VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, regarding this thread, I purchased Griffin Powermate several months ago, but haven't got the chance to test the thing until recently.

It works pretty well. You can map the rotation to mouse axis, key presses (it's called SendKey method), and certain basic functions like volume control. I map the rotation to left-right keyboard cursor keys in Star Control 2 remake, and ship rotational control feels more intuitive using the device.

However, the keyboard mapping doesn't work in DOSBOX. I works in everything else I tested it, including Notepad, but in DOSBOX, the SendKey method doesn't work.

Oddly enough, my CH HOTAS' keyboard emulation works in DOSBOX, and so does my Logitech joysticks (using Logitech Profiler). Only Griffin Powermate's keyboard emulation doesn't work in DOSBOX. However, Powermate mouse axis emulation works fine.

I just wonder, does Griffin Powermate use certain keyboard emulation method that doesn't work with certain application? And what kind of keyboard emulation method that doesn't work in DOSBOX?

I have contacted Griffin Technology technical support, but haven't got any reply.

Reply 2 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

unplug your keyboard (leave the powermate connected)
start dosbox see if the thing works then

I'm using laptop, but I'll try it with the desktop PC at my office. What makes you suspect the keyboard, by the way? Just curious.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Reply 3 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

try with any other SDL based program. ScummVM or Exult for example. Could be an SDL issue...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. Will do.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Griffin tech support sent me the Windows SDK. Unfortunately I ain't no programmer. How do we discover its incompatibility with DOSBOX from the zip I attached?

Attachments

• Filename
    PowerMate SDK Windows.zip
    File size
    249.25 KiB
    Downloads
    153 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

first test as I told you

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will do, will download a SCUMMV game and test it, will be back with update.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah,

I haven't got the chance to test PowerMate with SCUMMVM, but I tried windib. Guess what, it works! 😀

Wonder why it didn't work without windib option.