Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.instructables.com/image/FADNBXLFR0 … ld-computer.jpg

Nothing like a huge mountain to wet ones desire for all things computing. 🤣

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine! MINE!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...and mostly white/beige cases too!

A few select members here at Vogons should consider starting a charitable not-for-profit organisation for the preservation of computer hardware, software, magazines, and relavent research literature. We could even have our own muesem. We'd lobby for laws against the disposal of computer hardware until the public has had ample time to salvage the valuables. I think a very large volume of hardware being thrown away, or recycled now, could end up in the hands of a collector somewhere in the world. I think most people here would pay $25 for that one motherboard on their hot list. After the cost of overhead, collection, and the recycling process, how much profit can one really obtain from a 486 motherboard? Surely not $25. In many parts of the world, they are probably still dumping this stuff into the landfills. Vogons users could potentially take 15% of all electronics sent to landfills home with them (that is assuming the the Vogons population is increasing). Anyway, now we just need some angel investors to get us started. Cyrix 5x86-133's for everyone!!!

Ok, that was a short lived dream. I have another dream to spearhead ex-members of the Cyrix 5x86 project and create a 200 MHz (50x4) Cyrix 5x86 from the billions of dollars left to me by a distant relative I never knew existed. We'd also want to create my dream 486 chipset and motherboard while we were at it.

Back to reality now, all those computers in that photo are outside and exposed to the elements - I'd better get my pickup truck before it rains!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
...and mostly white/beige cases too! […]
Show full quote

...and mostly white/beige cases too!

A few select members here at Vogons should consider starting a charitable not-for-profit organisation for the preservation of computer hardware, software, magazines, and relavent research literature. We could even have our own muesem. We'd lobby for laws against the disposal of computer hardware until the public has had ample time to salvage the valuables. I think a very large volume of hardware being thrown away, or recycled now, could end up in the hands of a collector somewhere in the world. I think most people here would pay $25 for that one motherboard on their hot list. After the cost of overhead, collection, and the recycling process, how much profit can one really obtain from a 486 motherboard? Surely not $25. In many parts of the world, they are probably still dumping this stuff into the landfills. Vogons users could potentially take 15% of all electronics sent to landfills home with them (that is assuming the the Vogons population is increasing). Anyway, now we just need some angel investors to get us started. Cyrix 5x86-133's for everyone!!!

Ok, that was a short lived dream. I have another dream to spearhead ex-members of the Cyrix 5x86 project and create a 200 MHz (50x4) Cyrix 5x86 from the billions of dollars left to me by a distant relative I never knew existed. We'd also want to create my dream 486 chipset and motherboard while we were at it.

Back to reality now, all those computers in that photo are outside and exposed to the elements - I'd better get my pickup truck before it rains!

Even if it has been rained on a few times some of that stuff likely still worked 😢

I have salvaged systems that have been left out to rust before but usually the cases begin to rot out pretty quickly and the drives are good as dead if they got the breather hole. The boards typically survive but the connectors are usually rusted through.

Landed like 300gb worth of working drives this last May that are outdoors salvaged. One only had 295 hours of use. 😳

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SGI story is scandalous - I remember it being posted; most of that stuff was still new and unused. Some of that kit was extremely rare and people were clamouring to get hold of it, alas I believe it was virtually all destroyed.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net