l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8r3tHUK6v4

😁

Reply 2 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played around with both, and I actually like the interface on Vista much better. 🤣 I mean, 7's interface is alright, and it is a somewhat better OS overall, but the weird way it combines the quick launch bar with the window selection takes some getting used to.

Of course XP still trumps both of these by a long shot, because it's the lightest of the three, it has the best interface of the three, and it doesn't concern itself so much with being "n00b-proof" and "user friendly" and locking down your system.

Reply 6 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever since I got my dad's old Alienware M17x laptop, I've been using Win7 every day, and with the right tweaks (mainly disabling UAC and enabling the smaller taskbar), it's actually a pretty good OS, in fact dare I say if you have the hardware for it it's even better than XP 😁 (but ONLY if you have at least 6GB of RAM and a semi-modern GPU and multicore CPU 😜).

If you're wondering how I managed to get this laptop (which is only 2 years old, I may add), well, my dad isn't the best at maintaining his computers (when I got this thing it was chock-full of dust and unnecessary background programs, so it ran slowly 😜), so instead of doing the proper thing and cleaning this computer out, he just bought himself a new gaming desktop. As soon as I got it, I dusted it out and tweaked the hell out of the settings and uninstalled a bunch of crapware, and now it runs even better than it did brand-new! 😁 I didn't even have to reinstall the OS!

Reply 8 of 14, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Ever since I got my dad's old Alienware M17x laptop, I've been using Win7 every day, and with the right tweaks (mainly disabling UAC and enabling the smaller taskbar), it's actually a pretty good OS, in fact dare I say if you have the hardware for it it's even better than XP 😁 (but ONLY if you have at least 6GB of RAM and a semi-modern GPU and multicore CPU 😜).

If you're wondering how I managed to get this laptop (which is only 2 years old, I may add), well, my dad isn't the best at maintaining his computers (when I got this thing it was chock-full of dust and unnecessary background programs, so it ran slowly 😜), so instead of doing the proper thing and cleaning this computer out, he just bought himself a new gaming desktop. As soon as I got it, I dusted it out and tweaked the hell out of the settings and uninstalled a bunch of crapware, and now it runs even better than it did brand-new! 😁 I didn't even have to reinstall the OS!

why do you even want to disable UAC? that's stupid! it's there for a reason
many bone headed IT techs disable UAC because it's "annoying"... well it's annoying for a reason... it's to protect people from having malware secretly installed onto their computers! It's annoying to THEM because they have to see those messages all the time while configuring or installing software

in my day to day use of 7, I hardly encounter any UAC dialog boxes... I only see it when I install something new or have to run something in XP compatibility mode

it's there to protect me when my virus scanner can't.... it's the last line of defense

Reply 9 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a power user. I constantly install and uninstall new apps, tweak different settings, and generally muck around with stuff I'm not "supposed" to. I very rarely have my own systems fail on me, and when they do, I just plug my hard drive into another system, backup my files, reinstall the OS, and I'm on my way.

I should also mention that if your AV doesn't protect against incoming threats, you should seriously consider switching to something that actually does. I myself use Avast, it's not the most lightweight AV out there, but I've never seen anything else protect nearly as well. As well, I use Adblock Plus (a surprising number of online ads carry malicious payloads), and I have a Linksys router as a hardware firewall (which I have proven to be extremely secure using GRC's ShieldsUp tool).

I know, I know, I went into a bit of a rant, but I just wanted to clarify that I'm not some n00b who disables UAC merely because it's annoying and doesn't think of other ways of securing his system.

I can see why UAC is beneficial for people who aren't as tech-savvy, but for my usage it just gets in the way.

Reply 10 of 14, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMAN wrote:
why do you even want to disable UAC? that's stupid! it's there for a reason many bone headed IT techs disable UAC because it's " […]
Show full quote

why do you even want to disable UAC? that's stupid! it's there for a reason
many bone headed IT techs disable UAC because it's "annoying"... well it's annoying for a reason... it's to protect people from having malware secretly installed onto their computers! It's annoying to THEM because they have to see those messages all the time while configuring or installing software

in my day to day use of 7, I hardly encounter any UAC dialog boxes... I only see it when I install something new or have to run something in XP compatibility mode

it's there to protect me when my virus scanner can't.... it's the last line of defense

Errr... no, it's not:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/02/05 … ate-on-uac.aspx

Read the paragraph "The Purpose of UAC"

Microsoft created UAC to force software developers into coding well-behaved applications. The logic was to make the UAC screen annoying, so the users will complain to the developers, and those will hopefully fix their software.

But it was clearly not designed to be a security boundary or "last line of defense" as you say.

In fact, it's easily avoided by malware:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/windows-7s … re-samples/4825

Reply 11 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

UAC might have been a security boundary at first, but now it doesn't stop newer, "good" (programmed) malware ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a couple of things I like more about 7. It gets the desktop loaded faster and it has the auto-window-size double-click. That's about it.

Vista's Explorer has some serious advantages over 7 though. Two that I've run into are that you can disable auto-arrange of files in a folder and the sort bar is shown in thumbnail view. Win7 dumped some features like this for mysterious reasons. I'm sure it was seen as simplification (you can't make a GUI easy enough for the masses)

Reply 14 of 14, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah always-automatic-sort-the-files-list that can't be disabled is sucks,
especialy if you trying to copy bunch of files into a folder that already contain lots of files.
it almost guaranteed that you might lost track which files was copied.

-fffuuu