Common searches

windows8

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 321, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hated both XP and 7's searches. I liked 98's search more as it actually had solid "search within files" capability (XP's search within files is much more flaky) and it didn't get stuck on zips like XP tends to do even if you disable "search compressed folders".

I still use the old third-party tool SiFileFinder, when I need to search within files.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 102 of 321, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been traumatized by Windows 7's so called "search" function and "indexing" service. I haven't installed any other search utilities yet though since I seldom use the search function. For now, when I'm in a folder, I just enter the name to find on the search bar on the top right part of the explorer window.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 103 of 321, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tip: For the Windows 7 search function to work much better make sure you use libraries. They are very powerful and allow you quickly accessing things that are spread across various folders, drives or even networked machines.

e.g. for my video editing I have folders all over the place, but I put them in a library called, guess what, video editing.

And whenever I need to open something (file open dialogue), all the folders are listed right there.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 104 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done something like for years using folders that hold shortcuts to games and apps, then making desktop shortcuts to these folders. The desktop folder for Games for instance links to a main shortcut folder on D:, and which also contain subfolders for game types and utilities. I can keep track of everything in a very flexible and easy to navigate way.

What I've discovered with W7 is that you can no longer customize folder views for individual folders - say remove the navigation panel and unnecessary fluff from a particular folder. Do that and all folders will loose the navigation panel etc. Having only one folder view setup is a step back for me.

I'm looking at Libraries now but I don't think I like how they are basically married to the OS structure. My system was fast and loose, main folders always resided off C, with only linking shortcuts on the Desktop. I'm hanging with my scheme for now but am dissapointed how difficult it is to do things like change icon and icon text spacing and overall appearance withing folders. Not a deal breaker but I fear it presages more a restrictive environment in OSs to come.

I keep XP on another HD and boot to it when needed. Something about the proportion of icons/text and UI is easier to interface with. Other than that W7 [especially on an SSD] boots faster, performs better and is even more stable. These are aspect that didn't come to the fore on my work machine witch is W7 because I refrain from messing with it that much...

Reply 105 of 321, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Libraries are also fantastic for Backups! Integrates nicely with W7.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 106 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes the Library feature is nice. But my desktop shortcuts take one less click to access and it's easier to manipulate the contents since it's all copy/past rather than "make this part of Library X". But the Library system works very nicely.

Reply 108 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't notice it... Running Win8 Pro here.

I think I accidentally wrecked the permissions on the Windows and ProgramData folders, because now Background Intelligent Transfer Service wont start, and a whole mess of different things depend on that... Time for a reinstall on the weekend methinks.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 112 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know if W8 "classic desktop mode" allows you to save window sizes/locations and to modify icon text as in XP, or in more limited form as in W7? Im running W7 and I miss the XP's window/icon text functionality. W8 would be more appealing to me if it's desktop mode were more like XP..

Reply 113 of 321, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ShellFolderFix http://www.sevenforums.com/free-developer-pro … tions-size.html allows you to keep window sizes and locations, but the icon arrangement in folders is still set to auto arrange.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 114 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx collector. About a month ago I reinstalled W7. Previously I had ClassicShell installed for a more XP-like experience, but this time I thought I'd give plain old W7 a whirl. Well it's been a month and I still miss the XP explorer thing: Up Button, explorer pane, triangles etc., so I'm reinstalling ClassicShell again. I'll give ShelFolder a test too.

In downloading the current version of ClassicShell I noticed it's been grabbed almost 1,000,000 times. That's *a lot* of people feeling MS missed the boat on this. MS has made some very puzzling low level design decisions since XP making the new OS less fluid and adaptable.

I dual boot W7/XP and it's always refreshing to drop back into XP even if it's only for a few a little bit. No real dig on W7 but much prefer the XP interface.

Reply 115 of 321, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the topic of Windows' built in search, I've been looking for a good, free replacement for quite a while, especially since the built in search function on my XP box seems to be glitched. For whatever reason, it will go on absolutely forever, and in the process it will also list tons of duplicate results.

For instance, if I do a search for "*.txt" and I have a file in my "My Documents" folder called "gumbo recipes.txt", it will list that specific file multiple times in that specific location. 😜

Reply 116 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

Up Button, explorer pane, triangles etc.,

The up button functionality is there, and is actually better because you can do an arbitrary number of levels with one click. You just click the folder names in the address bar to jump back to any level you want.

Explorer pane is still there, unless that means something other than what I think it means?

What do you mean by triangles?

tincup wrote:

making the new OS less fluid and adaptable.

I find this statement somewhat ironic.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2013-03-12, 22:35. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 117 of 321, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

No real dig on W7 but much prefer the XP interface.

This guy is very specific on the subject: XP was my idea

As for me, I have not used any post-XP MS OS long enough to make a verdict. The hours I did spend with W7 and SBS 2011 was taken up mostly by waiting for auto-updating to finish...

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

On the topic of Windows' built in search, I've been looking for a good, free replacement for quite a while

The above site links to one.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 118 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ SquallStrife: Yes, I know you can click on the folders etc., but I still find it easier/faster to use the Up button. Triangles mean the panel flyout open/close indicators - they functioned a bit differently in XP than W7.

If you're happy with W7 as-is you probably wouldn't notice any of these changes, but to a fair number of people these are little things that make a difference [as evidenced by the popularity of ClassicShell].

No irony intended:) Wait, is that ironic? hmmm...

Reply 119 of 321, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

... This guy is very specific on the subject: XP was my idea ...

Thanks Gerwin, a very interesting reading.

As for me, anyone approaching any of my PCs with the Sesame Street tiles for monkeys ...

12141527.jpg

... will be fired upon with buckshot.

This sharp graphical joke perfectly summarizes the question:

5QtIw.jpg

Let the air flow!