VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That DNS redirect virus is supposed to hit today. Anyone got it?

Reply 2 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It didn't hit today, it got shut off today. If your internet access went away, that means you already had it... but anyone with any sense whatsoever would've noticed something amiss beforehand, since it operated by redirecting all your internet traffic to fake spam pages and other malware downloads. This being a computer tech forum (of sorts), I'd think most of the people here are savvy enough not to get tricked by such a thing.

However, I am expecting at least a few calls from clients this week.

Reply 3 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That what happens when people know only part of the story...
Old Thrasbarg got it right 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

You're not one to talk about only knowing part of a story. You didn't even know why your own country blocked Wolfenstein 3D.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sliderider wrote:
Dominus wrote:

You're not one to talk about only knowing part of a story. You didn't even know why your own country blocked Wolfenstein 3D.

Liar and twister of truth.
oh, I know very well why Wolfenstein is blocked, you were just knowing wrong stuff again. If you read the wikipedia article on the Verbotsgesetz of the country I live in (not my own country) you'd have an idea why Wolfenstein is verboten but not every showing of Nazisigns...
Again, learn your stuff before you write bs

Last edited by Dominus on 2012-07-11, 04:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 14, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of us may use a different DNS server then what our ISP provides, this is what is programmed into my VPN router.

Also I have all my machines pointing to this DNS server from each WS and I then use the DNS in the router as an alternate.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 10 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, just a thought, why doesn't someone just write a wrapper/emulator specifically for the old versions of Dbase so that they'll work on modern OSs? 🤣 I mean there seems to be a demand for it, so why not? After all, if someone manages to whip one up, then we won't see so many n00bs asking for help getting it to run on DosBox! 🤣

Reply 11 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hehe, there aren't that many. I think there might actually be already commercial solutions in place. Except the users don't want to pay 😀

On the subject of the virus.
I hope the people who are without internet now, do get their pc fixed and maybe (wishful thinking) they have learned their lesson.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed nothing odd. Didn't even knew of the existence of this virus until I read this thread

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!