does this sound like a virus?

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:
gee... when was the last time I bought a toner cartridge for it... hmm... NEVER? I'm still using the toner cartridge it came wit […]
Show full quote

gee... when was the last time I bought a toner cartridge for it... hmm... NEVER?
I'm still using the toner cartridge it came with when I got this printer used... and it came with a spare... I don't think I'll need to buy one for a while
don't think for a minute that I seldomly use it... I used it enough already to have to replace the rollers and fuser assembly

laser printers use TONER, not ink
this is not some POS inkjet, which uses INK
this printer was such a popular model, parts will be available for a long time... at least another 5 years, since windows 7 officially supports this printer, there will be plenty others like me who will continue to use this printer... hell, even old laserjet 4s are still pumping out thousands of pages every day around the world in not so well funded offices, that too is supported in windows 7

as for electricity, the new ones I'm sure uses less at idle, but this one does have power saving mode too, so I don't care

I am aware of what laser printers use. I only have about 10 of them myself. I use 'ink' as a generic catch all to include ink and toner. Also, if your printer isn't supported in Windows 7, it certainly isn't going to be supported in future versions of Windows, either. So that's something else to think about. Just like Apple did away with Rosetta for backwards compatibility with PPC apps, Microsoft will eventually do away with compatibility mode because who is still going to be using hardware or software that requires Win 98 or XP in a few more years when Windows 9 or 10 are out? Then you'll be left in the dust with your incompatible hardware and be forced to upgrade.

Reply 42 of 44, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but the laserjet 4/5/6 series IS supported in windows 7, so my point is, there's going to be people who will continue to use them till Windows 7 goes off extended support in 2020 as long as nothing major breaks... so long as people will continue using them, the demand for parts will still be there... I am not the only hold out in this world... it wasn't long ago when I saw government offices of this particular country still using Laserjet 4s, which are even older than the 5! Windows XP support will die in a couple of years, and that will kill off support for XP Mode too, but it is there now for people to use if they need it.... I don't have anything that needs XP mode... if there is, I'd replace it, just like an input tablet I replaced a year ago

You are right that eventually I will be "forced to upgrade"... the life cycles of PC hardware and software is more gradual... it took 15 years before I finally ditched the last of my apps that depended on 16-bit DLLs (even though they were mostly 32-bit)... it took many years for me to move away from IDE drives

I'm not made of money, so I will continue using what works and still performs decently... there is no need for me or most people to use the latest and greatest... those who do are graphics designers, CAD users, modern FPS gamers, etc