VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So around 4 AM I was a bit bored and thought about seeing what kind of twin-stick shooters were out there which I never heard of. Seemed like an innocent enough thing to do, right?

After a bit of standard searching I find a page about this one that sounded interesting enough, and the screenshot had a very retro look. So I downloaded it, tried to run it, and Comodo, my firewall software, throws a malicious file warning at me, despite letting the game run anyways... Odd considering I don't use Comodo for anti-virus purposes and Avast, my anti-virus scanner, didn't throw any warnings at me.

So I shut the game down to check stuff out and noticed it deleted itself. >_>;

Ooooookay. So I basically say screw it and try doing an image search for twin-stick shooters instead. The top image result on Google looked promising enough, so I click it, and before the page gets a chance to load up Avast throws virus detection warnings at me coming from said page, forcing me to cut my browser process manually, but then the virus is being stubborn and doesn't want to get properly deleted even though it's not being executed, so I had to restart the system and do a boot-time scan to get rid of it, keeping me off my computer for over six hours straight. x_x;

The lesson of the day: If you're bored and want to try out a twin-stick shooter... stick to the ones you know about or that your friends know about, because if you do an internet search you could end up finding one that refuses to exist or another who's webpage wants to infect you. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats why I have a virtual pc. (thank you Oracle!) When I download anything from a non-trusted source, I do it on my VPC. If anything goes tits up, my machine remains safe. The thing boots in 20 seconds. my hardware NATIVELY supports virtual machines so its quick and safe. It does suck for games but thats why I have 20 machines in my garage for. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved is the one I like the best.

For about 5 minutes, "Twin Stick Shooter" made me think of Virtual On, because, you know, it uses two sticks! Haha!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 10, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's why you should use firefox and noscript... it has saved me countless times from crap like this
I use better privacy, adblock plus, ghostery, https-everywhere, do not track plus, and fb phishing protector too

Reply 5 of 10, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMAN wrote:

that's why you should use firefox and noscript... it has saved me countless times from crap like this
I use better privacy, adblock plus, ghostery, https-everywhere, do not track plus, and fb phishing protector too

Thanks man, I have just installed those I did not already have installed.

Reply 7 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolano wrote:

In regards to the twin-stick shooters, I'd recommend "Mutant Storm".

I actually have that one already. I also have Clean'em Up (which makes me feel like I'm going blind because of how intense the glow effect is), Geometry Wars Galaxies, and while I have played Robotron and Smash TV I don't own them.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 8 of 10, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Were there multi-stick shooters in DOS that used 2 sticks? The game port interface should support two sticks, which would be really nice. But ports of e.g. Robotron to other systems often used one stick with a toggle between moving and shooting. I haven't played the DOS port, so I'm curious.

BTW, love the show. I've watched about 80 episodes in the past 2 months. I'll be sad when I catch up. 🤣 Keep up the good work.

Reply 10 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

Sounds like the first one you got was a downloader trojan, and who knows what else it downloaded and installed without your knowledge. I'd take a closer look at your system.

I did. Boot time scan and everything after trying to get the second game threw up virus warnings. The first one really did seem to do nothing more than delete itself. Could be why it threw up a warning with Comodo, since it had the potential to do that. The game DID actually launch and everything, it just wasn't there afterwards. Not to mention, it didn't trigger a warning from Avast. Haven't seen any other Comodo/Avast warnings since. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)