VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vintage (1984) JBL 120Tis driven by vintage (1975) Sansui AU-7900. 😀

The 120Tis. They sound flawlessly, although they need cosmetic restoration. Unfortunately I'm still too busy for it right now. Hopefully after 15th December.

jbl120Tisanscover_zps847179c6.jpg
frequency response: 35Hz - 27 KHz
sensitivity: 89dB/watt/meter
impedance: 8 ohms
woofers: JBL 128H-1 30cm cone
mid ranges: JBL 104 H 13cm cone
tweeters: JBL 044Ti titanium dome
max power handling capacity: 150 watts

The Sansui AU-7900. In contrast with the speakers, the amp is still in perfect cosmetic condition, but its speakers protection circuits needs serious overhaul.
sansuiau7900resized_zps18e9ef3b.jpg
power output: 75 watts rms per channel at 8 ohm
frequency response: 5Hz to 40kHz
total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Anyway, if anyone just happen to have or spot a pair of JBL 044Ti spare tweeters, please PM me. 😉 No, my tweeters are fine, but a pair of spare tweeters are always nice to have.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 41 of 301, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

12" woofers! Screw me. How do you manage not to get yourself blown out of the window?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 42 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

12" woofers! Screw me. How do you manage not to get yourself blown out of the window?

Oh no, no. The woofers are not "boomy". On the contrary, they're VERY musical. That is, the bass sounds "tight" and accurate, yet it is still strong when it needs to.

Okay, I still CAN shatter the windows if I boost the bass using the amplifier's bass control knob, but boosting certain frequencies make the sound reproduction less accurate. Bass and treble buttons, equalizers; such thing should be used in moderation to compensate for room acoustics, instead of making bass that sounds thunderous but fake. Besides, room treatments should go first before you tinker with tone controls.

Back to the topic, the 12" woofers still sound cleaner and more accurate than my Velodyne subwoofer, which sounds more "boomy" in comparison. Although of course the sub goes deeper - down to 27 Hz which is not bad. The sub is currently unused, the amp (external amp, since it's a passive sub) was fried when a lightning struck.

VelodyneSC8.jpg

Unlike, say, Logitech Z-5500, the JBL 120Tis do not generally give you thunderous, boomy bass during gaming session. Instead, it gives you accurate sound in overall. Yes, it does produce thunderous bass, but only if the thunderous bass is there on the first place. However, if you want deep, accurate bass, then you'll be satisfied. 😀

The Tis gave me a pleasant surprise in a session of MDK. During a session, there was a background noise of sliding metals, and it sounded so real that I was caught in surprise. Yes, MDK's sound effect recordings are not as good as typical music studio recordings, but the sound effect still sound more accurate than what I've heard from multimedia speakers.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 43 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, I should add that large diameter woofers do not necessarily produce thunderous bass. Instead, they can give you deeper, more accurate bass, since large diameter woofers produce certain amount of SPL with less excursion. Small diameter woofers, on the other hand, needs more excursion to provide the same amount of SPL, thus they can be less accurate and more "boomy" than larger ones. And of course, small diameter woofers consume more power to produce the same amount of SPL.

Things being said, large diameter woofers can also produce less accurate, more "boomy" bass, because large diameter cones move slower than the smaller ones. My statement above is just mere generalization to simplify the concept. Design is one thing, but execution is more important. There are still many factors to consider, like the quality of the driver, box design (sealed vs ported), etcetera.

Reply 44 of 301, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaah lovely topic 😀 When I listen to music at my pc. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 429, and when I want to listen through some speakers at my pc. I use a pair of JBL Pro Speakers that looks like these jbl_pro_computer_speakers_15_east_nashville_28869611.jpg

Reply 47 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:
Aaah lovely topic :) When I listen to music at my pc. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 429, and when I want to listen through some […]
Show full quote

Aaah lovely topic 😀 When I listen to music at my pc. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 429, and when I want to listen through some speakers at my pc. I use a pair of JBL Pro Speakers that looks like these jbl_pro_computer_speakers_15_east_nashville_28869611.jpg

Nice, buddy. But I was shivering in anticipation for you to post your Dali 7a pics. 😁

Now, this thread won't be complete with our resident surround receiver guy. Maliiiiikkk!!! 😁

Reply 48 of 301, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On my main desktop (i7, 8GB, SSD, GTX660) I have a Sound Blaster Z, Shure SHR1440 into the headphone port and Logitech z623 on the desk. The software has a switch to select between speakers and headphones. Virtual surround works really well and gives me an edge in games such as BF4 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 49 of 301, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
Aaah lovely topic :) When I listen to music at my pc. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 429, and when I want to listen through some […]
Show full quote

Nice, buddy. But I was shivering in anticipation for you to post your Dali 7a pics. 😁

Well, you are talking about these lovely fellows ?

4_f.jpg

Well, my speakers looks exactly like those 😀 Except they are MUCH lighter in colour 😀 And prettier than those 😀 hell I just checked the price online for them (on a used pair), those cost 2500 Danish kroner.

Reply 50 of 301, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't really provide images right now but I'm using some old Creative 5.1 speakers that I wanted my father to get together after buying me a Audigy 2 ZS for UT2003 when that game came out.

My headphones are a smashed Toxix ear pollution set. I say smashed because my mate smashed them in a fit of rage, I've since fixed them and they work just fine despite the wiring to the other ear piece became frayed. (A very simple resolder too)

EDIT: I meant UT2003, crap I'm tired...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 51 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:
Well, you are talking about these lovely fellows ? […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:
Show full quote

Well, you are talking about these lovely fellows ?

4_f.jpg

Well, my speakers looks exactly like those 😀 Except they are MUCH lighter in colour 😀 And prettier than those 😀 hell I just checked the price online for them (on a used pair), those cost 2500 Danish kroner.

Pretty loudspeakers! 😀

Dali 7a:
frequency response: 35Hz - 20 KHz
sensitivity: 89dB/watt/meter
impedance: 8 ohms
woofers: 10" super long stroke
mid ranges: 3" dome
tweeters: 0.75" polyamide dome
max power handling capacity: 200 watts

Guys, please also post pics with your speakers. I'd really love to see this thread decorated with beautiful loudspeaker photos. 😀

Reply 52 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Can't really provide images right now but I'm using some old Creative 5.1 speakers that I wanted my father to get together after buying me a Audigy 2 ZS for UT2003 when that game came out.

Is that Cambridge Soundworks? The 2002 model? I remember CGW editor O'Neal recommended Creative Cambridge Soundworks for CGW ultimate right. Everybody was crazy about Klipsch ProMedia at that time, but he recommended the Cambridge nonetheless.

DracoNihil wrote:

My headphones are a smashed Toxix ear pollution set. I say smashed because my mate smashed them in a fit of rage,

Um, what?

Reply 53 of 301, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my setup. I'm sure I posted these pics here before:

img4058x.jpg

Speakers:

Svenska SLS-1095. I think these are quite rare. They're actually Jamo speakers, made in Sweden. Sound good, very detailed in the mid-range, but severely lacking in bass.

JVC SK-33s. Not particularly interesting speakers. When properly equalised, they have a nice punching bass and that's the only reason I use them.

Grundig HiFi-Box 500. These have no mid-range. Only very deep bass and really high treble. The bass is surprisingly good for such small speakers. And they're quite heavy!

Now all of these speakers are pretty cheap and don't sound all that great on their own, but when used together, with all the amp levels and EQs carefully tweaked, this set really comes alive. Took me a while to get to this arrangement though.

(not shown) Bose 301 Series-II. These are LOUD! Holy shit. They sound very pleasant for some reason, but not "good". Frequency response is okay across the whole range, but nothing ever sounds detailed on these speakers. They're good at creating a loud, yet not annoying, diffuse sound stage. I think these would perform really well in a pub or so.

(on the next pic) Philips SHP-5401. I use these headphones more than the speaker set. These sound VERY good, IMO. I'm pretty sure these can easily compete with some of the more expensive headphones out there. Yet these only cost €20, believe it or not!

g8en.jpg
(edit: new picture, click for hi-res)

Amplifiers, from bottom to top:

Philips F4220. Not in use at the moment.

Yamaha CA-810. My best amplifier. It powers the Svenska and Bose speakers, and the Philips headphones.
2x90W RMS in 4 ohm at 0.05% THD
Frequency response 10Hz to 100kHz +0dB -1.5dB

115dB signal to noise ratio.

JVC-Nivico 5010U. Almost antique and not exactly hi-fi, but it DOES look really awesome. The graphical EQ is also a very nice feature. It has some weird quirks like a single-sided power supply and all-NPN output stage. This one powers the JVC speakers.
2x16W RMS in 4 ohm at 1% THD.
Frequency response 30Hz to 30kHz -3.0dB
70dB SNR.
FM tuning range is about 85 to 112 MHz. Not that I ever listen to radio though...

Pioneer A-333. It's a good amp, but ugly looking compared to the other two. This amp powers the Grundig speakers.
2x75W or so. Don't have a manual.

X-Fi Elite Pro breakout box. I had to put this somewhere. Would've rather hidden it away, but I do need it for MIDI, SPDIF and line-in.

I also bought a good turntable a few months ago. Its a Thorens TD 320 MkII with Denon DL-103 MC cartridge. Still need to find some space for it.

Last edited by jwt27 on 2013-11-25, 23:09. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 54 of 301, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not particularly demanding in this department, so I have the Logitech Z523 2.1 speaker set. The subwoofer is actually quite good.

I don't really use headphones a lot, I have a set of Behringer HPM1000, pretty simple headphones, but adequate. I mainly use them at night when everyone else in the house needs to sleep. I generally like to stay up until 4-5am in the morning, unless I'm really tired or have something important to do on the next day, so these headphones help out 😀.

Reply 55 of 301, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm very happy with my current system which I've had for a few years now.

If you've never tried a decent pair of headphones like the Alessandro MS1 or never really got into 5.1 channel sound please demo a decent setup. dolby digital sound is the best!

Headphones: Alessandro MS1
These headphones are amazing!

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608
Excellent quality amp!

Speakers: Accusound 5.1 + 250w sub
Good value and they do the job!

3ahs.jpg

hxa4.jpg

gkvu.jpg

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 56 of 301, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't have a picture at the ready but I've been using Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones and really love them. When I turn on cmss-3d for certain games the headphones SHAKE on my head with explosions etc. NEVER head that with anything else before. Great for music too as they are pretty flat studio cans.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 57 of 301, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that Cambridge Soundworks? The 2002 model? I remember CGW editor O'Neal recommended Creative Cambridge Soundworks for CGW ultimate right. Everybody was crazy about Klipsch ProMedia at that time, but he recommended the Cambridge nonetheless.

I'd wish, it's some Creative inSPIRE 5.1 surround sound speaker set... Came with stands to put the rear speakers, I ended up having to use these as 2.1 stereo speakers because my parents kept knocking over the speakers after enough of them being knocked over they were damaged to the point of being unusable (you can hear the voice coil snap crackle and pop at even the most simplest of sounds)

These speakers when they were out of the box in working order worked wonders in UT2003, sans Unreal engine 1.x games because you know, they didn't actually properly have audio libraries that worked with this kind of thing. I think I even remembered playing Doom 3 with the speaker set and made playing the game alot easier.

Um, what?

It's a long story...

I'll have pictures up when I can get better lighting in my room.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 58 of 301, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as gaming with my 486DX2/66 and P5-166 systems goes, I use a pair of Roland DS-50A studio monitors for all things musical, and a pair of Bose MediaMate speakers for digital audio output (from an AWE32 and PAS-16).

studio_13_s.jpg

And as far as headphones go, I've been using Sennheiser HD-600s and a Grado RA-1 amplifier for over ten years now.

Ho-hum.