VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I needed a solution for mounting some speakers to the Ceiling, for my retro console station. The mounting needed to be fully adjustable. (rotate and pitch)

So of course i looked around for junk.

I found these:
-A couple loop end springs
-A couple old rusty flood lamp fixture

SO it went from this:
SLe81h.jpg

To this:
QCZ4wh.jpg

Whats the purpose of this topic? Well, my ceiling mounts actually work very well and it makes me somewhat proud when i convert crap into something useful, just felt like sharing that. Ok its not the prettiest thing on the block but im a rather utilitarian type of person.

Nowadays we all talk about being green and ecological and all... But people are not doing all that much beside talking, imo, (At least around here...)
I think people should not throw away as much stuff and learn to Reuse and limit wasting. So this is part of me acting green 😁

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 9, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

or unless there's enough torque on the large mounting plate to pull out those screws (I have no idea how solid the back of the unit where they screw into is)

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 5 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The the 4 screws in the large plate are solid, so is the ceiling :p I pre-drilled the back of the unit and it is high density MDF at least 3/8 thick. I used MDF screws.

The weak point was the two small screws that connect the articulated arm to the large plate. The large plate is actually the cylinder of the lamp that i cut and flattened.

In the original lamp there was only two small screws to connect the two parts. However my speakers are bit heavier so i drilled the holes again and used larger screws and secured them by using a small bolt on the other side. Then i cut the screw excess flat to the bolts and drowned the whole screw and bolt in two part epoxy as a bonus.

Reply 7 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LoL yeah, up close with the camera and the flash they do look quite spotted but up there in their natural environment it does not show much. :p

Reply 9 of 9, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it's all steel construction and not just a metallic finish coat or plating, going over it with bronze or copper scrubbers (grocery store, cleaning section - pot scrubbers) might do the trick for some of the rust spots.

If all else fails, use fire.