VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't sure where to put this so put it here!

This site is great and I visit almost daily, but one thing that annoys me is that - on paginated threads like "Bought these (retro) hardware today" - the page number links are only displayed at the bottom of the form.

This is a pain on slower devices like a phone or iPad, because you have to wait for all the pics to load before you can click the "last page" link.

Would it be possible to include them at the top too? Should be just a little bit of cut-and-pasting in the code behind me thinks?

Just a thought!

Reply 1 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know you can just click the little round icon to the left of the thread title, and it'll take you to the latest post.

That doesn't help if you want to go to a page somewhere in the middle, though.

Reply 3 of 25, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

the powers that be haven't updated the forum software in ages, let alone install spam bot filters... so I doubt any changes will happen

^^^ This ^^^

I'd like to find out why though. Is it a matter of money?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 25, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
TheMAN wrote:

the powers that be haven't updated the forum software in ages, let alone install spam bot filters... so I doubt any changes will happen

^^^ This ^^^

I'd like to find out why though. Is it a matter of money?

phpBB is open source IIRC, so it's not that.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 6 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

agreed, because phpBB is indeed a bitch to maintain and upgrade, I know because i've been down that road before, gave it up for SMF instead. Not preaching SMF, but generally most modern forum software has wisen up their update deployment methods, and I'm not even sure if phpBB3 is better in that respect as I gave it up around... 2.0.8.

There's also the fact the phpBB here has a bunch of mods installed, particularily attachment support, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to transition to a different forum system if attachments would be retained.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 25, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As someone who recently upgraded a forum from phpBB 2.x to a 3.x version, I can say it is a royal pain. You need to manually recreate your theme. On top of that, the upgrade reset all of my users passwords, so they needed to create new passwords on first login.

Was worth the effort though. 3.x has some nice features. If I had the money, I'd have upgraded to ip.board though. That forum is very sweet.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 9 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This board is a bit special on how it is arranged with who does what. I know that this is very vague, but I don't want to delve into details.

I'll try to get some more things clear on it in the near future. (I am one of the parties who does a part of it)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

There's also the fact the phpBB here has a bunch of mods installed, particularily attachment support, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to transition to a different forum system if attachments would be retained.

I always found it easier and more reliable to uninstall all mods before updating. It is not so bad updating phpBB 3.x, but upgrading from 2.x to 3.x is more complicated

Reply 11 of 25, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

From a usage standpoint, I'm rather fond of vBulletin; the use of subscribed threads is far superior to the "egosearch" used in other software.

vbulletin 3 was great, then once 4 came out, it was crap... that was because they were no longer made by the original creators, so it now was designed by committees and managers who had no idea what they wanted!

the one thing you have to appreciate vbulletin (3 or 4) though are its many useful features and very easy administration... updating it is fairly painless too... just a matter of an hour or two at most for a typical installation!

Reply 12 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've taken a look at the template and what would be a good place to actually add it ? (Make a screenshot and edit it!)

Reply 13 of 25, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the most obvious place would be under the thread title:

Attachments

• toppagenumbers.png
    Filename
    toppagenumbers.png
    File size
    78.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since we're talking about forum modifications, it really would be nice if you have the option of making the "Reply w/ Quote" and the moderator controls "Delete", "Edit", etc. not so damn tiny. It was funny in the early 2000's, but not so much now, especially if trying to use this site from a phone...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Agreed 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 25, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

I guess the most obvious place would be under the thread title:

Looks good to me!

No I hadn't realised I could click on the little round thing to get to the end of the thread in one click, but it would still be nice to have the pages at the top too.

Reply 18 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing that would be most useful would be to have other links at the top to view posts. Another (more recent version) phpBB forum I visit has the following: View unanswered posts, View active topics, View new posts, View your posts.

And "View active topics" when followed gives you the option to display by 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year.

Too often I rely on my current browsing session, then I wait like 2 hours and come back to the tab to find that "View since last visit" won't display the same list anymore.

I assume this is only a feature on newer phpBB versions. However, if it's a setting that can be enabled, I'd switch it on immediately. 😮

I can understand how it might cause more bandwidth usage though.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I omitted the page 1 of X, but left in the navigation.
This okay ? Or do you appreciate the page 1 of X message at the top as well ?