Common searches

It's really old!!!

Topic actions

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a random story. A friend told me about this really old PC and if I want it.

I checked it out and it's only an IBM Pentium 2. I said: It's too new 😀 Should have seen my friends look...

Reply 1 of 26, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably a similar look to the one I get when people see my physical game collection of over 200 games and I say: "I don't have enough games." ;D

Since starting ADG, I've also been acquiring a lot more digital downloads of full games through various websites, GOG and Steam. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 26, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old but no where near old enough. When people tell me they got "old" comps that they don't want 486 tends to pop into my mind thinking ooh what could be in there but reality usually ends up being a pentium 3 or a pentium 4. 😒

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 26, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had similar issues with people misunderstanding the relative age of computers. Not too long ago, a buddy told me about a machine that he was certain was from the 1970s... of course I got very excited and wanted to see it. until further into the conversation when he told me that he got the date from what was actually part of the model number (the computer was less than a decade old).

Reply 6 of 26, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣, that's a familiar story. I've gotten very sceptical about people's "old computers". In most people's mind anything more than 5 years old is obsolete. A sad state of affairs!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

I knew a guy at school who was doing gold recovery on "386 and 486" computers. I said bring me one - I will buy it off you. It turned out to be an IDT Winchip. Um, no thanks............

You should ask how much he is paying for his parts to do gold recovery. I'll bet he's paying more than the gold is worth.

Reply 8 of 26, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Several months back i had the clever idea of putting an add on Kijiji Where i said i would buy for 5$ any old computer that is on an AT board, I specified "First generation pentiums, 486, 386, 286 and anything older." I also said i was interested in EGA, CGA monitors or anything older.

Before i knew it i was flooded with messages from people offering me their "old" P4, P3, or P2 and VGA monitors. 😒

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 9 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

Several months back i had the clever idea of putting an add on Kijiji Where i said i would buy for 5$ any old computer that is on an AT board, I specified "First generation pentiums, 486, 386, 286 and anything older." I also said i was interested in EGA, CGA monitors or anything older.

Before i knew it i was flooded with messages from people offering me their "old" P4, P3, or P2 and VGA monitors. 😒

Buy them for $5 then sell off the parts and buy some of the outrageously priced boards from ebay with the proceeds.

Reply 10 of 26, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Buy them for $5 then sell off the parts and buy some of the outrageously priced boards from ebay with the proceeds.

Actually i did buy one Dell E520 motherboard to some dude because of that add. Sold it on Ebay for about 80$.

Thing is i offered to drive and pickup the computers if the distance was reasonable. Doing 10 miles for an old P2s did not seem to be worth it considering i find them in the trash quite often. 😜

Reply 11 of 26, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is old:

The-First-Computer.jpg

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 14 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:
That's not a computer. This is a computer. […]
Show full quote
jmrydholm wrote:
This is old: […]
Show full quote

This is old:

The-First-Computer.jpg

That's not a computer. This is a computer.

thisisacomputer.png

But can it compute the question to the ultimate answer?

Reply 15 of 26, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 the first thing I thought of was, "Doc Brown!"

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 16 of 26, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just a random story. A friend told me about this really old PC and if I want it.

I checked it out and it's only an IBM Pentium 2. I said: It's too new 😀 Should have seen my friends look...

I might have taken the P2 if it had ISA slots.

By the way, I recently bought an AM3+ motherboard with a floppy header. People seem to think I'm nuts. 😁

Reply 17 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asrock made a Z77 top-of-the-range board with a floppy header 😀 I now just use a USB floppy drive which works very well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 26, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking of getting a USB floppy drive, but for now My ASUS P5Q board has a Floppy header on it and the thing is getting alot of use 🤣.

Reply 19 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am finding it hard to get floppy drives these days.

A few years ago most PC stores would still sell them. Now they only sell the USB drives.

I wish CF > IDE adapters would be hot-swappable 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel