and a half of searching, I also managed to track down a second VLB card which uses the ET4000AX chipset - this is actually an ISA chipset originally, so VLB cards generally have the ET4000/W32 chipset and up. Unfortunately the new card had the exactly same problem, Ultima 7 (and some other games) are displayed with evenly spaced black bars running vertically down the screen every 1cm or so.

So I've given up on the Tseng dream for this machine (note that I have tried a ET4000/W32 based VLB card and wasn't impressed), but before settling for a Cirrus Logic GD5428 - which I've been using since putting this PC together - I decided to spend some time trying out the other VLB VGA cards I've stashed away over the years to see if I could top it. My requirements for this card are:

- As close to the bright, colourful and sharp image provided by the ET4000AX as possible. I've graded each card with A (best) to C (worst) on "Brightness/Colour" and "Sharpness" to help determine which one is best in this regard.
- All VLB cards I've tried with Ultima 7 exhibit a "shimmering pixel" effect to some degree, where a thin, horizontal line of pixels "shimmer" for the width of the screen and cause the mouse cursor to flash when in contact with said pixels. Some cards do it more than others, most aren't even noticeable, but on some cards it's right in the middle of the screen so it can get annoying. My ultimate card would have minimal shimmering.
- Compatible. I'd like to play games on this machine other than Ultima 7, so Keen 4 and Jazz Jackrabbit - which I've experienced compatibility issues with in the past - were used as a simple test of a card's DOS game compatibility. As it turns out all cards below worked fine with these games.

Nice-to-haves are speed and memory expandability. This is a DOS only machine and it won't be used for graphically demanding games.

Obviously this isn't a scientific test in any way - just subjective ramblings for my own amusement really - but I thought someone with an interest in VLB cards might like to see what I decided on. Here are the results:

S3 805.
I got this from Germany at some stage, and indeed it's "German designed". S3's are supposed to be very compatible and it was the second fastest card I have. Overall it’s a decent card.
IMG_4789_zpsc196bec7.jpg

3DBench 1.0

Ultima7
Very slight shimmer
Brightness/Colour: B
Sharpness: A+

Memory expandable?
No

WDC Paradise WD90C33.
I picked this up locally for a few bucks a while back and it's a very interesting card. It's from '94 so quite late in the VLB timeframe and it has numerous jumpers and switches to change the font and set refresh rates at different resolutions.
IMG_4792_zps601ebf10.jpg

3DBench 1.0

Ultima 7
Very slight shimmer
Brightness/Colour: B+
Sharpness: A+

Memory expandable?
Yes

ATi Mach 64.
This thing uses a strange font and is otherwise unremarkable.
IMG_4794_zpsc663c70e.jpg

3DBench 1.0

Ultima 7
Noticeable shimmering
Brightness/Colour: B-
Sharpness: A

Memory expandable?
Yes, proprietary module required though.

Trident TGUI9440A.
I forgot to run 3DBench on this thing - I was so disgusted with the image quality that I wanted it out of my sight ASAP.
IMG_4795_zps845ede3f.jpg

Ultima 7
Noticeable shimmer
Brightness/Colour: C-
Sharpness: B

Memory expandable?
Yes

ARK Logic 1000VL.
ARK cards are supposed to be very fast in DOS and this one is just that, otherwise it has nothing going for it however.
IMG_4797_zps99c35d34.jpg

3DBench 1.0

Ultima 7
Noticeable shimmer
Brightness/Colour: C
Sharpness: B+

Memory expandable?
Yes

Cirrus Logic GD5428.
I have several Cirrus Logic cards and they’re consistently very good, but not quite great because of image quality. Actually one of them produces a great image – very bright and sharp – but it also produces terrible moire on my beloved Sony CRT, so I can’t use it.
IMG_4800_zps5de7443f.jpg

3DBench 1.0

Ultima 7
Slight shimmer
Brightness/Colour: B+
Sharpness: B+

Memory expandable?
Yes

The S3, Cirrus Logic and Paradise cards were all pretty much even-stevens, but in the end I decided to go with the WDC Paradise card. It produces a really beautiful image (not quite up to the ET4000AX standard but close), can have its memory expanded if need be, and has a number of interesting jumpers / switches to play around with which is always a bonus. I also like that I have the documentation for this card, found here:

http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/v/U-Z/50034.htm

It was actually the slowest card apart from the Trident which I didn’t run 3DBench on, but I assume would be slower. As I said speed isn’t really an issue, I’m more interested in pretty pictures for this pre-DOOM machine. So I’ll Journey Onward with this card for now and hope for the best.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 67 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Badmojo, found something interesting about your motherboard!

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/138741

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 68 of 166, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

badmojo, nice review! I actually have a similar S3 805 with memory expansion slots! If you would like to use it instead of Western Digital, let me know 😀
P1010406.JPG

Reply 69 of 166, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an issue with my ISA Tseng 4000 when I replaced my speedster pro with one. I would get "static" at the top of the screen every time a new screen would load. Ex - intro movie, then on title screen ECT.. It almost looked like tracking issues with a VCR tape. I tried 2 diffrent Tseng cards with the same issue.

Reply 70 of 166, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Unfortunately the new card had the exactly same problem, Ultima 7 (and some other games) are displayed with evenly spaced black bars running vertically down the screen every 1cm or so.

Have you double-checked to make sure this isn't just caused by your monitor, or even your VGA cable? It sounds like some sort of refresh rate mismatch.

Reply 71 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Badmojo, found something interesting about your motherboard!

Ha how funny, I'll be sure to keep this system clear of Windows 95. Speaking of the turbo mode on this motherboard though - it actually underclocks the CPU. It's one of the reasons I like this motherboard.

RacoonRider wrote:

badmojo, nice review! I actually have a similar S3 805 with memory expansion slots! If you would like to use it instead of Western Digital, let me know 😀

Thankyou my friend that's very generous of you! I'll see how WDC goes and keep it in mind. That's a handsome looking card that one, and I like the more modern memory module option.

soviet conscript wrote:

I had an issue with my ISA Tseng 4000 when I replaced my speedster pro with one. I would get "static" at the top of the screen every time a new screen would load. Ex - intro movie, then on title screen ECT.. It almost looked like tracking issues with a VCR tape. I tried 2 diffrent Tseng cards with the same issue.

Yes "static" is a good way to describe it. So I guess Ultima 7 and VLB Tseng cards just don't mix. Never mind, I have ET4000AX cards in 3 other machines so it's probably good that I'm forced to use something else for a change - I wouldn't want to be accused of being boring!

Jorpho wrote:

Have you double-checked to make sure this isn't just caused by your monitor, or even your VGA cable? It sounds like some sort of refresh rate mismatch.

Yes I've tried a different monitor, and I've tried this same card in a different machine. It's definitely this specific combination that's the issue.

Reply 72 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima 7 on a 386DX 40 MHz with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and Roland MT-32

My YouTube channel

Reply 73 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice! The 386DX40 handles it well for the most part - that's actually what I started playing the game on, but I think the extra zip of the VLB architecture helps to smooth things out a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

Reply 75 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

Does there seem to be any diffrence between running it on a 33mhz as compared to a 40mhz?

A 40 MHz performs 20% faster and this seems to be quite a demanding game. I personally would also play this rather on a 486.

To see the difference between 40 and 33 MHz on a 386 you can head to my YT channel and check out Wing Comander footage.

My YouTube channel

Reply 76 of 166, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

Does there seem to be any diffrence between running it on a 33mhz as compared to a 40mhz?

A 40 MHz performs 20% faster and this seems to be quite a demanding game. I personally would also play this rather on a 486.

To see the difference between 40 and 33 MHz on a 386 you can head to my YT channel and check out Wing Comander footage.

The speed at which the characters move is perfectly fine, but the loading and scrolling is like wading through molasses and just too slow to fully enjoy the game.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 77 of 166, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

The speed at which the characters move is perfectly fine, but the loading and scrolling is like wading through molasses and just too slow to fully enjoy the game.

Which CPU are you referring to, 386 33, 386 40?

Reply 79 of 166, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I failed to get The Black Gate and Serpent Isle smooth on old hardware. Its such a speed sensitive game.
I like menu speed and general responsiveness of these games on a 486DX2-66 but movement is just way too fast.
Try and chase a fleeing enemy on a DX2-66 ...Its insane. You'll end up running across Britannia chasing him down!
Movement is "as it should be" on a 25-33mhz machine but then you have to deal with a slow UI. Scrolling especially will always be awkward in this game.

I think Its as good as its going to get on my 486SX33 with a S3 805 Video Card.
Its been a while since I tried Exult. I'm going to give that a go soon.

Badmojo: Nice thread, pics and reviews 😀

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=